Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theconsumer
    • Feb 2009

Shucks, I find your 1930s ski gear idea really convincing. Also matches the name of the collection and Clark Gable reference. Still, the name might refer to something else entirely.

Comment

• theconsumer
      • Feb 2009

Nonsense. If Rick can, so can you. Or are you older than that ?

Originally posted by Dane View Post
      Well said...and I agree...I'm too old to be wearing oversized sneakers and dropcrotch shorts...I appreciate having a bit more "class" in his selection.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by theconsumer View Post
        Nonsense. If Rick can, so can you. Or are you older than that ?
        I don't have the luxury of being my own employer, as Rick is.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Lane
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
          The pragmatic fact is that noone can be convinced to buy a fifth or sixth black leather jackets when the differences between each are and can be only marginal when the designer is supposed to remain consistant in his with a recongizable design signature - Noone likes to be served the same dish every day - I like my home made lasagna but it would certainly become a dull taste if I have it every day... I can enjoy both a good leather jacket and a suit if they are both made in about the same design ethos as for what I came to appreciate Rick Owens for.

Vice versa, I don't think anyone would buy a Rick Owens suit if they do not feel attracted by his sense of cutting or the brand image he communicates - As has been said a dozen of times, this is far from the parameters of conventionally commercial menswear and as you well said - it's got a lot to do with the styling of the individual garments themselves. Depending on the choice of colours or materials, these pieces could easily conjure the same image as some of Rick's earlier collections.
          I'm not after a new leather design whatsoever. Hes already done that so many times, and the newer iterations have become mundane as you have said.

I just saw an initial stark contrast between his usual and these last two collections. I thought Limo was really nice for a rick collection, it balanced everything about him that I enjoyed more so than this upcoming one.

I see everyones point of view, and I think DRRK has a good one since I can't disagree that he is creating more options, I wasn't thinking about that earlier, but that certainly does hold true. I've been exploring other avenues lately to get my more "formal" wear, and this is certainly a way for a diehard to find a balance between street and elegance. I just don't see myself wearing high waisted pants anytime soon myself, though.

honestly, there's probably more to appreciate once its on the racks, but as a presentation on the runway I was kinda left unsatisfied. Especially with some of the awkward looks like the michelin man one.

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

I am and I still feel like I should make more of an effort sometimes...
            Fuck, do employers actually tell you what to wear? Unless my people come in SS uniform I don't care...
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
              I am and I still feel like I should make more of an effort sometimes...
              Fuck, do employers actually tell you what to wear? Unless my people come in SS uniform I don't care...
              We have a dress code, yes.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• theconsumer
                • Feb 2009

Ricks formal jackets are too weird for any office having a dress code. Shoulders, sleeve length, sodomy flaps, everything crosses the line. I just don't see how this collection improves the lives of those who have to be careful what they wear because of their work.

You can wear a lot of his "ordinary" stuff (jackets, jeans, boots, some sneakers) even to advanced old age without looking too much out of place in informal setting, but this is hardly a new development or addresses the work situation.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

I'm comfortable wearing his jackets at the office. They don't tell me what my jackets have to look like, only that I must wear one. No different than wearing a CDG jacket that has some odd features.

I'm just saying that personally, I'm fine with a more "mature" look coming from him, because I'm not comfortable wearing unstructured, casual clothing all the time. Only a personal preference.

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

I'm confused. Since when was formal clothing and streetwear mutually exclusive in one's general attire? You don't need to depart from street clothing to wear a suit, it's just for different days. I don't believe that the old fans of Rick (in their chunky leather sneaks, drop crotches and destroyed leather) never put on any formal clothing. So to say he's appealing to a different consumer in general is bit too far of a stretch for me. He's just widening his arsenal (executed well or not well is debatable).

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

It's all context, really. I wouldn't touch a suit with a ten foot pole, but that's because of the course of my life.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

even if it was made from CORAWO?
                        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Even if it was made of vicuna.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gcetic
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by theconsumer View Post
                            Ricks formal jackets are too weird for any office having a dress code. Shoulders, sleeve length, sodomy flaps, everything crosses the line. I just don't see how this collection improves the lives of those who have to be careful what they wear because of their work.

You can wear a lot of his "ordinary" stuff (jackets, jeans, boots, some sneakers) even to advanced old age without looking too much out of place in informal setting, but this is hardly a new development or addresses the work situation.
                            I am approaching the "advanced old age" and yet set the standard for work attire
                            ...it does seem that everyone else tries to make an effort instead of just showing up with whatever.......

Comment

• eleven crows
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Even if it was made of vicuna.
                              what if we draped ourselves in velvet?

Comment

• mrbeuys
                                • May 2008

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎