Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

^^Agreed. I've owned both of those and the black on and it's treatment is amazing. You'll love it.

Comment

• ulrich133
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
      ^^Agreed. I've owned both of those and the black on and it's treatment is amazing. You'll love it.
      Just to clarify, the black one being the fw 2012 one?
      can i ask what the weight of it is like compared to the leather in the red rider?

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        thanks for the input everyone. i think the jacket looks better on this model:

and i kind of agree with magic that it is the awkwardness of the fit and design that is appealing to me. but with respect to the collar, the awkwardness is treading dangerously close to being plain old ugly and unflattering. the neck is too damn wide.
        upon further review, i'm gonna get this damn jacket. i've decided i love it. i know its not the best leather, its not a ccp leather, but nothing is ccp quality except ccp. but it is horse leather. vegetable tanned. i think its going to be pretty stiff but will break in nicely and mold to my body. i love the hand dyeing, the hand stitching, the color itself, the leather treatment, and the 3D construction and body molding. i think its just a tough, cool looking jacket that will get better with time. as for the collar, a steezy friend has advised me that the collar clips from the J1 jacket work nicely at taming its unruly nature. it will have the same sort of halo appearance at the neck, which i like. i hate anything that fits too closely at my neck actually.

stay tuned for further updates...

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• curiouscharles
          • Jan 2008

i think you're going to be blown away by the leather & treatment - but somewhat confused [at first] by the collar [but only at first].

i personally found it looked best worn up, with the jacket open [it's also not bad at all with the collar plain ol' removed] - but that was on our skinny/tall castrato-boy-model, and i'm sure you'll find your own way to kill it.

i've felt some pretty [embarrassingly] flimsy boris leathers in my day, and this one certainly does not fall into that category.
          —
          -

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

i think you are going to be correct on all points there^^
            i must admit that when i received this jacket i was a little unhappy about the collar:

the jacket itself is incredible but the collar is so unlike anything else i've ever worn that it took me some time to get used to it, even though i thought it looked awesome in the photos. it is very tall and very stiff and pretty heavy once its folded over with the clips attached, so its just floppy and awkward. but it starts to soften up and break in and now im used to it. it looks good unzipped and open like in the top photo, or zipped up as well. i tend to wear it with the collar up in the back and clipped down in front. like this guy:

Comment

• magic
              • Feb 2009

wait.. i dont think they are hand stitching.
              Focusing on object details

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

i dunno. a pretty knowledgeable source advised me that the horse hide J2 is hand stitched and hand dyed (object dyed). i'm not entirely sure how the term "hand stitched" is being applied here though...

he also said that unlike past J2 iterations, the arms are now one continuous piece with no seam. and every seam is chainstitched now as opposed to a couple of standard seams at the elbow and at the shoulder and sides as before. i think thats all pretty cool...
                Last edited by cjbreed; 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• thejjbb
                  • Apr 2008

Get the horse leather jacket! Everything curiouscharles said is pretty much spot on, the fit is unusual but in a way that gives you interesting options for styling, the collar works in a lot of different configurations, and the leather is tied for the best of the leathers that boris uses, in my experience. Not to mention the seam work is really unique and really adds a level of intrigue to the piece. The double zipper is also a nice touch, and again gives you a lot of options.

That being said, it's definitely something you want to try on before buying, so make sure you can try it on in person or order from a place with a good return policy.

Comment

• derpington
                    • Oct 2009

I've got a horse hide J2, and I would absolutely recommend it. The leather is extremely thick and heavy but it does mold to the body very well, and it is definitely the best leather I have handled. The collar can be awkward when worn down, but it works well when worn up or removed entirely. I'm not sure if it is hand stitched, but it is absolutely object dyed.

Comment

• samlasamla
                      • Sep 2011

Can anyone describe how the sizing on the J2 runs? Is size M ~ 48, L ~ 50, etc.? It's hard to tell from chest measurements alone because the shoulders are essentially raglan.

Comment

• derpington
                        • Oct 2009

My M from SS13 is a true 48.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

i am a true 52 and was advised by 3 different sources to get the XL.
                          Last edited by cjbreed; 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Atmosphere
                            • Jan 2010

ok guys, i need your help. yes or no? i like em, but i'm worried they might look a little bit wonky vibramed like that

Comment

• jskidder1
                              • Jan 2011

so remove the vibram.

Comment

• Atmosphere
                                • Jan 2010

yeah, I s'pose I could do that...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀