Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DamageX
    • Dec 2008

This collection looks a little more approachable then his previous collections of recent, it seems like it was made to target the average consumer, that's probably not the best phrase to use but I couldn't think of another way.

If you look at the way the models look and especially the hairstyling etc. (they don't have the extreme hairstyling as seen in Crust), it looks more like your average person walking down the street.

There is probably a better way of saying this but my brain is burnt out at the moment.

I do like the collection, as it reminds me of some of the 2004-2005 collections and I like that he is taking more chances and departing a little from his traditional looks for the spring collections. I loved Strutter, especially the gradient jackets. I look forward to seeing better pictures and of course seeing this collection in person.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

don;t know about that, but while i think it's overstyled, there are a lot of really strong individual pieces.

[QUOTE=DamageX;158560]This collection looks a little more approachable then his previous collections of recent, it seems like it was made to target the average consumer,

Comment

• Honey~Blade
        • Sep 2006

The "elephant" sneakers and boots are hideous. It seems Rick is recycling alot of the elements he uses in his women's collection and trying to adapt them to menswear. Much like his previous winter collection but that was executed much better.

Blocks of mismatched fabrics with different colors on a jacket or coat look really gaudy when not done properly and it shows on alot of pieces here. I understand the need to show something "new" every season or at least showing the fact that you're always moving in a forward drection but alot of things just look out of place here.

I'm sure I will be pleasantly surprised by afew pieces once a closer look can be had but overall I just wish Rick kept it simple.

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Honey~Blade View Post
          Blocks of mismatched fabrics with different colors on a jacket or coat look really gaudi when not done properly and it shows on alot of pieces here.
          Fixed.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
            sadly my first impression from these blurry pics is

this looks casual and unfocused and campy and contrived - like an auto-mash-up of old women's pieces - and perhaps more disappointing than strutter.

as a rick loyalist i'm sure i'll buy into it nonetheless starting with the shorts.

dude needs to take a season off ccp style and re-calibrate.
            After the last one I'd say that CCP also needs to take a season off...
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• KodakII
              • Sep 2008

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

whoah, i actually think tim blanks write-up was spot on.

Comment

• YoungM
                  • Nov 2008

This, like so much else this season, is depressing. Denim skirts? Just like the rick sneakers, it's like he is recycling the worst of nasty high school fashion.

Take the left look, and subtract the footwear and creepy looking model, and you have many a 16 year old girls silly winter outfit, recycled at many times the price and for a different gender. On the bright side, the leather on the right looks ok.

The boots are atrocious- and I was a fan (at least in concept) of the slouchy boots. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous beanies.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

can't say i'm not disappointed. but still, there are bound to be some cool pieces that end up in the stores that i'll love, but based on the show, it is all unfortunately overshadowed by the silly footwear, zip pockets on the jacket sleeves, and cheap looking acid washed denim.

the denim is the worst part for me.

and the shoes
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                      whoah, i actually think tim blanks write-up was spot on.
                      "king of coats" though? I do love how he doesn't take himself too serious though.

On the subject of the vests, they are great now that I can see them from the back, I think this is growing on me like I knew it would. Andrew, feel free to chime in in praise of SS10.
                      Last edited by mrbeuys; 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by YoungM View Post
                        Take the left look, and subtract the footwear and creepy looking model, and you have many a 16 year old girls silly winter outfit, recycled at many times the price and for a different gender.
                        Uhm, dude, like... in his own words:

"My look is about an appreciation of teenage angst without actually having the angst."

Point proven. Next.
                        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Oh weh mir View Post
                          In some ways this sort of thing was bound happen. Novelty is important, particularly when a designer is expected to deliver a variation on theme every six months. The problem Rick Owens and many of the other designers celebrated on this forum face is that they are only expected to be novel in their designs once. Create a shoe that is ass ugly, lacking in functionality, and is exorbitantly over priced and consumers eat it up. Continue creating the same shoe over and over with only slight variations from season to season and its acceptance and popularity will only grow.

Create a completely new piece of footwear (although still rooted in the same concept of ' design an ass ugly anti-utilitarian super shoe') and it is met with apprehension and criticism. Rightfully so, I think it's terrible looking. But that is my opinion, and an opinion shared by a good chunk of mainstream fashion community when he released his first ass ugly super sneaker .

I guess what I am trying to say is that many of these designers claim to design their lines without any particular group people in mind. Perhaps this is true, and although this community typically embraces his work, maybe it's not all meant for us. Maybe there is someone out there this season is perfectly suited to. That person may happen to be Rick himself, but I guess that's his right as a designer.

I have no idea why I'm posting this, as I am simultaneously attacking and defending him while offering very little insight into the subject of criticism. But I started typing assuming it would go somewhere, and I've come too far not to hit the submit button. I'm not a fan of this from what I can see, but I wasn't full of praise for crust either. It is nice to see him bringing color and patterns back into his showings, but I'm not sure if it works with the silhouettes and cuts he is offering this season.
                          maybe you shouldn't have pressed that send button after all...
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                            even more mediocre photos: http://scoute.org/blog/?p=236

I love this shot. A Rick Owens army. I wasn't crazy about the show until all of the models came out at the end and it all kind of snapped together. Maybe the individual looks are not that great, but I like the severity of the angles Rick offered, and when seen en masse like this, one can see how it works. Still, not to worry, there is plenty of regular goodies in the showroom.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by metin View Post
                              Not his best work by any stretch, but compared to other spring seasons, definitely not the worst. If anything, most members on here were just so thoroughly impressed with F/W '09 that this doesn't seem as well thought-out. I think the simpler, sleeker looks are much better. For all I know, the chunkier, more geometric pieces actually look good but are just styled poorly. But those dinosaur boots are just a no-go for me. :|
                              True. How many teams win the Superbowl two years in a row?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

the tank top will give ,e nightmares yonight
                                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎