X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Lanvin to open a new mens store on Saville Row

Lanvin bespoke operation is in line with Parisian tailoring costs, although on the high-end of the curve. The suits cost 5K-6.5K, the rest of the range being for exceptionnal requests for rare fabrics and other eccentric demands. Theauthor of the article probablyshowed the full range because it looks more glamourous.

Tailoring costs, outside of the big houses (say Kiton, Brioni) are much lower in Italy; you could go to Milan or Napoli and have an exceptionnally well-made suit for half or even less of that price.

Honestly I just fail to see how getting your own fittings, pattern, fabric choice and handwork shouldn't cost a lot more than RTW. I mean you some of youguys buy badly sewn nike high-tops for 1K (I'm the same for some other items btw [83])and you fucking complain about the relatively reasonnable costs ofbespoke!!

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Real Real
      • Feb 2007

Also, by the way - it's pretty easy to tell the difference between Vicuna and even the highest level cashmere. Go into a Loro Piana store, and compare the Vicuna to baby cashmere, for example. The vicuna feels denser but lighter, and it's softer. Of course, it's not worth the money by any reasonable standard, but it is exceptional stuff. Vicuna also has a sort of singular, ne plus ultra quality to it that has remained consistent for 100+ years - a natural colored vicuna crewneck symbolizes something (in a way that cashmere no longer does), even if what it is that it means is kind of repellent.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

Lanvin bespoke operation is in line with Parisian tailoring costs, although on the high-end of the curve. The suits cost 5K-6.5K, the rest of the range being for exceptionnal requests for rare fabrics and other eccentric demands. Theauthor of the article probablyshowed the full range because it looks more glamourous.

Tailoring costs, outside of the big houses (say Kiton, Brioni) are much lower in Italy; you could go to Milan or Napoli and have an exceptionnally well-made suit for half or even less of that price.

Honestly I just fail to see how getting your own fittings, pattern, fabric choice and handwork shouldn't cost a lot more than RTW. I mean you some of youguys buy badly sewn nike high-tops for 1K (I'm the same for some other items btw [83])and you fucking complain about the relatively reasonnable costs ofbespoke!!

[/quote]

Actually, ordering a $4k "bespoke" suit from Carol without trying it on - that's freaky!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
          • Aug 2007

^ Lol. It is freaky.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Did you get it adjusted btw, how's the overall fit? Satisfied?

Comment

• Diego
              • Aug 2007

I did Fuuma, closed the vent and looks great, thanks. I'm starting to have some durability issues but nothing serious, I'll take it with me to NY and send it to the tailor again when I come back.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Durability? Do you wear it everyday? Otherwise maybe you just need to admit it's not going to stay pristine forever[75]

Comment

• ddohnggo
                  • Oct 2006

i think it's the cotton/paper material. i know that some members have mentioned durability issues with that specific material.
                  Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Diego
                    • Aug 2007

Exactly, I have worn the suit twice and last time I discovered 2 details that maybe were there from the beginning, not sure. Both can be fixed so I'm not worried.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

In this case it is hard to blame the designer as using experimental materials obviously entails a degree of risk that the buyer is aware of. And if you really can't stand it they seem to have excellent return/exchange policies.

Comment

• Diego
                        • Aug 2007

This is a first one for me, I own lots of CCP and never had a problem. I do agree that they have very good customer service so that would be my last option.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Albert, when was the last time you actually walked into a shop and bought some clothes? They seem to be bought threough proxies all over the world! Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but are you not attracted to the idea of rarity as much as the lanvin customer. (ccp is secrative designer.) The point is that it's pointless to critisize these things since everything that we buy is ludicrously indulgent in the contextof what the vast majority of people in the world have. it's all just degrees after that.[/quote]

Last time I was at Atelier was but about a month ago :) Wish I could go more often.

I understand the concept of rarity, but rarity for rarity's sake is just odd to me. Vicuna may symbolize something in the uppermost echelon of rare fabrics that feel good, I don't quite see the criticism $20k suit as an instance of a "pot calling a kettle black" too much so in this case because even though we admittedly spend RIDICULOUS sums of money but when something comes along that trumps it pricetag-wise, I'm just floored. Degrees indeed but this is one helluva leap hehehe.

Anyways, I got educated on a new fabric that I never even knew existed. Filed away as a tidbit in my brain :)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Diego
                            • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Anyways, I got educated on a new fabric that I never even knew existed. Filed away as a tidbit in my brain :)

[/quote]

"oh uh"

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

^[74][74]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

damn vicunas. hehehehe
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎