Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to clothes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerry
    • Feb 2008

Re: Do you feel that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to clothes??

I actually disagree. The only reason I'm able to find such ridiculously good deals on brand new clothing (Ann D pants 90% off, anyone?) is because unlike the majority of women, I don't dress to make myself attractive. I don't really go to H&M, Forever21, or similar brands of disposable because the times when I do, I'm generally displeased with the fit and quality of the fabric. I recently went to Zara and while I wasn't particularly impressed with the technical qualities of the clothing, the fabric was decent; I wandered into the men's section, tried on a shirt and admittedly, while the fabric was on par with that of the women's, it seemed to be more well made.

Perhaps Zara isn't a good example of the kind of clothing we're looking at because the majority of their stock is very safe. My point is, while I do think that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to buying clothes for better prices, I don't think that has anything to do with the lack of quality in the clothing of high street and mass market men's clothing. I think it is because the volume of women's fashion in comparison to the demand for it is much greater than that of menswear.

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

[quote user="mesh"]

Relax you two you know I was kidding! ha

She has a couple of nice bags and shoes from dior, celine and soon louboutin (played out yes I know) thanks to me.

[/quote]

me too[75]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="gerry"]

I actually disagree. The only reason I'm able to find such ridiculously good deals on brand new clothing (Ann D pants 90% off, anyone?) is because unlike the majority of women, I don't dress to make myself attractive. I don't really go to H&M, Forever21, or similar brands of disposable because the times when I do, I'm generally displeased with the fit and quality of the fabric. I recently went to Zara and while I wasn't particularly impressed with the technical qualities of the clothing, the fabric was decent; I wandered into the men's section, tried on a shirt and admittedly, while the fabric was on par with that of the women's, it seemed to be more well made.

Perhaps Zara isn't a good example of the kind of clothing we're looking at because the majority of their stock is very safe. My point is, while I do think that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to buying clothes for better prices, I don't think that has anything to do with the lack of quality in the clothing of high street and mass market men's clothing. I think it is because the volume of women's fashion in comparison to the demand for it is much greater than that of menswear.

[/quote]

Interesting! What would you say about the mid-priced market that's mostly driven by small designers and boutiques like in NoLiTa and West Village? That's where I think the real difference is - men don't have that, especially in the US.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gerry
          • Feb 2008

I can't say I'm familiar with NoLiTa or the West Village because I'm currently based in L.A., but I do feel that more boutiques are beginning to stock menswear that has a decent price to quality ratio over here. The owners that I've talked to say that for the most part, their normal stock hasn't been selling since the "avant-garde explosion at Barney's" so they've been looking to expand by carrying menswear by and in addition to more local and lesser known Japanese and Italian labels. I suppose beautiful, mid-priced menswear is hard to find because thus far there hasn't been a real market for it... but things are looking up.

Comment

• mesh
            • Dec 2006

Oh you two, faust and kira that is.

But seriously I don't let her out the house because she's so beautiful.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="mesh"]

[/quote]

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="gerry"]

I can't say I'm familiar with NoLiTa or the West Village because I'm currently based in L.A., but I do feel that more boutiques are beginning to stock menswear that has a decent price to quality ratio over here. The owners that I've talked to say that for the most part, their normal stock hasn't been selling since the "avant-garde explosion at Barney's" so they've been looking to expand by carrying menswear by and in addition to more local and lesser known Japanese and Italian labels. I suppose beautiful, mid-priced menswear is hard to find because thus far there hasn't been a real market for it... but things are looking up.

[/quote]

Hahahaha!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesh
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="mesh"]

[/quote]

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

She would kill me if I ever posted pictures of her adorable self.

You could have met her when we were in new york! Of course it got hectic the last couple days before our flight so I couldn't pm peeps.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                    • Aug 2007

[quote user="gerry"]

I actually disagree. The only reason I'm able to find such ridiculously good deals on brand new clothing (Ann D pants 90% off, anyone?) is because unlike the majority of women, I don't dress to make myself attractive.

[/quote]

yeah we got the sufu market and the classifieds and Les' 99 cent ebay auctions too, ladies. SO EAT IT!

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="mesh"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="mesh"]

[/quote]

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

She would kill me if I ever posted pictures of her adorable self.

You could have met her when we were in new york! Of course it got hectic the last couple days before our flight so I couldn't pm peeps.

[/quote]

bla, bla, bla - no excuses next time!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="mesh"]

[/quote]

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

beauty needs to be seen and appreciated. pictures[75]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• desultory
                          • Aug 2007

There is no difference in the quality of make or fabric or availability. The difference is in two completely different animals doing the shopping.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Disagree. One look at the womens and mens in chains like Gap, Banana Republic, and JCrew tells otherwise.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• denimfan
                              • Feb 2008

Not really plus women get charged twice of what guys pay at the dry cleaner.

Comment

• Helgen
                                • Mar 2008

Besides the other facts stated, women also have way more locations to shop, there's pretty much a women's clothing store/boutique on every block in the city (NYC,) meanwhile I have to take a hefty walk, train or bus to get what I need; and I do mean something decent.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎