• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto Womenswear F/W 08.09 Paris

[quote user="Servo2000"]

As far as my own aesthetic goes, I'd love to see this piece for men / possibly give this one a shot. This piece / image is the perfect balance between the now-dubbed "Arte Povera" designers of SZ and the tailored futurism of Simons et all that I think is one of the most prominent "holes" in todays fashion design world. There are occasionally individual pieces that strike me as crossing the line, but so far no one has devoted themselves to the idea.

I'll gather my thoughts more, but this piece in particular struck so quickly that I can't help but comment.

Definitely one of the strongest collections this season for women, alongside Jil Sander.

[/quote]

Please do [Y]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Finally got some closeups. I predict the prices for these leather pieces will be not for the faint-hearted (even by SZ standards).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Please do [Y]

[/quote]

To elaborate: this piece seems to balance the "artisan" ideals and sensibilities of our Poells and Carpe Diems alongside the futurism of Raf. The color and styling are strikingly modern (the rolled sleeves, to me, evoke images of youth and forward-movement through travel). Same thing with the "glasses" which verge on looking like goggles. However, as is evidenced by the nature of the leather and the way in which it is worked, it never for a moment abandons it's highly personal, likely hand-constructed nature either.

This fills a hole to me that occupies a space between current futurists designing clothing that seems to argue for a future devoid of hand-labor and garment personality and rather for mass construction of clothing and current-and-forward looking "artisans" who seem most interested in creating pieces that are reminiscent of times past or the dangers of the future (via the commonly dubbed "post-apocalyptic" styling of Julius and co).

The romantic nature of this collection, and this piece, seems to argue for a future in which garments remain both highly personal and yet largely unlike items produced in the past.

There are Poell pieces which have struck me in a similar manner, namely some of the leather survival-and-military inspired coats in highly artificial colors (the extreme yellow and whites) but these still seem to suggest a darker rather than a more romantic future, which to me is more an ideal of preparing for rather than looking toward the future.

I'm still considering, and ideas may change, but that seems to bring my ideas in the right general direction, at least.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Gotcha. I can see why you like Aitor Throup so much.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Beautifully articulated, Servo, and I like what you said so much.[51][51]

It really suggests a way forward at a time that is so saturated with so-called "futurism" (esp. of the Ghesquiere variety, but also Raf), on the one hand, and quasi-nostalgic handmades on the other. And also a way of reconciling someone as old school as Yohji with younger aesthetic interests.

What do we have to do to get more post like that, dammit! [^o)]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

Well, you have to be as articulate as my man Servo for one...lol. Great post btw Servo.
                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Beautifully articulated, Servo, and I like what you said so much.[51][51]

It really suggests a way forward at a time that is so saturated with so-called "futurism" (esp. of the Ghesquiere variety, but also Raf), on the one hand, and quasi-nostalgic handmades on the other. And also a way of reconciling someone as old school as Yohji with younger aesthetic interests.

What do we have to do to get more post like that, dammit! [^o)]

[/quote]

One obviously has to be self-aware and intelligent, duh!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Are you mad at me because I don't hate Karl Lagerfeld? [76]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Are you mad at me because I don't hate Karl Lagerfeld? [76]

[/quote]

No, no. I was just kidding! How can I be mad at you?! [51][64]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

No, no. I was just kidding! How can I be mad at you?! [51][64]

[/quote]

ok, cool. [H] [51]

Another pic of the troop of school girls. I really love the bags, although I don't want to even think about how much a Yohji-Hermes collaboration is going to cost. [79]

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"]

Please do [Y]

[/quote]

To elaborate: this piece seems to balance the "artisan" ideals and sensibilities of our Poells and Carpe Diems alongside the futurism of Raf. The color and styling are strikingly modern (the rolled sleeves, to me, evoke images of youth and forward-movement through travel). Same thing with the "glasses" which verge on looking like goggles. However, as is evidenced by the nature of the leather and the way in which it is worked, it never for a moment abandons it's highly personal, likely hand-constructed nature either.

This fills a hole to me that occupies a space between current futurists designing clothing that seems to argue for a future devoid of hand-labor and garment personality and rather for mass construction of clothing and current-and-forward looking "artisans" who seem most interested in creating pieces that are reminiscent of times past or the dangers of the future (via the commonly dubbed "post-apocalyptic" styling of Julius and co).

The romantic nature of this collection, and this piece, seems to argue for a future in which garments remain both highly personal and yet largely unlike items produced in the past.

There are Poell pieces which have struck me in a similar manner, namely some of the leather survival-and-military inspired coats in highly artificial colors (the extreme yellow and whites) but these still seem to suggest a darker rather than a more romantic future, which to me is more an ideal of preparing for rather than looking toward the future.

I'm still considering, and ideas may change, but that seems to bring my ideas in the right general direction, at least.

[/quote]

I agree with what you said, and i'd also like to note that you write very articulately and thoughtfully for someone your age.

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]I really love the bags, although I don't want to even think about how much a Yohji-Hermes collaboration is going to cost. [79][/quote]

Think no more, laika! RSG awaits. [79]

Yohji Yamamoto for Hermes Shoulder Bag, $7,350 ­to $8,450

The next "it" bag? That's anyone's guess. Still, collectors might want
                            to head to Hermes where they will find Yohji Yamamoto's limited edition
                            shoulder bag in warm brown Barenia calfskin. The luxury good maker has
                            produced 100 in three different sizes; each is available by special
                            order only
                            at the following Hermes locations: Paris (Faubourg
                            Saint-Honoré), Tokyo (Ginza), New York (Madison Avenue and Wall Street)
                            and London (New Bond Street).

http://blogs.forbes.com/findoftheday...amamoto-f.html

Very well said Servo, fantastic post. Will comment more tonight.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
                              ¤¤¤
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]

This
                              fills a hole to me that occupies a space between current futurists
                              designing clothing that seems to argue for a future devoid of
                              hand-labor and garment personality and rather for mass construction of
                              clothing and current-and-forward looking "artisans" who seem most
                              interested in creating pieces that are reminiscent of times past or the
                              dangers of the future (via the commonly dubbed "post-apocalyptic"
                              styling of Julius and co).

The romantic nature of this
                              collection, and this piece, seems to argue for a future in which
                              garments remain both highly personal and yet largely unlike items
                              produced in the past.

There are Poell pieces which have struck
                              me in a similar manner, namely some of the leather
                              survival-and-military inspired coats in highly artificial colors (the
                              extreme yellow and whites) but these still seem to suggest a darker
                              rather than a more romantic future, which to me is more an ideal of
                              preparing for rather than looking toward the future.

[/quote]

I agree that this clothing does seem to fill the gap between the 'futurists' and 'artisans' you describe so eloquently.

But IMO Yohji is not a designer that looks towards the future. In fact, by his own words, he generally does not take interest in, nor even believes in the future. Instead he fixes his gaze towards what is 'now' and more importantly, the time where 'now' actually ceases to be now.

I believe this collection, and the piece you put forward, in fact looks at the ever disappearing 'artisans' of this world, and their consumption by the machine of fashion in the name of 'progress' into, to use your words, "a future devoid of
                              hand-labor and garment personality".

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ I agree. I also think that Poell is extremely modern - I don't know any other designer who matches Poell in taking traditional tailoring and making it contemporary.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎