X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Do increasing prices affect your consumption?

/\ this is interesting. Who is Paul Mazur? I am looking for culprits, he seems like a good one.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

I believe Paul Mazur was an investment banker by trade. He was business partner to Edward Bernays. Bernays is the culprit you seek Faust. He is the one responsible for integrating the insights of his uncle (Sigmund Freud) to create the "modern science of mass persuasion", which was based on the manipulation of subconscious feelings and impulses as opposed to appealing to one's sense of reason.
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="DHC"]I believe Paul Mazur was an investment banker by trade. He was business partner to Edward Bernays. Bernays is the culprit you seek Faust. He is the one responsible for integrating the insights of his uncle (Sigmund Freud) to create the "modern science of mass persuasion", which was based on the manipulation of subconscious feelings and impulses as opposed to appealing to one's sense of reason.
        [/quote]

Thank you. Time to do some research.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Incroyable
          • Mar 2007

Re: NYT article on rising retail prices.

[quote user="Fuuma"]

?Price is part of the status of certain luxury items,? said Marvin Traub, a retail consultant in New York

This is the kind of insights corporations pay top $$$ for.

Intresting article, what does it tell you about the American luxuryconsumer?

[/quote]

Certainly that as the luxury brand becomes more and more expensive, exclusivity and luxury are perceived to "go up" which then coerces the average consumer to purchase more of the cheap goods like perfumes and handbags. They come closer to that "lifestyle" however insipid that term is.

I feel that this trend was largely started by Tom Ford's resurgence of Gucci as a fashion powerhouse.

Comment

• DHC
            • Jul 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="DHC"]I believe Paul Mazur was an investment banker by trade. He was business partner to Edward Bernays. Bernays is the culprit you seek Faust. He is the one responsible for integrating the insights of his uncle (Sigmund Freud) to create the "modern science of mass persuasion", which was based on the manipulation of subconscious feelings and impulses as opposed to appealing to one's sense of reason.
            [/quote]

Thank you. Time to do some research.

[/quote]

No worries. Please do keep us updated on any findings. [75]

Originally posted by Faust
            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Re: NYT article on rising retail prices.

[quote user="Incroyable"][quote user="Fuuma"]

?Price is part of the status of certain luxury items,? said Marvin Traub, a retail consultant in New York

This is the kind of insights corporations pay top $$$ for.

Intresting article, what does it tell you about the American luxuryconsumer?

[/quote]

Certainly that as the luxury brand becomes more and more expensive, exclusivity and luxury are perceived to "go up" which then coerces the average consumer to purchase more of the cheap goods like perfumes and handbags. They come closer to that "lifestyle" however insipid that term is.

I feel that this trend was largely started by Tom Ford's resurgence of Gucci as a fashion powerhouse.

[/quote]

I agree. Moreover, as more money is racked in by the fashion houses from perfumes and accessory sales the more it allows them to indulge in this kind of pricing.

However, this does not account for the likes of Ann Demeulemeester, Yohji Yamamoto (yes, Y-3, but there is no way this line of a few years old can account for his sartorial success), Dries van Noten, Martin Margiela, and a few others whom I surely missed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

[/quote]

Thank you indeed, I'm going to look into this as well. Should make for some interesting reading over the weekend!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎