• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    i'd be curious as to why as well, so please elaborate.. not credible enough as an item? will be interesting to see which stores actually pick them up in their s/s buys...
    Well, if I had to do a Freud on myself, I'd say that I don't see skirts as something a man would wear. Simple as that. (An aside - I never said anything about poplin skirts, I was talking DRKSHDW).

As to your point above (and a valid one), you take it from a position of entertaining a notion and then pitting it against what society says. I am simply not interested in wearing skirts.

I am sure some stores will buy them - I mean, Rick boutiques must buy them, otherwise what's the point of a boutique?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chilton0326
      And if conventions allowed men to start wearing skirts or dresses, it would probably come from the popularity of a subtle collection such as this. I think it offers probably the best possible scenario of how the world could look... I don't necessarily think it looks better than a man in conventional attire -- floor-length "anything" also seems impractical -- but it's a sort of look that I think people could get used to.
      You think this collection was subtle?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
        I don't doubt any of this. That's why I said I would like the juxtaposition, never pretended to know what Rick would or would not like. Two things come to mind though:

1. The male models in runway shows these days all have a similar tall, slim build. Excepting Yohji and occaisionally Ann, I can't think of many designers that choose models outside the usual suspects. To say that Rick intends androgyny (I'm not saying he doesn't) because the models are androgynous is probably a spurious connection.

2. Rick is something of an amateur bodybuilder himself. He lifts weights or jogs or does something for himself regularly, if I recall correctly from various interviews. And Rick creates clothes for himself as much as anyone else.
        He wears the same thing every day. I want to see Rick in a skirt though!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sCrAtChy
          • Oct 2009

Rick wears the same shit everyday in the pictures I seen the only time I saw him wearing a skirt is the logo picture on DRKSHDW pieces. Or was that not?

Comment

• swals001
            • Nov 2007

Maybe this is a big if, but without the skirts and dresses in this collection - that is imagining the tops on the usual bottoms and jeans he puts out - this season isn't very exciting. I appreciate it on some level, but perhaps the skirt angle is a bit too intentional and contrived.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

I don't think he will be worried about his profits. It's easy to forget that for every one of us, discussing this collection (what's it called by the way??) over 7 pages on a fashion forum, there are 100 people who have no idea he's doing skirts for men next season and will gladly buy the leathers and trainers.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Exactly. Ooops, forgot to see what the collection is called. I'll ask.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Haha, I seriously doubt that.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• ES3K
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    [...] (what's it called by the way??) [...]
                    NASKA

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

skirted leather pants from this season as far as I am willing to go. I have 19" calves so I look like a nun in skirts

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      I don't think he will be worried about his profits. It's easy to forget that for every one of us, discussing this collection (what's it called by the way??) over 7 pages on a fashion forum, there are 100 people who have no idea he's doing skirts for men next season and will gladly buy the leathers and trainers.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                        NASKA
                        That's right, now I remember seeing it embroidered on socks. Last season Rick told me that the original inspiration for Limo was Nazca lines in Peru, but he ditched that, so maybe he revisited it this season.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

i'd be surprised if that inspiration was used in such a literal sense. at least to me it's more interesting how by scratching these lines into the dirt of a harsh desert climate, something sublime and sacred was created. the massive effort and ambition and the skill / knowledge behind this is much more interesting than the actual geometry / shape of the lines (not that nasca lines are necessarily very triangular either...). obviously i'm just speculating that rick would see it the same way...

oh, and kunk - i'm sure he would approve if you actually DID end up looking like a nun.

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

In case anyone hasn't seen them yet, here are some backstage pictures. The kaftans seem even more wearable, when somewhat liberated from formal runway presentation and displayed in a more natural environment. I don't get a feminine vibe in the slightest. They remind me of altar boy robes.... not for altar boys, but for pupils at the futuristic lyceum of rick.
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• moderninc2010
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                              In case anyone hasn't seen them yet, here are some backstage pictures. The kaftans seem even more wearable, when somewhat liberated from formal runway presentation and displayed in a more natural environment. I don't get a feminine vibe in the slightest. They remind me of altar boy robes.... not for altar boys, but for pupils at the futuristic lyceum of rick.
                              not sure if the backstage photos worked for me. I was 100% convinced by the runway shots but now having looked at the backstage stuff, i have become quite unsure
                              Last edited by moderninc2010; 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                                ...I don't get a feminine vibe in the slightest. They remind me of altar boy robes.... not for altar boys, but for pupils at the futuristic lyceum of rick.
                                come on now...really?

although i will concede i made the altar boy and priest connection too. and in those settings (among others) robes and gowns do not have connotations of femininity. however these designs from rick are meant to be worn out in the world without the benefit of history, setting, and formality to give them credibility. i don't imagine i'll be standing in line at starbucks in a full length gown without drawing a good bit of unwanted attention
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎