Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

A reasonable assessment on the challenges a new designer faces, Beardown, but I'm not sure where the derivative comments come from. I appreciate that he has been evolving rather organically, establishing personal codes in terms of details/cuts/materials to create a strong personal aesthetic base to build from.

I do agree, going high priced ultra-luxury probably makes it even harder to break into the fashion firmament, but his price to quality ratio is really much better than more established designers like Rick and Ann.

The tailored wear is the most expensive of his output but it's exquisite quality. The rest is pretty reasonable, for example I just got a cashmere knit that retailed for only $375.

I like that it's minimal but with interesting details and silhouettes. The pants are especially great, unique shapes while still being wearable, unlike DD who for my taste goes wayyyy too oversized to make it easy to incorporate into one's wardrobe.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like I work for the guy, but I've just been really excited about a few recent purchases from the F/W collection... Siki if you're out there, I'll do music for your shows in exchange for clothes
    music

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
      A reasonable assessment on the challenges a new designer faces, Beardown, but I'm not sure where the derivative comments come from.
      Seriously?

Aside from the 90% black, drop crotch, cropped pants, dangling things?

We could start at Damir Doma, SS 2008 and go from there I guess. I see a lot of different designers in these pieces. That's what 'derivative' means and a lot of that goes on in fashion and I think the term applies to many designers these days who are creating for the kind of SZ niche that exists.

But you tend to disagree with most of the things I comment on so I'm not too surprised that you would feel that way here. Especially since it's a brand you feel so personally attached to.
      Last edited by beardown; 01-30-2012, 03:01 AM.
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

^Hey, I don't have any beef with you even if we disagree sometimes, we're both Ohio boys we should get along. I really have no personal investment in this brand other than I think he's a good designer who keeps improving and that's exciting.

Of course I know what derivative means and no designer pulls ideas out of thin air, but I think it's a bit harsh of a claim here (with all its negative connotations). This is far too clean and tailored to be comparable to Damir and lacks the sporty glunge of Rick. Certainly he's designing in a similar genre as those appreciated on here, but I think he does a pretty good job of differentiating himself and presenting an original vision. I believe the inspiration for some of the silhouettes derives from traditional Japanese clothing, not just ripping off some recent trends. The design of this pant for example is quite clever and I can't say I've seen anything like it:
        music

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

Lol, Haider did one exactly like it last season.

I agree about the derivative comments, I do see a lot of Rick and Damir in this. It's not identical of course, but I can't see some sort of individuality here, I feel like I've seen all of this before. Maybe it's the conventional styling.

A fucking ugly collection nonetheless.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

im sure it's wellmade and all, but it looks dull and doesn't evoke any feelings or thoughts to me through these pictures. I don't see any energy.

Comment

• xallhopelstx
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
              im sure it's wellmade and all, but it looks dull and doesn't evoke any feelings or thoughts to me through these pictures. I don't see any energy.
              I feel the same way, but I think that feeling is generated more by the photos and modeling than the clothing. The vibe is very blah..

but when I take a closer look at the clothing. I really love what I am seeing. Seems like great mix and match pieces that span a broad range of styles.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎