X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • happyfresh
    • Oct 2007

the Supreme book
    Veronique Branquinho put out a career retrospective book a couple years back. dunno if it was sold in stores but my boy grabbed me one in paris or milan or something. so dope.
    funeral pyre. hustler's spirit.

Comment

• move_ment
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      bought this, a pretty nice book after initial browsing. the contents and work featured definitely surpass the design of the book itself - the pink colour scheme and "bold and beautful" written on the cover in a faint typeface/layout are kind of "wannabe hip design book".
      yeah, the layout itself is over-designed in parts but overall the content is interesting. Loved reading about the different collaboration processes in particular. I was underwhelmed by some of the chosen works but that's more a fact of them not being suited to my design tastes. All in all a worthwhile buy.

Comment

• Ghenghys
        • Jan 2011

Can anyone think of fashion books that changed the course of Fashion, or were 100% representative of their time, or were somehow firsts of their kind? For example, Les Robes de Paul Poiret (1908) introduced the widely-copied idea of the deluxe catalog; Steichen's article in Art et Decoration (1911)and its photos of Poiret dresses is seen by some as the first article to consider fashion as a fine art; David Bailey's Box of Pin Ups totally capture the zeitgeist of 60s London; etc.

Any others?

Comment

• Arizona
          Banned
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
          Odd post this. I was going to post a catch up post basically mentioning my favourite fashion books like sample, antwerp 6, fashion at the edge, young europeans, The Measure, etc etc

However, when I looked across my bookshelves at the fashion and art and music books ( the big hardbacks with glossy pages, not the theory stuff ) it occurred to me that so many interesting aesthetics are communicated outside of "Fashion Publications" - I love fashion magazines but some of my most inspiring images are in the pages of books about history, or music or art.

Anyone care to share the NON-fashion books that have influenced your thoughts on clothes and style?

EDIT - don't mean to derail the thread, I appreciate that some may prefer the topic to be kept solely on books that are strictly fashion focused but I also suspect that many people have some gems to share........ also I guess many designers find their inspiration in places other than the pages of fashion monographs!
          check out (un)fashion. http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/(un...810945005.html

Comment

• cremaster
            • Jan 2010

For all those fans of Patti Smith, an upcoming photographic book on her which looks quite interesting -

Comment

• cremaster
              • Jan 2010

and this one on men's style. It will be interesting to see who and what is included.
              Welcome to Laurence King Publishing. Established in London in 1991, Laurence King Publishing is now recognised as one of the world’s leading publishers of books and gifts on the creative arts. Visit our site for a range of books, gifts and activities.

Comment

• fink
                • May 2009

Really surprised no one has mentioned any august sander publications yet...

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

What do they have to do with fashion?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fink
                    • May 2009

I don't necessarily feel a book needs to say "fashion" on it for it to successfully showcase clothing/style.
                    Simply, Sander's work emphasizes the style of the people he photographed.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

i don't think it was Sander's intention to capture style. he was a photo-ethnographer that was set out to record german culture in his time..

Comment

• fink
                        • May 2009

Never said it was his intention.
                        ;)

Comment

• tweeds
                          • Sep 2006

Does anyone have this, and what do they think of it? The excerpts I skimmed through on Google Books look well written and fairly interesting. Fashion as cultural production, interpreting & examining the significance of the arrival of japanese fashion in paris, etc. Thinking of getting a copy.

dis got me started looking for this, what with his Mitsuhiro Matsuda hat and all...
                          SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ My girlfriend is reading it. She likes it, but it is quite academic.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

Currently reading The Empire of Fashion. I like it.....
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• tweeds
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust, may just pick it up when i get a moment, seems like a book that will be a keeper. Academic is always good - interestingly Kawamura seems to be/used to be a teacher at FIT.
                                SITE | TWITTER

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎