X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jj.still
    • Dec 2006

Re: Thom Browne NY F/W 08/09

I'm not into tb, but after looking the runway... I'm impressed. Ialways likedark circus aesthetic

Btw, it's whispered that TB stores will be opened in Moscow this year.

Comment

• theRenaissance
      • Jan 2007

[quote user="matthewhk"]as i said in another forum, i dig the hell out of this collection as a piece of theatre/art, i agree with those who say Thom's antics on the runway are a way of stirring up media attention/coverage to draw people into the heart of his design philosophy which is rooted in vintage middle americana/JFK era. Take away a lot of the stylistic props that make this look like a circus act and you have what is essentially vintage Thom Browne at this point, the silhouette is becoming more defined with this collection i think (moreso than s/s 08 at least). I'd love to see how people in real life will interpret this collection into their wardrobes, for one i think the 6 pocket military coat is a very versatile piece, i'd hop all over it if i could afford it...
      [/quote]

I'm with you on this one too. Theres just this peculiar allure about whole styling, hmm..

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

[quote user="clay"]

Yo let's not forget Thom is one of the designers that made people think about suits again this decade. That actually helped drive sales of suits across the board.As crazy as his shows and his proportions are, even with limited creativity, I can almost see him now becoming a very important New York designer as he repositions himself to become a real player like Ralph or Tommy.That I believe will start with the next decade. We'll see. I am sure that is where he is headed, all this stuff now was just his foot in the door. Now he has the door wide open.

Like it or not.I bet we will be hearing about Thom for a long time.

[/quote]

Clay,

'it is not very often that we disagree,

but unless he has a ton of money he wants to waste, I dont see how underGod's green heaven this can work

for him to become like Ralph or Tommy, he has to create clothing that regular people will want to wear, not some absurdly proportioned crap. that the only justification for it is that it is well tailored.

When we lived in Jamaica, Ankle length pants were for people (young Boys) who had outgrown them and thier parents couldnt affort new ones, not for adult men who wanted to be taken seriously. I dont know who wear this or who would want to anyways........

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="zamb"][quote user="clay"]

Yo let's not forget Thom is one of the designers that made people think about suits again this decade. That actually helped drive sales of suits across the board.As crazy as his shows and his proportions are, even with limited creativity, I can almost see him now becoming a very important New York designer as he repositions himself to become a real player like Ralph or Tommy.That I believe will start with the next decade. We'll see. I am sure that is where he is headed, all this stuff now was just his foot in the door. Now he has the door wide open.

Like it or not.I bet we will be hearing about Thom for a long time.

[/quote]

Clay,

'it is not very often that we disagree,

but unless he has a ton of money he wants to waste, I dont see how underGod's green heaven this can work

for him to become like Ralph or Tommy, he has to create clothing that regular people will want to wear, not some absurdly proportioned crap. that the only justification for it is that it is well tailored.

When we lived in Jamaica, Ankle length pants were for people (young Boys) who had outgrown them and thier parents couldnt affort new ones, not for adult men who wanted to be taken seriously. I dont know who wear this or who would want to anyways........

[/quote]

you hit the nail on the head, this is what thom's all about. young boys growing up but never growing out of their adolescence.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Zam, unfortunately economic hardship is chic for those blase children who have to look up "hardship" in the dictionary. Just look at Williamsburg.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• clay
              • Sep 2006

HeyZamb how's it going? Still on cloud Nine?

Dude you know how hype can become reality. Thom is an insider. Insiders, the people with power and opportunity love this MF. He is basically rooted in the classics and I gaurantee this guy will turn to contemporary and make a shit load of money. On top of that the same can be said for Michael Baston(SP). MB I really dont get,but yet here he is heading up and Bill Blass as they try to reorganize and move forward. He was on the business side , not creative for his entire career ( or someone correct me if I'm wrong). Yet you know how all these business guys ( Reps, sales, owners, ) all think they can design. I dont think cashmere cargo pants is designing at all. And yet here he is, with a following of rich folk that think he is the shit. No diff from Thom. And yet really creative or at least interesting people get passed by. Shit why isnt CCP getting offersto head dinosaurs that are trying to get back into the groove?

Hell look at Carlos Campos. This guys show was one of the best of New Yorks mens and he got almost no press at all. He used to do Guido, yet his style is a bit Dior Homme meets Ralph Lauren at times. His show was great, cloths were great! Yet we get all this prep shit that everyone is doing and they get all the press. He was snubbed son. Yet we're all talking about Thom Brown.

Anyway bro that's how I see it. Hope all is well and Congrats again!!

Comment

• aruva
                • Dec 2007

Sad reality.Connections,Cultivated press and brown nosing is the name of the game.

Comment

• Honey~Blade
                  • Sep 2006

I consider this even more disgusting than some of the most vile stuff Galliano puts out for his menswear. I know that almost none of this stuff will make it to the stores but it still makes me wonder who buys Thom's stuff at those prices? Heck his clothes are still a rip off at 75% off or more. Something must be happening for him to be able to put out shows every season.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="clay"]

HeyZamb how's it going? Still on cloud Nine?

Dude you know how hype can become reality. Thom is an insider. Insiders, the people with power and opportunity love this MF. He is basically rooted in the classics and I gaurantee this guy will turn to contemporary and make a shit load of money. On top of that the same can be said for Michael Baston(SP). MB I really dont get,but yet here he is heading up and Bill Blass as they try to reorganize and move forward. He was on the business side , not creative for his entire career ( or someone correct me if I'm wrong). Yet you know how all these business guys ( Reps, sales, owners, ) all think they can design. I dont think cashmere cargo pants is designing at all. And yet here he is, with a following of rich folk that think he is the shit. No diff from Thom. And yet really creative or at least interesting people get passed by. Shit why isnt CCP getting offersto head dinosaurs that are trying to get back into the groove?

Hell look at Carlos Campos. This guys show was one of the best of New Yorks mens and he got almost no press at all. He used to do Guido, yet his style is a bit Dior Homme meets Ralph Lauren at times. His show was great, cloths were great! Yet we get all this prep shit that everyone is doing and they get all the press. He was snubbed son. Yet we're all talking about Thom Brown.

Anyway bro that's how I see it. Hope all is well and Congrats again!!

[/quote]

sad but true.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

Just checking this out for the first time. I think in the end you've got to love it. To second Albert, the man's got some cajones. Actually it appears that the collection "proper" is buried in there among all the theatrical wackiness. The day that the raincoat appears in a WAYWT thread over a CCP suit or head-to-toe M.A+ get-up will be a glorious one for SZ. C'mon people, who's going to be first to pull the trigger?
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• gerry
                        • Feb 2008

Trust me guys, the way these pants stack is awesome.

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

Rotmflhs[74]
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[74] at gerry's comment. don't need no J-shape for these babies.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

I know there's a lot of TB hatin' going on here, but I still think there's something to him. Found the following write up from The Washington Post that I sums up my thoughts pretty well:

"Browne's collection for fall was inspired by the circus, and he used
                              that theme to underscore the eccentric playfulness and naughtiness of
                              his work. Browne doesn't believe creativity in menswear has to be
                              relegated to novelty buttons, purple pimp suits or such an overload of
                              effeminate flourishes that a man might as well be dressed in drag.

Browne takes Old World traditions -- knickers, capes, bowler hats,
                              high-waist trousers -- and mixes them with his own quirky sensibility.
                              It's FDR and JFK conjoined with P.T. Barnum
                              . The result is a charcoal
                              gray overcoat that buttons up the back from the hem to the shoulders --
                              a traditional back vent taken to extremes. A standard navy blazer with
                              gold buttons gets red, white and blue corset lacing down the back.
                              Short capes lined in fur are cropped just below the shoulders. The
                              subtle argyle pattern of a pair of socks finds its way onto whole suits.

Browne's work is flamboyant, yet deeply conservative. It also exudes
                              passion. It boils over with his unflappable belief that men -- at least
                              a critical mass of them -- will come around to his way of thinking.
                              Most will surely respond with vehement dislike, but at least Browne is
                              articulating a coherent argument. He is not merely engaging in fashion
                              minstrelsy of the sort practiced by Z Zegna, where men were put in
                              purple satin shirts and big mountain-goat overcoats that made them look
                              like pimps in Alaska. Emotional response to Z Zegna? Dismay."

music

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎