Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magic1
    • Jan 2011

I've heard kangaroo leather is the strongest leather in the world, but I'm not sure. it's also very thin and light. shell cordovan is very hot, I agree. I have a pair that I wear regularly and I love how it ages, but it sucks on a hot day...

Comment

• sinnedk
      Banned
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
      I've heard kangaroo leather is the strongest leather in the world, but I'm not sure. it's also very thin and light. shell cordovan is very hot, I agree. I have a pair that I wear regularly and I love how it ages, but it sucks on a hot day...
      shell is definitely tough, also doesn't stretch as well as others.

i am too interested if kangaroo is toughest?

Comment

• mortalveneer
        • Jan 2008

i think "toughest" is too generic a term for what we're describing.

spider silk has the strength of steel, but that doesn't mean you can suspend a buick with it.

i would imagine that per unit depth, kangaroo leather is the strongest (of commonly available leathers), but i don't know enough about leather to know what measurement would equate to toughness.
        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• tron
          • Dec 2010

most stab resistant (?)
          "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Joker
            • Oct 2011

For my experience, I think horse cordovan is the toughest what i met.
            The shape get strong even still get using.

Comment

• TFXm
              • Dec 2010

By definition,

Toughness requires a balance between strength and an ability to deform under tension without getting cracked or fractured.

And

Tensile strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before localized deformation occurs.

Regarding our case,

The Shell Cordovan leather is taken from the butt of the horse and those fibrous flat muscles contain very little fat and Elastin (connective tissue). Also the fibers are closely packed in nature, which could explain why it feels hot compared to other leather types. As many of you've already said, Shell Cordovan is probably the "toughest" leather available due to it's fiber density.

On the other hand, Kangaroo leather contains a fair amount of Elastin and the fibers are oriented uniformly and in parallel. As a result, it has got greater tensile strength and can hold on very well even when made into thinner layers since the basic property remains the same, ie the Elastin content per unit area and the parallel running fiber bundles.

If my understanding is correct, on the "toughness" front, Shell Cordovan is probably the best until some more closely packed fiber of animal skin origin comes along. On the other hand, Kangaroo leather can retain most of it's qualities even when made into thin cuts, so greater "tensile strength" on a same volume level.

I prefer Kangaroo leather goods during hot days. Donkey leather is good too.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                • Jan 2008

^ thank you for articulating what was an inchoate inkling in my own mind...

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

saw the double zip green boots at h lorenzo today. they are an amazing mutant green that will probably look like everythign

Comment

• SlightRight
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TFXm View Post
                    By definition,

Toughness requires a balance between strength and an ability to deform under tension without getting cracked or fractured.

And

Tensile strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before localized deformation occurs.

Regarding our case,

The Shell Cordovan leather is taken from the butt of the horse and those fibrous flat muscles contain very little fat and Elastin (connective tissue). Also the fibers are closely packed in nature, which could explain why it feels hot compared to other leather types. As many of you've already said, Shell Cordovan is probably the "toughest" leather available due to it's fiber density.

On the other hand, Kangaroo leather contains a fair amount of Elastin and the fibers are oriented uniformly and in parallel. As a result, it has got greater tensile strength and can hold on very well even when made into thinner layers since the basic property remains the same, ie the Elastin content per unit area and the parallel running fiber bundles.

If my understanding is correct, on the "toughness" front, Shell Cordovan is probably the best until some more closely packed fiber of animal skin origin comes along. On the other hand, Kangaroo leather can retain most of it's qualities even when made into thin cuts, so greater "tensile strength" on a same volume level.

I prefer Kangaroo leather goods during hot days. Donkey leather is good too.
                    Agreed there!
                    Kangaroo is the best choice for summer and wear without socks.

Comment

• dmash
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by SlightRight View Post
                      Agreed there!
                      Kangaroo is the best choice for summer and wear without socks.

That's why I just picked up kangaroo derbies.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                        saw the double zip green boots at h lorenzo today. they are an amazing mutant green that will probably look like everythign
                        Love the green, but not totally sold on that specific boot... Is this the first time they've made something in that color?

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

one pair of my gf's augustas...yoox boxed 'em generically so I don't know leather, season, nada, but got them four and a half years ago...

Comment

• doldrums
                            • Dec 2008

pic lifted from atelier blog

the more things change, the more they...

well...can't wait to see some SELF-EDGE boots...must be around the corner....?...
                            Last edited by doldrums; 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• tron
                              • Dec 2010

the shape reminds me a bit of ccp... also the dead end zips
                              "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• brad1981
                                • Dec 2008

i would say that's ccp identicals, are they from the current season?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎