Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw
    • Oct 2009

Agree, not a fan of metal eyelets on boots either.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Saw the new stuff at LVR today. I still don't get the fascination with Augusta - they seem unbendable, stiff as hell, the one piece leathers look plain awkward, and they are very expensive. What am I missing?

Oh, and the duct tape has to go.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sergey Seven
        • Sep 2010

Agree with the duct tape.
        That's cool when it's a punk-rock kid with a skateboard trying to bring his old dead Vans back to life. But when it's the shoes that cost more that 1000$ trying to have the same look - its ridiculous.
        But after all, i like Augusta! most of Augusta's boots look like my great-great-grandfather (is there a word like that? i used google translater ) wore them. and they become really comfortable after first week. but its true, they are hella expensive

Comment

• Peasant
          • Jul 2009

Hype?

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

I personally love the look of most of the stuff. Yes, some of it misses. i haven't worn sneakers for a decade but now I wear these A1923 trainers everyday. A great cross between sneaker

I find it hard to believe that there are people on here who are willing to pay 1,000 for a blazer but are debating the pricing of handmade leather shoes/boots. Yes, they are expensive but relative to what? I pay 200+ for cotton t-shirts from RO and I can't even believe the prices people instapay for the harnden stuff. Dollars really have nothing to do with it.

Hype? Seems weird that people would buy into the hype of such a small community of crazy goth inspired creatures

Seriously, I wish they werent quite so expensive.

Comment

• eton97
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
              i haven't worn sneakers for a decade but now I wear these A1923 trainers everyday. A great cross between sneaker
              ..... Yes, they are expensive but relative to what? I pay 200+ for cotton t-shirts. Dollars really have nothing to do with it.
              Couldn't agree more regarding all your points, but especially with regard to the sneakers. They are my first choice just for chilling...

Not a big fan of the metal eyelets on the 2011 boots. They work well on the sneakers IMO, but on the boots they remind me of Dr.Martins.

No comment needed on duct tape issue
              you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• chomeo
                • Mar 2010

the new collection seems very refine for my taste. I like Augusta/A1923 for its rawness in design and materials used. they're definitely way expensive yet i manage to talk myself into buying them for their rarity and construction.

I can't speak for their quality yet as I don't wear my shoes/boots that much. Yet, as a manufacturer, I think Augusta has much to do for improving on manufacturing consistencies. But then, I come from a manufacturing world where attention to detail is not only necessary but critical.
                Last edited by chomeo; 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Pumpfish
                  • Sep 2010

Fit leading to instant comfort is what separates Augusta for me.

Construction materials can be stiff as anything if the last is as well shaped as Augusta's. It doesn't matter, it will fit.
                  spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I guess I should try them on, but I really don't see how the extra upturned nose and super stiff materials can lead to instant comfort.

This is not a dig at Augusta, by the way, I am just genuinely trying to understand why people like the stuff.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                      • Jul 2009

I think some of the styles are great. Artisinal, rustic, some amazing leathers.. I'd cop if they were generally $500 less - which is what I see them worth.

Comment

• Icarium
                        • Oct 2010

The stiffness is actually one of the things that makes them interesting to me. The rigidity of my boots invoke feelings of durability, timelessness and an indefatigable resistance to change . I'm not saying there's any rational basis for that, but that's kinda how I feel when handling unworn Augusta (Like chomeo I haven't worn my pair much :/). Price is daunting though, but like most things I buy on the secondhand market a lot.

Comment

• chomeo
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                          I think some of the styles are great. Artisinal, rustic, some amazing leathers.. I'd cop if they were generally $500 less - which is what I see them worth.
                          Agree above!

But $500 less would bring Augustas down to similar priceline as Guidi; which I'm guessing is produced in larger quantity? Yet, I wear my Guidi backzip far more than any other pairs I own. They're super comfortable and fit me like a trusted pair of "gloves!" But I admit that my main motivation is to make them look like a pair that's "4 years old" I saw from some random picture japanese website. :)

Comment

• Sergey Seven
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by chomeo View Post
                            But I admit that my main motivation is to make them look like a pair that's "4 years old" :)
                            Haha, that is awesome! I understand you! hate when shoes/boots look brand new/ fresh of the box. thats why Augusta is my favorite! they look like 100+ years old!

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Sergey Seven View Post
                              Haha, that is awesome! I understand you! hate when shoes/boots look brand new/ fresh of the box. thats why Augusta is my favorite! they look like 100+ years old!

i owned one pair of Augustas and sold it in part because it was a little big, the proportions were off and it didn't meet my personal aesthetic.
                              i have seen some that i like, others not too much..........I don't think the stiff leather should be a problem as i think thats more the treatment of the leather, but will soften over time...............Not a fan of Guidis either

its either Carpe of CCP for me, the only exception being my InAisce boots anything else just isn't gonna do it
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• tricky
                                • May 2010

I've bought a pair of thermic boots on ebay (user is here too). Unfortunately they're half a size small and first I couldn't wear them without pain (only the left one), but they've softened up and the cordovan leather is just feeling great. The leather isn't stiff at all and shapewise they're the best boots I own.
                                in Search for Augusta Thermic Cordovan Boots size 44

WTB: Ann D. black high top sneakers size 45

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎