X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cool Fashion Books?

Cool fashion book - Rei Kawakubo and Comme des Garcons by Dejan Sudjic. This is my favourite fashion book. Very well written, great photography. The pictures of the comme stores from the 80s are fascinating. So austere, but at the same time groundbreaking. Those things that became cliches of minimalism (the stores with no clothes or clothes only behind facades) just seemed "meant", and real, not pretentious- a new way of looking at retailing. Guess she's tried the same idea (new way of retailing) with DSM, but in the 00s, things are done differently.....

I got it in The Library in london

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I'm sure it will.

There is also this, which is rather imposing, but good for reference and overview. I recommend checking it out of the library to see if it suits you.

[/quote]

Yes, definitely on my list. Caroline Evans refers to it a lot in Fashion at the Edge.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
        • Jan 2007

Denis Hollier reviews books on fashion [:|] This is the man who edited half of my course books...

An antidote to Sofia, from NYT's hot list, Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore To The Revolution:

www.amazon.com

the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

Via JC Report

Chaotic Vision Helmut Lang puts everything but the kitchen sink on display in the Selective Memory Series: The Helmut Lang Purple Book. The Selective Memory Series delves into the core of Lang's creativity, featuring a continuing progression fraught with randomness, notes, visuals, documents, sketches, and letters. Work in this particular installment dates back to 1986, and does not seek to prove anything definitive. Rather, it's a glimpse into Helmut Lang's genius, in which bits of inspiration run amidst a chaotic vision. Perhaps some of his brilliance will inspire a young design student at Parsons.

Is this a new book coming out, or a recap on an older Lang piece? It sounds fascinating.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Princeofcats, I read that Marie Antoinette book too--very curious to know what you think of it. She's written some very critical reviews of Sofia, actually. Apparently she offered to serve as adviser on the film, but Sofia said she didn't want any "stuffy professors" around. [:P]
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Princeofcats, I read that Marie Antoinette book too--very curious to know what you think of it. She's written some very critical reviews of Sofia, actually. Apparently she offered to serve as adviser on the film, but Sofia said she didn't want any "stuffy professors" around. [:P]
              [/quote]

Sophia is the most hyped up thing since sliced bread. [:P]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Recommended by Kaiser Karl, by way of Cathy Horyn....looks fascinating.

Broken Threads: The Destruction of the Jewish Fashion Industry in Germany and Austria

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I've herd about that book somewhere.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Yohji Yamamoto - Talking to Myself. I checked it out yesterday - it's gorgeous, and I love the DIY feel of the book.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

I've always wanted that book! I've just found it difficult to purchase it sight unseen given the price.

What's the content like, Faust? More text or images?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

I've always wanted that book! I've just found it difficult to purchase it sight unseen given the price.

What's the content like, Faust? More text or images?

[/quote]

Worth the dough, I think. Mostly image, beautiful, black and white, some text in Japanese throughout and in English in the back. There are actually two books.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

i've been trying to find that old yohji book rewind/forward! i hate limited editions. sad thing is when it came out it was 30$ but finding it at that price will be difficult. btw that boxset sounds similar in content (rewind/forward is from 2001, and is sort of a photographic retrospect of his collections from 95-00).

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

Where can one acquire that Yohji book? I'm guessing it's a couple hundred?
                            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Where can one acquire that Yohji book? I'm guessing it's a couple hundred?[/quote]

No, only Rick Owens is obnoxious enough to charge such money. It was $130 at the time of publication. Out of print now.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                                ¤¤¤
                                • Sep 2006

$130! Apparently the two volume set had 7,000 copies printed.

I managed to source down a local bookstore that was selling it for around $400 but they sold their only copy.

Where did you see it, Faust?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎