Clear All
  • business
    • Mar 2009

R.I.P

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by swami View Post
      Happiness might be a wrong choice but I cannot think of a better noun for what I mean.
      I would like to think happiness is a state of being content with yourself as a human & how uncomprimising you are with your beliefs & having the strength to overcome lifes problems.

it would be better for us to just process this loss as it is without speculating............I have been doing that all morning, but can't without coming up with a perspective that isn't rampant with misjudgment.

As to what caused this we can never know accurately, and he is no longer here to explain..............Sad Day.......... really sad day.....

the world has lost a great human being, one that has contributed so much to an area of personal and professional life that we all love. Lets just see it as such and little more beyond that.

May God help his surviving family and friends to deal with this great loss and the sorrow and anguish that comes with it.
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

This is the absolutely worst birthday surprise I've ever had. I found out on the metro, just as I was about to go to my first sewing class. I sewed every stitch in honour of him, and I'm literally on the verge of crying while typing this. I am shocked, and devastated. there's a void now. He was my hero. I can't stop thinking about all the incredible beautiful ideas we'll never see.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

39 seconds in shows why McQueen's runway shows were second to none–not even Galliano. Pure theatre, pure vision. And if critics didn't like it, he was the first to turn around & drop his pants to show them just how much he cared.

This moment from his S/S 1999 women's collection has always been a favorite of mine.

sain't

Comment

• Sion
            • Mar 2009

Wow, this is shocking and truly sad news. Rest in peace...

Comment

• laughed
              • Jul 2009

This is the first time in a while - maybe ever - where I am actually in shock at the death of someone and I actually feel sad. I didn't know the guy but I can't explain it. I will give you every cliche - "The WORLD lost a really really amazing person." Man, it is so true. For years I appreciated his work but it is really hitting me the amount of great work he turned out and what it actually meant to me. The many people he influenced positively. Am I wrong in saying that he is what, top 3 greatest designers of our generation?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ I feel the same way. I wrote something along these lines - just finished the obituary, and feel kind of empty...
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

Well here we go with a story...I obviously have known of AM for about 10 years. The first thing I saw of his was some sort of blood spattered shirt. As I said, I always like the guy but was never in love with his work. I will say that the Kate Hologram blew me away and gave me chills, but before then, I certainly admired his work but more about that later...Anyway, time goes on...Mother's Day comes around. I went to one of those fragrance shops, you know where they sell every fragrance you can think of, even the old Balenciaga for men. Well I was thinking of getting mom something she would like but I just couldn't help myself - I saw the box for Alexander McQueen's Lovebomb and the guy wouldn't open up the box and let me smell it. I bought it anyway. I couldn't stand it so before I even took it home to mom, once I got out to my car I opened the cellophane and smelled it. I was SHOCKED! It smelled like nothing I had smelled before and guess what - I was certain mom wouldn't love it. When you open the box there is a little diagram of how to spray it - i just remember that really well. Before I gave this "shocking" fragrance to mom I went into a story about how great of designer he was, artist, etc. just because I was really trying to explain to her that if you don't like it - maybe you can appreciate these other things! I read later the description of what this fragrance meant and couldn't believe I was giving it to ol' mom.
                  Anyway, Lovebomb that Mom really never wore is sitting here and guess what - It is incredible. It is shocking. It is different. It is something unlike anything I have ever owned or smelled. It takes someone special to wear it. I can truly say that this fragrance IS exactly what Alexander McQueen and his work was. It is the real deal. This fragrance is not just a fragrance, it really is the man himself. His heart, his soul, his beliefs, his work, etc. I am really just sort of rambling, but I honestly mean this.
                  I will say this - Rick Owens and Martin Margiela and others, Sander, the underground fellows M.A. etc. I love their work. To me there is really no one greater than these giants. But now, it all makes sense. I have NEVER EVER seen a fashion show or presentation besides the Hologram show that AM did that literally gave me chills. That made me smile BIG! and say WOW! YES! I love these other designers and love love love their work but I have never had the chills moment.
                  Alexander has been the only person to give me that. EVER. EVER!
                  For a long time when viewing artwork - I loved certain artists. I never had those moments though when viewing the work- as they say. Until I saw a Rothko at the SFMoma. It felt as if light was shining off the piece. It made me smile and see the greatness in art. It is the greatest moment in my art viewing life I have ever had.
                  To me, the Hologram show by Alexander McQueen is the greatest fashion presentation EVER. For me at least.
                  Again, I am not jumping on the death bandwagon. But it is really hitting me, because I think too that you know what - his work DID shock me. I just didn't know it because I'm not one to think things can shock me. He did it the right way - with taste so to say. His work did strike a major chord with me and for the longest time I have been in love with designers who well, are a little more under the radar. I think his mass appeal did turn me off, but you know what...just like his fragrance, I now smell and feel his work, his life, his soul, his heart - everything. IT IS REAL. And now the reality of having known through various channels of media and mediums Alexander McQueen - I am just now beginning to make sense of what his work has meant to me. I am BLESSED beyond belief to have known him through pages of a book, video clips, the fabric, the cuts, the collection, the presentations - the fragrance, everything. As I smell the fragrance again it is musky, but now it is sweet. It is just flat-out mysterious. I read after buying it that it is supposed to smell like well, in so many words - a woman. Her sex let's say. Well guess what ALEXANDER MCQUEEN - YOUR WORK IS YOUR LIFE - I SMELL THE WOMAN - I SMELL THE MAN - I SMELL THE ARTIST - YOU have left us with so many great things and I can promise you Alexander that Your work will always be VERY VERY DEAR TO ME. I didn't know you as a person, but as an artist and designer myself - I am understanding more and more your work - your work has really really really spoken to me. I will always love you my friend.
                  And to my stylezeitgeist friends - thank you for allowing me to ramble. And please understand I am not saying this as a Kim Kardashian tweet. I really can't believe the way that I feel now. I never expected it. Alexander McQueen WAS someone that was truly an influence in my life and my work - I didn't realize it to be so much. But anyway, that's it - Alexander McQueen - this is no bs wherever you are - There will NEVER be anyone like you - and I appreciate everything you have done while you were here.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

Very saddened. I'm going to be in the library tomorrow so I'm going to scan as much of his work / old collections that we have in the picture collection / season release books for posting.
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

This is one of my strongest moments with his vision. Him and björk together pretty much makes anything fade away. Such raw sexuality and humanity, beauty, horror, decadence. holy crap it's awesome.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• almroth
                        • Jul 2008

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

One of the first pair of unusual legs made for Aimee Mullins was made by Alexander McQueen. Closeup of his legs just after 5 minutes.

Also from the 1999 runway I believe.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

R.I.P.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

Ah, don't have too much time now but soon enough I hope to grab all of them and compile them together. Until then here are the two from 99.

hxxp://www.filefactory.com/file/b00fe15/n/_Summer_1999.zip
                              hxxp://www.filefactory.com/file/b00fe7h/n/_Winter_1999.zip

Comment

thank you Eugene. I perfectly agree with everything you wrote. It's a comfort knowing others appreciated his work just as much as I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎