Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jogu
    • Jun 2009

i think youre rite with the idea that its for a different consumer and by different im thinkin of the ppl on this forum lol , so then i think well why the hale am i not seein it pop up even just infrequently on here ? specially since a lot of ppl here drop mad $$$ on clothing every season . makes me curious why i dont see his stuff more often in an arena like sz where ppl wear stuff thats equally $$$
    but maybe my ass is wrong and gareths ideal market is not the people that im thinkin of in which case i wonder who the fuck its for then if its not similar to tha likeminded members on here

Comment

• Aleks
      • Feb 2009

well isn't the general view on here (not saying there aren't exceptions) that his clothin is too outlandish making the majority of the people on here (who thnk their taste is too pure for his stuff, or too dirty for his stuff) stay away from it? It's a bit of a peer thing as well, why would they take the risk of purchasing that neoprene jacket instead of going for that "grail" geo leather from rick.

SZ might be too snobby for this stuff

I figure that the same person who likes Rad likes Gareth and they're more likely to be out at the night club on their nights off than posting on SZ and wondering why CCP's zippers are so crappy

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

hmmm idk bout that , i think more ppl like gareths work on here than dislike it . i def dont think this forums too snobby for his shit either , i see alot of love for his stuff , just not that many ppl buyin it or at least postin fits of wearin it

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
        I figure that the same person who likes Rad likes Gareth and they're more likely to be out at the night club on their nights off than posting on SZ and wondering why CCP's zippers are so crappy
        hahahaa i dislike goin to clubs often unless im certain ill like the music . id rather stay home and play naruto ultimate ninja storm 2 allllllllll goddam nite on xbox live

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

well isn't the general view on here (not saying there aren't exceptions) that his clothin is too outlandish making the majority of the people on here (who thnk their taste is too pure for his stuff, or too dirty for his stuff) stay away from it? It's a bit of a peer thing as well, why would they take the risk of purchasing that neoprene jacket instead of going for that "grail" geo leather from rick.

SZ might be too snobby for this stuff

I love how random people just love to put words in our mouths.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

I seriously doubt Gareth has that sort of cult following. I haven't looked recently, but not all that long ago it wasn't that hard to find lots of his stuff at 70% off and that goes for both the stuff that was harder to wear as well as simpler stuff like geometric print tanks, leggings, bags etc.

I think he still gets a lot more press coverage than actually sales.

Comment

• Aleks
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I love how random people just love to put words in our mouths.
              Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Mr.Beyus readily comes to mind. Not the floppy pants, but I can see him in some of the priest assassin armor.

I wouldn't say this is particularly "gay," (and we'd first have to define what that means, if anything - effeminate? exaggerated? overtly sexual?) - I think it's just pretty out there, like a comic book. But it's always been that.
              You said so yourself earlier in this thread that it's much too outlandish

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

That was me. You just reduced an entire forum to a cliche.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Aleks
                  • Feb 2009

Well if you, the owner of the forum, bash an aesthetic, isn't it more likely that the newer people who join the forum see this and have it on the back of their mind whenever they look at his clothes in the future?

There's a fair few general quotes in this thread describing it as outlandish
                  Originally posted by old View Post
                  I think it is too much even in the context of costume design.
                  Although some of the stuff like the broken down geometric shapes is really cool and coherent throughout, it seems that it only would only be appropriate in on online game or sth.
                  Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  I think the reason we don't like the mens is because its a gay vision of man; i can't see any straight guy wearing this stuff. His womens is very close to rick but ricks mens is still a straight mans view ?
                  Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                  This feels very dogmatic, maybe those cross zippers doesn't help.
                  Mixed with naive futuristic elements and disco glitter, this is
                  quite bad.
                  Originally posted by jogu View Post
                  i can appreciate gareths menswear and there have been times ive thought bout buyin a few things but in the end i dont cos its never anythin i could wear frequently . maybe if i were goin to some fancy shmancy redcarpet type event ..
                  Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                  Seconding this being a "gay" collection. Seeing visual similarities to drag costumes. The totally unstructured lower half of the body in the men's looks brings out a feminine silhouette.

I sometimes feel that Pugh takes kitsch and fetish and camp and elevates it. Forgetting if I should back up camp being uniquely homosexual terrain: I think Susan Sontag pushed this point home in the '80s.
                  Originally posted by MonaDahl
                  Maybe we can settle on queer?

It seems I'm the odd one out but this collection doesn't do much for me, womenswear and all. It's pretty loud and ostentatious, and lacks the kind of subtlety that would make this wearable for me. It seems like the kind of thing you might wear if you had something to prove...or something. It is cohesive though, and I appreciate that. I wish Gareth would costume design a Batman movie.

My intention was not to reduce this forum to cliche, I just see it as a truism.

Comment

• Aleks
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
                    I seriously doubt Gareth has that sort of cult following. I haven't looked recently, but not all that long ago it wasn't that hard to find lots of his stuff at 70% off and that goes for both the stuff that was harder to wear as well as simpler stuff like geometric print tanks, leggings, bags etc.

I think he still gets a lot more press coverage than actually sales.
                    well I wonder how he survives then, perhaps japanese people?

anyways, if it's like that, that he just makes what he likes, without giving a fuck about wear-ability, then I respect him.

Comment

• michael_kard
                      • Oct 2010

Aleks, there are also posts in this thread which indicate that some people liked the collection a lot, you just chose not to quote them.
                      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Aleks
                        • Feb 2009

I know, I did see those, I considered those to be the exceptions I mentioned in my first post.

From what I gathered those posts saying that they liked it were mostly liking the womens as well and/or liking it as an object to look at/ not to wear.

Comment

• Zenith
                          • Jun 2009

I'm just happy the that he's upped the quality and construction of his wares, they left alot to be desired a few seasons back. If I were a woman I'd be saving alot of money for this season.

Comment

• Catfood
                            • Oct 2008

He actually talked a little about the whole cult-following thing in an interview someone recently posted:

I don’t really have a cultish group of people into my stuff the way Rick does. He takes something and rips it apart. He’s more dragged through a hedge, and I like polishing something and making it as shiny as it possible.
                            http://vicestyle.com/en/features/art.../gareth-pugh/2

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Well if you, the owner of the forum, bash an aesthetic, isn't it more likely that the newer people who join the forum see this and have it on the back of their mind whenever they look at his clothes in the future?

There's a fair few general quotes in this thread describing it as outlandish

My intention was not to reduce this forum to cliche, I just see it as a truism.
                              That doesn't mean people here are too snobby to wear it, only that it's a bit much for them.
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

You recently opened a store in Hong Kong, right?

Yeah, it was set up by the people who run the import company over there. I worked on the design, but I didn’t get to see it until it was built. Walking around the corner and seeing my shop next to Gucci was freaky. Rick Owen’s wife, Michelle Lamy, thinks moneyed Chinese women like to look very chic, like avant-garde punks. I just make more sense over there. In America I’m seen as a little bit niche and weird.
                                So there you go.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎