X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bakla
    • Oct 2006

Re: FALL/WINTER 07 SALES

Saks seems to be going on a one day sale on Tuesday, the 20th, according to an SA I've befriended (good advice, Katie!). I found Saks to be good for getting the piece that you thought was sold out elsewhere, because hardly anyone I know bothers with Saks' designer floors. Unless people can chime in with their own experiences?

Also, as a note with Barneys, it pays to ask an SA even if the item you want isn't available on the floor in your size. Last year, I got a Dior jacket I get constant compliments on at 50% off, even if it was sold out in my size at the Madison store at the beginning of the season. An inquiry led to them finding the wool jacket in Hollywood, where the shopper is less likely to buy Fall items, and they had it shipped to me for a nominal fee, much less than the cost of the tax that I didn't have to pay!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="bakla"]

Saks seems to be going on a one day sale on Tuesday, the 20th, according to an SA I've befriended (good advice, Katie!). I found Saks to be good for getting the piece that you thought was sold out elsewhere, because hardly anyhow I know bothers with Saks' designer floors. Unless people can chime in with their own experiences?

Also, as a note with Barneys, it pays to ask an SA even if the item you want isn't available on the floor in your size. Last year, I got a Dior jacket I get constant compliments on at 50% off, even if it was sold out in my size at the Madison store at the beginning of the season. An inquiry led to them finding the wool jacket in Hollywood, where the shopper is less likely to buy Fall items, and they had it shipped to me for a nominal fee, much less than the cost of the tax that I didn't have to pay!

[/quote]

Agreed. Eurotrash <> Junya Watanabe. I've gotten some amazing Yohji Yamamoto and Ann Demeulemeester stuff for my wife there. I think they dropped Ann though.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

Heard that the Barney's "public" sale starts on the 28th. Is it best to get up as soon as possible, or does the sale get better as it goes on / or does it tend to just get more picked over? Earliest I can get up there is probably the 31st, either way. I'll probably try and get up to L.A. again either the week after, or two / three. Wait longer, or go early more? What do you think, SZ?
        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

Well, as far as stock goes, they still have a bunch but they definitely don't keep bringing stuff out. Definitely get there as early as you can, a few days isn't going to make or break your findings though.

Also, they will end up going to 50% off, it's just a matter of what will be left over at that point.

P.S. Honestly, I was VERY surprised at how picked over the Ann D. stuff was when I went last week. They barely had anything! A washed leather blazer, jumper pant, plaid blazer, and a shirt or two. All in bigger sizes and only 1 or 2 pieces left.

Lanvin still had a ton of stuff as did Dries, Dior, Marc Jacobs, Yohji, Comme, Jil, and Prada.
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

Also, they will end up going to 50% off, it's just a matter of what will be left over at that point.

[/quote]

I think it goes down even lower than that--70% off, no? That's when things really get interesting....[79]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

Yea, I believe you're right! Haha, I'm sure that place gets ransacked the first day of 70% off.

Shoot, at that point I could actually afford something from Lanvin. [75]

Comment

• CHRIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2006

it went up to 75% last season. (40% ---> 60% ---> 75% ---> warehouse sale)

cas, the ann selection was picked over from the beginning of the season! makes me wonder if they keep alot of it in the back, as you say...? i'd love the pick up that reversible cashmere pullover.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Yea, I honestly wonder if they keep it in the back as well. But if so, they're doing a terrible job at putting it back on the rack, haha. The Lanvin rack however looked exactly the same on Friday as it did 3 weeks prior.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]Heard that the Barney's "public" sale starts on the 28th. Is it best to get up as soon as possible, or does the sale get better as it goes on / or does it tend to just get more picked over? Earliest I can get up there is probably the 31st, either way. I'll probably try and get up to L.A. again either the week after, or two / three. Wait longer, or go early more? What do you think, SZ?[/quote]

Servo, it's a crap shoot, and it also depends on what you are looking for (example - last season I snagged an amazing Ann D. light coat at Barneys first markdown, and it was my most expensive purchase ever. Lo and behold, the same coat ended up at the basement sale at IF boutique for half the price I paid - something that I would have never imagined). I would say it's only worth waiting if 1) You don't give a shit 2) you are XL. I am in the 1) camp, especially in the recent years.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mindrice
                      • Jun 2007

[quote user="Casius"]Well, as far as stock goes, they still have a bunch but they definitely don't keep bringing stuff out. Definitely get there as early as you can, a few days isn't going to make or break your findings though.

P.S. Honestly, I was VERY surprised at how picked over the Ann D. stuff was when I went last week. They barely had anything! A washed leather blazer, jumper pant, plaid blazer, and a shirt or two. All in bigger sizes and only 1 or 2 pieces left.

Lanvin still had a ton of stuff as did Dries, Dior, Marc Jacobs, Yohji, Comme, Jil, and Prada.

[/quote]

same story in boston, ann demeulemeester got picked apart, those double layer l/s with the stripe interrior were the first to go!

servo sometimes you get lucky, but if there is something you absolutely must have, get it now

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

No worries, fellows. I, for one, can only afford these brands on discount in the first place and am just as comfortable in a Fred Perry polo and A.P.C. jeans as I am in Raf and Dior, so I'm never too bothered to "miss" a piece or an "opportunity." That way, everytime something I do want does make it within my price range it's more of an extremely pleasant surprise than the end of weeks of worrying if it well sell out.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• mic
                          • Sep 2006

broadwick59 have a 30% mid-sale right now. some good stuff on the sale.

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

Dior presale started yesterday. I have my graduate composition recital in December and I'm considering getting a Dior suit for it, they have lots left. Or maybe I should wait for Barney's to go 65-75% off and get a Thom Browne...
                            music

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

casem, do you know if the dior presale is open to all people or just preferred customers?
                              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

They try to keep it hush hush, but you don't have to be a preferred customer. Just ask about it and they'll let you do it.
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎