Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

so i already know some retailers who just placed their orders for SS completely passed on skirts/dresses cause they are too 'risky'...

Comment

• moderninc2010
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      so i already know some retailers who just placed their orders for SS completely passed on skirts/dresses cause they are too 'risky'...
      O well surely they will be available at the RO flagships in Tokyo, Hong Kong and London
      I can't wait to try them on

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

There were all kinds of fabrics in the showroom. But I have to say, I simply passed the skirts and dresses over. So, I wonder what that means.

The textured linen that the VMANdude mentions was very nice. There were also cottons and wool and gauzy silk (I think). Drkshdw had a lot of poplin again, but I am done with poplin - it only seems ideal for summer but the fucking thing doesn't breathe at all. Also, there was a gorgeous light gray/silverish denim color which for the first time in a while made me want something other than black jeans.

The taller boots were not as cool as on the runway, I must say. But there is a beautiful very dark copper color on all the footwear - I hope someone buys that.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          There were all kinds of fabrics in the showroom. But I have to say, I simply passed the skirts and dresses over. So, I wonder what that means.
          i'd be curious as to why as well, so please elaborate.. not credible enough as an item? will be interesting to see which stores actually pick them up in their s/s buys...

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Drkshdw had a lot of poplin again, but I am done with poplin - it only seems ideal for summer but the fucking thing doesn't breathe at all. Also, there was a gorgeous light gray/silverish denim color which for the first time in a while made me want something other than black jeans.
          this is true, but i think a skirt which also is open at the back might be fine even on hot days, and i like the snappy crispness and light hand of poplin, especially in items with a lot of yardage... same similar as to why i like parachute silk and sailcloth i think - which don't breathe so much either...

Comment

• I'm getting this.

Comment

• several_girls
              • Nov 2010

I have nothing very insightful to say here, so feel free to skip this post. But I just watched the video and my reactions to this collection: Beautiful! Exhilarating! Masculine! Perfect!

The wing/sailboat sneakers look killer with the skirts and sleeveless shirts. It's nice to see an injection of color, even if it is only beige and brown. Too bad retailers aren't picking up the skirts, I would gladly wear one.

I also understand that comment earlier about having to act very masculine while wearing feminine pieces as compensation. I've been lifting weights lately, and I could only imagine myself wearing a RO skirt once I've got big/toned arms, shoulders, chest and back. Seeing a bodybuilder in a skirt would be the perfect kind of social shock.

Comment

• Wiggles
                • Sep 2008

i was in the RO flagship in nyc yesterday chatting about the spring collection. i only talked to one salesperson, but she said they'll probably be ordering a few, but she obviously doesn't expect to sell many of them (no one does). i think we'll see a few here and there (especially at rick stores, like moderninc2010 said, but i wouldn't hold out to see them at other places that just carry rick

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

thing is, it don't really matter what his intentions are, if all rick stockists punk out and refuse to stock the stuff!

RO should have made these items a small 'must buy' section in the sales campaign, just to make sure they actually make it on to the shop floors. i mean, fuck, i'm willing to buy and give it a try - but if i can't find it without having to schlepp to Paris or NYC, what am i supposed to do???

retailers can be such chicken-shit misers sometimes, even the ones supposedly in the 'avant-garde' game...

i hope that at least darklands (and LVR, who aren't afraid to stock some weird-ass shit...) will take point here!

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

I think it was a similar scenario with the priest dress from .... help me out here, Strutter? Crust? Anyway, very few stocked them afaik, only for them to surface on Gilt of all places very recently billed as something like long sweaters.
                    I actually own one, have yet to wear it... dresses on guys = not easy
                    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

^they had literally 20 of them at Century 21

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

f, if you say it's difficult to pull off irl, then i can see why there would be 20 at century 21..

but i guess then at least i should be able to find one of the poplin ones on yoox in jan. 2013...

Comment

• several_girls
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chilton0326
                          I think all the long-haired and pixie-cut models could easily be mistaken for women from the back, and I think that was possibly intentional. And if you are not comfortable being mistaken for a woman, it seems more sensible just not to wear a dress.

Assuming RO's intentions were serious (and not the result of some drunken "Jimmy Jones" dare), then I assume these clothes were intended for single men with office jobs, etc, not for construction workers, infantrymen, or people in predominately male occupations. Rick also makes blazers for women, and they're cut essentially the same, so comfort seemed the overriding goal of these outfits, not the juxtaposition of masculine/feminine...
                          I don't doubt any of this. That's why I said I would like the juxtaposition, never pretended to know what Rick would or would not like. Two things come to mind though:

1. The male models in runway shows these days all have a similar tall, slim build. Excepting Yohji and occaisionally Ann, I can't think of many designers that choose models outside the usual suspects. To say that Rick intends androgyny (I'm not saying he doesn't) because the models are androgynous is probably a spurious connection.

2. Rick is something of an amateur bodybuilder himself. He lifts weights or jogs or does something for himself regularly, if I recall correctly from various interviews. And Rick creates clothes for himself as much as anyone else.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

i doubt i would start a revolution by wearing a skirt, and frankly i don't give a shit. and i don't think that's rick's intention either - he's not completely deluded. he does it cause he wants to, and knows that a few guys will get onboard, but most not.

i just think the poplin ones look cool and comfy enough for me to try them out and possibly even wear. of course i'll feel a bit awkward at first, since it's a new thing and cause people prob. will stare more than they already do, but i expect what will happen is that just like with many other things i've stretched mentally to try, after a little while they 'gel' with me. or if they don't, i stick them on a shelf in my closet and move on.

for me, i've been eyeing various comme kilts/skorts/apron-shorts for a couple of seasons but either never got around to it or chickened out, but i'm curious to try since i really appreciate the feeling of volume in loose-cut pants/drop crotches/jersey shorts etc. so when rick does a nice lookin iteration, i'm like 'why not'.

finally, chilton, seriously, you think anyone on SZ is basing their style on the "quickest way to get into a woman's pants"? i say fuuuuuukkk that! we'd all be in ralph lauren or some shit like that then - unless we are talking about some very special type of sz-ladies and in which case then male skirts probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker either.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

finally, chilton, seriously, you think anyone on SZ is basing their style on the "quickest way to get into a woman's pants"? i say fuuuuuukkk that! we'd all be in ralph lauren or some shit like that then - unless we are talking about some very special type of sz-ladies and in which case then male skirts probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker either.
                              Well you'd be surprised. And I doubt I could connect to the kind of ladies a RL outfit would attract.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                                Well you'd be surprised. And I doubt I could connect to the kind of ladies a RL outfit would attract.

hah. but yeah, faking it is just too much work.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎