• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Ann Demeulemeester Mens SS/08 - Paris

It is sad for me as well, but I won't be blind to the changes that are going on in Ann's company since Ann Chapelle took over. I really liked the FW07 in terms of aesthetics, but the quality was atrocious, and given the clear decrease in her costs with moving most of the production to Tunisia, Poland, and Portugal, I don't see the justification in those prices. I don't like the fabrics she used either, very flimsy and low quality. It's all a watered down version of what Ann used to do.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
      • Aug 2007

aww those little pouches are only 95$ !! too bad all my ann jewelery broke after wearing a few times. but ill probably still have to snag one, regrettably.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
        • Jan 2008

I don't see a problem perse, with moving production out. Some of these places can produce a equally good quality, western production places doesn't equal quality. We have examples in Denmark now, in the construction business, where workers are imported from Poland, and the fact is alot of these workers produce greater quality work than the Danish. Social issues are the problem here, because of the danish right-wing governments politics. The market today is much more complex, than we have been use to, and yes the scenario you describe, where quality goes down and prices up is definitely not good signs, and it's very much a problem today, especially for people who think high prices or a designer name equals quality. Today I think the market requires a much more skilled customer. But I must say the pieces I have bought from the a/w07/08 collection(made in Belgium, Portugal and Czech) and the Shoes, so fare, from ss08(made in Italy) is great quality, yes pricey, but then again the lady has never been on the cheap side!.

I had a look at the collection again last night, and the more my eyes are able to strip away, the more I like this collection!

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

I don't see a problem perse, with moving production out. Some of these places can produce a equally good quality, western production places doesn't equal quality. We have examples in Denmark now, in the construction business, where workers are imported from Poland, and the fact is alot of these workers produce greater quality work than the Danish. Social issues are the problem here, because of the danish right-wing governments politics. The market today is much more complex, than we have been use to, and yes the scenario you describe, where quality goes down and prices up is definitely not good signs, and it's very much a problem today, especially for people who think high prices or a designer name equals quality. Today I think the market requires a much more skilled customer. But I must say the pieces I have bought from the a/w07/08 collection(made in Belgium, Portugal and Czech) and the Shoes, so fare, from ss08(made in Italy) is great quality, yes pricey, but then again the lady has never been on the cheap side!.

I had a look at the collection again last night, and the more my eyes are able to strip away, the more I like this collection!

[/quote]

What you describe is a hypothetical scenario, and I agree with that hypothetical scenario, but that's not the case with the state of Ann's line, unfortunately. The cost savings (which must be significant) are not being passed onto the customer, and there is a marked decrease in quality - I am not the only one who thinks that. Those flimsy $2k coats this winter were absolutely ridiculous, the superlight $500-600 sweaters/shirts that people went ga-ga over have a very short life (a ton of people reported holes already), the feather jewelry easily falls apart, etc. This season's prices are even worse - $700 for a vest? $950 for another vest? $450 dress shirts? $500 sandals? $700 keds? Not for me, my friend, not for me. I would pay these prices for something extraordinary, something from her past collections. Do you have her older pieces in your wardrobe? I have her pieces from 1999 on, and the recent stuff can't hold a candle to them.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
            • Jan 2008

Yes I have older pieces in my wardrobe, and yes I've one of these super light tops from ss06, lots of wear, still in perfect condition, I've have one of her wool coats from aw07/08 still with all its buttons, and so on. So where does this leave us? Some reports of low quality, some reports great quality. Of course, I agree, there shouldn't be any question marks concerning quality at all, and no I wasn't happy to hear when some business woman took over Ann's company!
            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]Yes I have older pieces in my wardrobe, and yes I've one of these super light tops from ss06, lots of wear, still in perfect condition, I've have one of her wool coats from aw07/08 still with all its buttons, and so on. So where does this leave us? Some reports of low quality, some reports great quality. Of course, I agree, there shouldn't be any question marks concerning quality at all, and no I wasn't happy to hear when some business woman took over Ann's company!
              [/quote]

I have an issue with the word "some," because you are the first person I know who thinks that Ann's quality today is as good as it has been in the past. I applaud your optimism, but many people don't share it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

One thing before, I'll take a stroll in my, only $1k, flimsy coat! [66] ...

I've to judge from my own experience, as I'm one of the few in my friend-circle who wears Ann Demeulemeester. I can only say that the thing I 've bought has shown so far to be great quality, which is not the same as saying that everything from recent collections is the same quality as past ones!

And again I agree this is not a good development, that you can't be sure of the quality from Ann Demeulemeester, we can all agree on that.

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I've to judge from my own experience, as I'm one of the few in my friend-circle who wears Ann Demeulemeester. I can only say that the thing I 've bought has shown so far to be great quality, which is not the same as saying that everything from recent collections is the same quality as past ones!

And again I agree this is not a good development, that you can't be sure of the quality from Ann Demeulemeester, we can all agree on that.

[/quote]

LOL. Enjoy your walk.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

[/quote]

LOL. Enjoy your walk.

[/quote]

Thanks Faust! By the way, my bad, it's not a coat, it's a short wool jacket,

maybe that's why it was SO cheap! [:o] ...

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Some more looks for SS08...

Anybody know what pants these are? They look interesting.

Love this look with the suspenders.

To be honest, I actually like the sandals a lot. I might have to dabble...maybe....

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                        • Aug 2007

ukkkkkkkkkkk. not feeling any of those. and i hateeeeeeeeeee the sandals. i think a pair of 2 $ flip flops from old navy would look better playin beach volleyball.

oh and a bit late but faust is right the quality is a fucking joke now. especially with ss 07 and onward; necklaces that broke apart after wearing outside twice. sweaters that got tears from taking them out of the bag before they were even worn, loose buttons etc etc...i mean some of the stuff is intentionally very delicate but still.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                          • Jan 2008

I don't know how you people treat your clothes! [:O] ... poor Ann! [70]

On another note her sandals/backless assym. laceups are beauties,
                          you should definitely consider Casius, don't listen to that Rimbaud, bitch! [74] ...

[51]

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I don't know how you people treat your clothes! [:O] ... poor Ann! [70]

On another note her sandals/backless assym. laceups are beauties,
                            you should definitely consider Casius, don't listen to that Rimbaud, bitch! [74] ...

[51]

[/quote]

I treat my clothes normally, meaning they are meant to be worn. Ann's quality has decreased DRAMATICALLY - please don't tell me that I am blind. I see what I see, no two ways about it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]Yes I have older pieces in my wardrobe, and yes I've one of these super light tops from ss06, lots of wear, still in perfect condition, I've have one of her wool coats from aw07/08 still with all its buttons, and so on. So where does this leave us? Some reports of low quality, some reports great quality. Of course, I agree, there shouldn't be any question marks concerning quality at all, and no I wasn't happy to hear when some business woman took over Ann's company!
                              [/quote]

I have an issue with the word "some," because you are the first person I know who thinks that Ann's quality today is as good as it has been in the past. I applaud your optimism, but many people don't share it.

[/quote]

Having looked at some of the spring pieces, I think I am overall more bothered by the price increase, and less with decrease in quality. Some of the garments are her usual lovely gorgeousness; some of them--often the outsourced ones--are clearly inferior by comparison (both to her past standards of production and to the high quality stuff that one can still find in her current collections). I agree with Faust, that I would like to see this discrepancy reflected in the pricing. For example, two of the Branquinho pieces I bought this winter were made in Turkey. The fabrics are great, but the finishing is a far cry from what I have come to expect of VB. I wasn't too fussed about it though, because both garments--a simple jersey and a tunic dress--were significantly less expensive than her more refined pieces.

I guess I'm just saying that there are still some treasures to be found,for sure, but the pricing--as with everything these days--is maddening. Doubly so for me, because there is rarely any good Ann stuff left on sale in small sizes. [:(]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

I would definitely agree that for the price, the quality is not what it should be. I got rid of my Ann knits for the simple fact they like to become loose and hole ridden which is a shame because a lot of her knits are so nice, aesthetic wise. I have also had the problems with buttons but I've had the same problem with CCP.....but no problems with Uniqlo. [75]

There are definitely still some nice items to be had though and I can't write off her clothing entirely, I just choose more wisely now. Her pants and shoes always seem to have better construction though...not sure why.

P.S. Barneys uploaded some new boots on their website for men. Kinda cool actually; They have a nice perf pattern on the toe box and come in white and black.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎