Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

yeah i know of but don't know her personally, unfortunately. i am envious that you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in such a rich and vibrant social scene. Ehhhh it might be morally and mentally dead and hollow like the way I see my surroundings, but shit at least those dudes are DOIN IT.

the world and our very own notions of self are rotting away before our very eyes, might as well party like it's 1999 and go out in a decadent and depraved blaze of glory in style. Clothes are but something to put on to go outside, once you're at the party at the gates of hell i sure as shit hope you're more focused on the booze and pussy rather than the sociocultural implications of the "pastiche" pasted on your body in the form of cotton threads and leather laces.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Atelier got a Beuys felt suit? how much are those these days?

As for Lepore... she's... he's... a something. She came to Boston years ago and performed some original tracks which resulted in Amanda stripping naked on stage. Interesting to say the least.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• D_S
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        Atelier got a Beuys felt suit? how much are those these days?
        Its for sale?!?!

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

What's this Beuys felt suit? A one off piece commissioned by Atelier that resembles what Beuys wore?
          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• nycd
            • Oct 2006

"Felt Suit was tailored from one of Beuys’s own suits, and can be seen as an oblique self-portrait. Although it was intended as a work to be hung from the gallery wall, he did wear one of the suits in a performance in the early 1970s. For Beuys, the suit was an extension of his felt sculptures, in which the felt appeared as ‘an element of warmth’. He explained: ‘Not even physical warmth is meant... Actually I meant a completely different kind of warmth, namely spiritual or evolutionary warmth or the beginning of an evolution’."

Comment

• pipcleo
              • Jan 2007

y'mean you know tranny-lore but not beuys-lore ?
              shameful

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

cool. i need that suit in an XL and a fedora.
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

JC Report: Atelier New York's Retail Religion

Atelier New York's Retail Religion
                  December 18th, 2008 | New York

With its dark interior, unassuming location on Crosby Street and hard-to-find avant-garde wares, Atelier New York was initially regarded as an alien, highbrow boutique when it first opened. More than six years later, the specialty boutique has outgrown its old location and become somewhat of a fashion temple for creative types with goth-like, casual-luxe and conceptual menswear sartorial predilections. Last Thursday, throngs of revelers feted Atelier New York's relocation celebration at its new outpost on Hudson Street.

The scene was more than just your run-of-the-mill store opening. An unprecedented number of the boutique's passionate followers braved cold winds and a torrential downpour, descending upon the new Richard Serra, Hiroshi Sugimoto and Joseph Beoys outfitted store like a band of tribal followers. Revelers arrived in the uniform style that Atelier New York has passionately peddled since its inception: a brooding regalia from designers such as Carol Christian Poell, Number (N)ine, Undercover, Ann Demeulemeester and Miharayasuhiro. The typically individualistic artists, designers, writers, intellectuals and Downtown scenesters showed their stylistic solidarity in the form of drapey layers, long silhouettes, languid volumes, distressed fabrics, black-and-white chromatic pairings, skinny jeans and purposely distressed high-end iterations of combat boots. Such an intense allegiance to a boutique's aesthetic is unprecedented in America, and perhaps, even the world over.

"I was really anxious the week before the party. Of course, I knew some people would show because I know them personally, or because they have a very strong connection with the store. But I didn't know just how many would show and I was absolutely shocked when so many people came out to support us," says Karlo Steel, the store's proprietor along with Constantin von Haeften. "It was an incredibly reaffirming moment. It felt wonderful."

But what is it about the store that has garnered such a following? Downtown DJ Mike Nouveau, for one, was eager to tell us: "Atelier's buys are much more directional and better edited than other stockists. They truly know what their customers like, because they are like us—they wear the clothes too." This rep-what-you-live approach is a refreshing break from the typical New York retail experience, as Nouveau further notes: "I've walked into Barneys and had a sales associate wearing all Dolce & Gabbana try to explain the Rick Owens aesthetic to me."

Eugene Rabkin, a fashion journalist for Haaretz and the owner of www.stylezeitgeist.com [8], echoes this accolade of the store's sincerity: "For everyone who works here, it's not just a job, but a part of their life. There is a deep aesthetic and emotional connection between their job and their personalities. This cultural connection is important for me, because I don't buy fashion merely to look good, I respect the designers I follow (such as Ann Demeulemeester and Yohji Yamamoto), because I also have a cultural connection with them. As human beings we all look to be understood and connected, and Atelier provides that for me the way no other store does. This is why I have been Atelier's customer since day one."

Specialty boutiques around the world tout a distinct style to lure customers, but few survive even a few seasons. Atelier New York began as a salon where like-minded individuals could meet and has become a sartorial place of worship with a religious following that also includes celebrity converts such as Jude Law and Lenny Kravitz. Amen to that.

—Robert Cordero

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

ah Mike Nouveau you are on SZ....i read that name and wondered why it sounded so familiar.
                    www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

Yes I am.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

where was that article originally published?
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                          where was that article originally published?
                          JC Report
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Says it in the post title but I guess I should've included a link.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Eugene Rabkin's makin headlines! First the Haaretz article, now an interview :) Sweet
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Spot's blown, lol. I figured I had to come out of the Internet closet one day...
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎