X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
    Funny that you guys think the Rick Owens jacket is more timeless when it is the Julius one that is closer to the classic biker jacket that has been around for decades.
    I'm not claiming that either is more timeless, but "closer to a classic" is very different from classic. There are all sorts of examples of items close to something timeless, yet with some distinguishing characteristic that makes them very different.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MidnightBlue
      • Sep 2009

timeless and classic are surely the same thing ?

jackets that are 'different' and 'classic' at the same time are the jackets to make massive financial investment in. Nobody wants to spend big money on a jacket that might be 'classic' but with no real wow factor. timeless and classic are just other words for boring in many cases.

Comment

• quiet noise
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

MidnightBlue: You raise a valid point, but you forget the fact that in some cases/some people might actually prefere the classic over the eyecatching unique baller baller styles.

If you look at most of the leather jackets that hedi designed for DH, those styles are pretty basic and timeless in design IMO, but they still manage to be outstanding and have a huge "wow" factor thanks to aspects such as quality and cut, and they may very well be worth the money investment. Its all a matter of taste and context.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
          mixing things up a little... :)

or

Those are quite different, just go by your favoured look and don't worry about quality or "timelessness". I don't think either is so rooted in current trends that they'll look stupid in two yrs.

My own take:
          I like RO jackets a lot (recently purchased another one), they're a little more lived in or quirky and less straight up punk aggressive than Julius, they also tend to fit a little looser (with correct shoulders, still a tight fit) than Julius, which I appreciate as it allows me to layer a little. This is not to disparage Julius, which I have tried numerous times and found terrific, but to say why I prefer one and you might prefer the other. To me Julius is, at it's best, a label that represents unrelenting youthful aggression and I find it amazing for that reason (that and the post-apocalyptic undertones). RO jackets have some sort of mature, blasé air about them that gels with my wardrobe in a way than Julius don't.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
            I agree with this...the newer Rick stuff without the wool cuffs seem less 'signature' to me but the fact remains that the wool is functional, warm and classic.
            I have a jacket without the cuff, the overlong sleeves are pretty nice in winter when I let them fall on my hands.

Comment

• MidnightBlue
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by quiet noise View Post
              MidnightBlue: You raise a valid point, but you forget the fact that in some cases/some people might actually prefere the classic over the eyecatching unique baller baller styles.

If you look at most of the leather jackets that hedi designed for DH, those styles are pretty basic and timeless in design IMO, but they still manage to be outstanding and have a huge "wow" factor thanks to aspects such as quality and cut, and they may very well be worth the money investment. Its all a matter of taste and context.
              I agree completely. I take the 4 pocket Dior Homme Jacket as a prime example of something that is classic and at the same time has a certain wow factor and uniqueness. That Jacket is a grail of mine and I'm still looking for one.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Another thing:

Julius: columnar fit (think DH), great if you're slim and want to accentuate it with a tight fit. Watch out for weird bulges. It can look pretty cool contrasted with baggy pants tucked into boots. While you may be tempted to go for an entirely slim look I believe it is more of an invitation to play with volume elsewhere.

Rick Owens:a little more tapered, depending on your build it can either shape the chest, be slightly lose or fit your athletic physique. You really have to try them on before purchasing as the effect can be hit or miss. When it works it reminds me of Carpe leather shirts, sorta make you look tougher in a subtle and masculine way.

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                  Those are quite different, just go by your favoured look and don't worry about quality or "timelessness". I don't think either is so rooted in current trends that they'll look stupid in two yrs.

My own take:
                  I like RO jackets a lot (recently purchased another one), they're a little more lived in or quirky and less straight up punk aggressive than Julius, they also tend to fit a little looser (with correct shoulders, still a tight fit) than Julius, which I appreciate as it allows me to layer a little. This is not to disparage Julius, which I have tried numerous times and found terrific, but to say why I prefer one and you might prefer the other. To me Julius is, at it's best, a label that represents unrelenting youthful aggression and I find it amazing for that reason (that and the post-apocalyptic undertones). RO jackets have some sort of mature, blasé air about them that gels with my wardrobe in a way than Julius don't.
                  Your reviews are quite good. I simply love and wholeheartedly agree with this. It's why I love Julius and enjoy seeing (pictures of) the collections every season, even though I don't own any pieces.
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Vikeid View Post
                    acid etc: dunno which season that ro is from. but this aw version in oiled leather is hella nice. would go for that. im sure that julius also is a real nice piece but personally im not a fan.
                    Any pictures of the oiled leather version from AW0910?

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
                      Do you have a fit pic with your aw06 moto?
                      Thanks!
                      not the best image but what I wore yesterday...

...have owned this jacket for three years now, still one of my favorite pieces

Comment

• Vikeid
                        • Feb 2009

Any pictures of the oiled leather version from AW0910?

this one is from archive. though they called it washed-something. im not an expert by any means but this is how i would imagine oiled leather to be anyway. but nevertheless, its hella nice.

aslo here: http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=50I

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Fuuma nailed it. Again.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• c.r.e.a.m.
                            • Jan 2009

agreed. especially,
                            "When it works it reminds me of Carpe leather shirts, sorta make you look tougher in a subtle and masculine way."
                            i've always felt this way, without being able to explain why. just the way ro jackets fit, shoulders and torso, shape the body in a flattering masculine way.
                            i also have found myself in this situation, julius vs ro leather. currently i own the fw07 julius moto and a non leather ro moto. the ro moto was my fist ro peice, and have worn it relentlessly since then. it is my favorite cut, and would love to have the leather version some day. the only reason why i chose julius over ro is because the julius popped up first, with a good price. about sizing, my julius is a 2 and my ro is a m.

Comment

• quiet noise
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

my personal top 5 in leather jackets goes something liket his:

1. Rick blistered two tone
                              2. Julius Moto 07
                              3. Julius Jut neck
                              4. Rick funnel neck (the one chim is selling)
                              5. Julius Red rider jacket

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                                • Mar 2007

The leather pictured here is the SS09 thin lamb leather in black.
                                Has anyone handled this before? How's the leather? Too thin? Worth paying full retail?

Thanks! I don't say enough...but everyone's thoughts are/were much appreciated...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎