Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

i think it's when we discovered that the music of T-Pain is the best thing since sliced bread (0).
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Real Real
      • Feb 2007

It's a tough climate for Wu Tang style straight-up rap, now, also. I think a lot of rappers are looking for something that can sell, maybe adding R&B/dance elements to their music to make it more accessible, and autotune facilitates that.

Also - hiring R. Kelly is probably a lot more expensive than using autotune to sing your hook yourself.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

i don't think it's necessarily that...it's hard to pin point what gets the music industry going any more these days in terms of record sales. Lil Wayne was one of the biggest sellers of the year with a near record breaking opening week, and yet he ended up clockin in at barely over 2X platinum...and the only 'single' on it was Lollipop which wasn't even that memorable when it came to hearing out at the clubs and such. He did have years of mixtape and internet hype backing him up....

Jay-Z is a smart man by transitioning his focus to concerts...i think that's the only way to make a living as a recording artist these days. Albums, ironically, have become the most peripheral marketing tool just to let em know you're out there and have this collection of songs. Individual videos on youtube will have 10 million views ... and as per example above, how many of those BOUGHT the album?
        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Semi-on topic... Kanye apparently blogged about Aitor Throup last february:

If you google Aitor Throup, this comes in as the second top hit only after Aitor's official site. Ridic.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Bring The Noise
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            99% of rap I heard is shit. Who wants to take me up on this?
            I dont know about anybody else but i love this song.
            Eazy E B.G Knocc Out Gangsta Dresta Performing Real Muthaphukking G'sR.I.P Eazy EFree Bg Knocc Out

Comment

• soultek
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              99% of rap I heard is shit. Who wants to take me up on this?
              Faust, I'd ask what you don't like about the rap you've heard, and then recommend based on that.

Many people I know who don't like rap are not into the lyrics and/or are not used to listening to rhythm based music.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Lyrics is the huge part of it. I find most rap lyrics either a) inane or b) vulgar. I have no problems with rhythm. I like some techno, lounge, reggae, etc.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

I like Kanye's new single "Heartless"
                  www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• droogist
                    • Sep 2006

Kanye West Wants to Intern at Fashion House

Hee!

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

Forgive me if I'm overstepping, and I might get hit hard by fanboys, but i don't even think Kanye's a very good producer (don't even start me on his rap skill) in the first place, even his works for the likes of Common are shallow and lacking compared to the real hip hop greats out there.. Combine this with an obnoxious and egoistic personality, and what's not to hate? Personally, from my observation, Kanye is not a fashion lover, he's just following the hype. That's not to say that people like myself aren't, but Kanye's (and Pharell's) ostentatious image as a PR man for BAPE and Ice Cream not even so long ago is just proof. One might also notice that Kanye's fans usually either follow what he wears or are already wearing it the moment he reveals his new ephemeral image.

Point is, if you want to witness a hip hop genius, I know this is cliché, (but hey, so is Kanye) look for J Dilla, a saint compared to the likes of Kanye, and his humble personality shows through his music. It's truly his passion- hip hop is the love of his life, and that's how it ought to be.

Imo, of course..

I do, however, think that Kanye is moving toward a better image, (and his music videos are improved, I suppose) don't get me wrong, the fact that he's interested in aesthetics is not at all what bothers me, in fact I'm glad he's moved on to better things.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Kanye is passionate about his craft and does not fall in the category of those who pander just to sell...it's just all the peripherals dull the overall presentation. He's much more high profile than Dilla was, not really a comparison I can grasp...but I respect both artists.

yes the people who jump on his style bandwagon (when he himself is usually late to the party) are blind sheep. For me Kanye's always been about the music. I'm interested in performers who display a contradictory personality through their work...hence why I admire Kanye and Brandon Flowers. Far from the best of all time in their respective fields, still I think there's something about them that is more relevant than any other modern acts I can think of. If I had to sum up the 4 most important and relevant acts in American music today, it'd be Kanye, Wayne, Beyonce and the Killers.
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                          Forgive me if I'm overstepping, and I might get hit hard by fanboys, but i don't even think Kanye's a very good producer (don't even start me on his rap skill) in the first place, even his works for the likes of Common are shallow and lacking compared to the real hip hop greats out there.. Combine this with an obnoxious and egoistic personality, and what's not to hate? Personally, from my observation, Kanye is not a fashion lover, he's just following the hype. That's not to say that people like myself aren't, but Kanye's (and Pharell's) ostentatious image as a PR man for BAPE and Ice Cream not even so long ago is just proof. One might also notice that Kanye's fans usually either follow what he wears or are already wearing it the moment he reveals his new ephemeral image.

Point is, if you want to witness a hip hop genius, I know this is cliché, (but hey, so is Kanye) look for J Dilla, a saint compared to the likes of Kanye, and his humble personality shows through his music. It's truly his passion- hip hop is the love of his life, and that's how it ought to be.

Imo, of course..

I do, however, think that Kanye is moving toward a better image, (and his music videos are improved, I suppose) don't get me wrong, the fact that he's interested in aesthetics is not at all what bothers me, in fact I'm glad he's moved on to better things.
                          Spread the word, brother.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                            Kanye, Wayne, Beyonce and the Killers.
                            I certainly hope not.

Comparing hardly anyone to J Dilla is practically unfair - the man was a monster. Unstoppable.
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• gerry
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gaultierfnd200 View Post
                              Kanye did go to art school in chicago and would have graduated, but he dropped out a semester before he had all his hours. I'm pretty sure he has had some time to dovelope his aesthetic. So at the least it will be interesting. Don't write him off so fast.
                              Having been at multiple art schools and having many friends at multiple art schools I can tell you that means shit. Sometimes I want to go over here. Exceptions: RISD, Cooper Union.

Also, that NYTimes article is SO funny. Highlights:

"For years, he has been a front row fixture at many of the major shows and a first-rate fashion editor for his blog (kanyeuniversecity.com)"

"And when it comes to his own clothing label, Past Tell (formerly known as Pastelle), he is a perfectionist. Mr. West has described the line as “a mix of Marc Jacobs, Polo and American Apparel,” and waiting for its debut (which he has said will occur early next year — nearly three years after it was originally slated to hit stores) is like waiting for Godot."

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ Perfection, indeed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎