X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kompressorkev
    • Dec 2006

Re: Lanvin to open a new mens store on Saville Row

the Lanvin store in London was like 1-2 minutes away from Saville Row already. pardon if i overlooked this, but is the Saville Row store going to be a replacement or just an addition?

re: Saville Row and suits, i think a Spencer Hart bespoke suit would be my ideal suit. i've handled some Spencer Hart and Nick Hart (not nearly as nice) pieces before, but the in-store suits (as opposed to the few pieces i've scrounged for on the internet) were amazing. their Saville Row store was super busy. i was there on a Thursday afternoon and in an hour, two people dropped $6k in their small one-dressing-room store. i only picked up a shirt and tie, and will likely go back this week to get a little more; their scarves were really nice but i can't afford their suits right now. if i were fortunate to afford a $5k suit, it would for sure be a MTM or bespoke Spencer Hart. the suits there were phenomenal.

i'd also be real interested in a Gustavolins suit. i guess in part, because this is due to the rarity...but i think his use of subtle detailing is really sharp. not sure how different i'd like my suit to be (no button-closures but hooks, stitched leather piping, etc) because i'd like it to be suitable for lots of formal occassions, but he has some really neat details and some of his fabrics are excellent. they did that one dinner-suit from Collection 008, with small leather accents. i wonder if he does bespoke as well, because if i could afford a $5k suit, i'd like a custom fitting. i know they do Haute Couture, but his prices must be insane...probably a lot more than $5k. i'd stick with the Spencer Hart suit if i were fortunate enough to own a $5k suit. Lanvin may have superior fabrics, but man the cut on the Spencer Hart was excellent. Saville Row tailoring, i'm a believer, but i don't know if Lanvin suits it completely (no pun intended).

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

[quote user="wire.artist"]

I get your point albert, Ferran Adriá says that he prefers an excelent tomato than caviar.

Regarding Cashmere, good quality cashmere is still uberexpensive, I suppose the hype made appear a lot of cheap "cashmere" in the market.

Vicuña isn't a hype imo, isn't popular, it's just rare, like caviar, in fact I feel more confortable and like more design wise some cheaper cotton fabrics, an excelent tomato.

It's true you are paying a premium for the rarity, but it's still an interesting fabric, like caviar it's still tasty independently? of the pricepoint.

I don't like luxury fabrics in my clothing btw, so I won't have the temptation hehe

[/quote]

I absolutely love this comment.

tomatoes are my favorite thing in the whole world- simple and such variance in flavor it is truly amazing- i go to a tomato festival every year[79]

the hype does not necessarily void something of its quality, but I do agree with Albert in that sometimes it really does enable more monetary value to be added to something, not because of its intrinsic nature, but just because it is something coveted. value added based on market does not equal superiority. but interesting nonetheless to learn about something new for me as well. [51]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

^ exactly Kira.

I guess the thing is that a lot of the time, rarity does not equate a true level of superiority. You gotta look paste some hype and also decide for yourself is that massive price difference between something not-quite-as-soft-or-warm-while-still-being-lightweight and something like vicuna is worth it. Ie- $5000 suit versus $20,000 suit.

But of course when you're talking about the latter, the price is really inconsequential for the buyer. That's not the kind of suit or price that one "saves up for" whereas something $500-5000 would be "save-up-able"

There is pure magic in the clean and simple. A perfect cold peach in the middle of the summer is oh so lovely.... the myriad of flavors within a well aged parmigiano reggiano or Iberico ham could easily trump some complex, 50 ingredient dish.

Reminds me of how someone's insane 5 minute long jazz solo using all the tricks in the book can be beat by a single masterful note played by BB King. Perfect.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎