• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Rick Owens Womenswear FW07/08 - Paris

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="laika"]

We all have personal prejudices that we can't escape, and it's good that you recognize yours! One of mine is that I really dislike Rick Owens (hides).

[/quote]

Aha, I share this prejudice! I was thinking for a while about why Rick Owens seems so completely naff to me and I came up with two reasons:

1) His clothes always look like they were designed by the BBC props
    department some time in the mid-70s, either for a production of Julius
    Caesar or for one of those shakey cardboard set sci-fi dramas (Blake's
    Seven, Doctor Who).
    2) He is personally hideous to look at, as if someone took the singer from the Chilli Peppers and stuck a bicycle pump up his arse.

Now I need to run and hide.

[/quote]

Am now walking around the house chortling like a lunatic....
    dontbecruel, you're my new best friend.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• macuser3of5
      • Sep 2006

See, for me, I am simply unhappy (maybe too personalized a word, perhaps "unexcited"?) with the direction Owens is taking over the last few seasons... In the early 2k's, there was a nice dynamic from the outset: near-Grecian drape set against a stiff, severe dystopian/Aeon Flux silhouette. It was a juxtaposition that in some ways was limiting/repetitive and slightly bizzare, but it always produced interesting results: Such a play of form, shape, and texture, just in terms of general art aesthetics, provides a good deal of dynamism and excitement in and of itself. Add to this the earthen tones punctuated with whites and various industrial primary colors, there is still a good deal of room to explore even within these confinements.

Now, he seems to be less interested in this dynamic and formal elements, and more focused on knit wraps and puffy fabrications, and resultingly, the aforementioned the strength is just not there. I just don't see it as an improvement.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="macuser3of5"]See, for me, I am simply unhappy (maybe too personalized a word, perhaps "unexcited"?) with the direction Owens is taking over the last few seasons... In the early 2k's, there was a nice dynamic from the outset: near-Grecian drape set against a stiff, severe dystopian/Aeon Flux silhouette. It was a juxtaposition that in some ways was limiting/repetitive and slightly bizzare, but it always produced interesting results: Such a play of form, shape, and texture, just in terms of general art aesthetics, provides a good deal of dynamism and excitement in and of itself. Add to this the earthen tones punctuated with whites and various industrial primary colors, there is still a good deal of room to explore even within these confinements.

Now, he seems to be less interested in this dynamic and formal elements, and more focused on knit wraps and puffy fabrications, and resultingly, the aforementioned the strength is just not there. I just don't see it as an improvement.

[/quote]

well put. to me he is becoming more of a reliable, rather than creative force.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎