Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Real Real
    • Feb 2007

Re: Recession Support Group (no enablers allowed!)

I like Thom Browne this season. I'm surprised at how well the runway show seems to have translated to the clothing on racks - and the clothing that's there seems for the most part, very wearable (moreso than the past couple of seasons). The quality is still incredible. Also, it doesn't seem like Thom Browne has increased his prices much over the past couple of years (unlike most other brands), so his clothing seems slightly less expensive to me than it did in the past.

I've only bought one TB item (just a basic white oxford), but I wore the hell out of that shirt (until one of the elbows ripped)...it's still maybe the best-fitting RTW shirt I've ever bought.

Also, I prefer a trim jacket with looser pants, so I like that jacket/trouser combination. I can't fuck with pants tailored that high, but if you didn't take them up that far, it'd look good.

This post belongs in the enabler thread...I might be talking myself into buying some TB.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

yes, good, you have controlled your fear...
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Funny how first impressions are made. We had a lot of fun at his boutique, and we were just a bunch of goth ninjas with no money. I think it was Fuuma's mad sartorial skillz that saved us (and my scathing remarks about Jeffrey's).

Anyway.

1) Anyone who buys from BG is a looser. Seriously, do you really want to support the Upper East Side chapter of NAMBLA? Since BG is out and TB boutique is out, that kinda narrows down your options, doesn't?

2) This is a fad and will go out of style quick. Do you want to spend $4k on a fad? No. Once the collective hypnosis that TB is good at wears off, how will you feel? Duped. Swindled. You will lose all respect for your mental abilities. You will feel like a domesticated animal that's always led by its leash.

3) Think about your other passion, whatever it is, and how far $4k will go there.

PM Sent.

[/quote]

Allow me to address the points you've raised.

1) While I prefer to buy from small boutiques it is by no way necessary to do to to access some tastefully designed labels and pieces, Barneys stand as a shining example of what a department store can attain. It appears ISuck (hahaha) patronize places where he appreciate the salespeople, this sounds like a good strategy to me and I don't see why he could be faulted for that. I thought the people at the TB store were knowledgeable, helpful and had a lot of enthusiasm for the product and fashion in general (that guy could easily move from discussing my carpe leather shirt to handmade buttonholes on the TB suits) but my personal experiences are not the be all, end all of shopping.

2) I appreciate a 60s approach to suits and it fits my body and personal style quite well. If I don't go overboard with the short sleeves and pants you must admit the TB suits I tried on had a nice fit and allure on me. It can be the same for many client. Fads quickly move around in fashion, the brooding look favoured around here was the flavor of the month just a few seasons ago and this hasn't stopped people from being taken with it before, during and after it flashed into the collective fashion consciousness. Coming back to my own opinion of TB, I must say the limiting factor would be that it might end up being too structured for my tastes, although it went very well with some fabrics, and that I definitely don't want my look to be evocative of Americana, especially when it comes to suiting.

3) I believe that in this specific case IS can have his cake and eat it too. This has its upsides and downsides IMHO but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• uparmoured
          • Sep 2007

M.A+ Signature Cross T-Shirt in:

- LS Black

- SS White

Please help!

FS: M.A+
          FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="uparmoured"]

M.A+ Signature Cross T-Shirt in:

- LS Black

- SS White

Please help!

[/quote]

While I love these shirts, I can't help but think they are the most basic cotton shirt with 4 cuts in the front and a tiny little cross sewn in for good, 'designer' measure. If you'd like, I can make you a shirt, sew in the cross, and steal the money out of your broken in MA+ folded wallet for good measure.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

for me this would be like asking if i wanted the stormtrooper or luke in hoth gear figure as a kid.

in other words, this is the crack rock.

these shirts somehow tap into the best moments of my childhood. honestly. buy these. i have two from last season and plan to get the white l/s.

sorry to enable, but i can't lie about my [64]

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• uparmoured
                • Sep 2007

RSG... why have you forsaken meee!?

FS: M.A+
                FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• matthewhk
                  • Jan 2007

can someone post a pic of this shirt? I wanna see what the big fuss is all about...

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="xadam"][quote user="Casius"]

CCP elastic wiast button down shirt. Check.

[/quote]

I can help with this one. It looks and fits like a members only jacket. Avoid. And/or buy a members only jacket.

[/quote]

2nd. don't like it at all. very awkward.

[/quote]

yep, i tried this piece on and the fit is so awkward. Get a shirt or a windbreaker, but not this.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"]

Funny how first impressions are made. We had a lot of fun at his boutique, and we were just a bunch of goth ninjas with no money. I think it was Fuuma's mad sartorial skillz that saved us (and my scathing remarks about Jeffrey's).

Anyway.

1) Anyone who buys from BG is a looser. Seriously, do you really want to support the Upper East Side chapter of NAMBLA? Since BG is out and TB boutique is out, that kinda narrows down your options, doesn't?

2) This is a fad and will go out of style quick. Do you want to spend $4k on a fad? No. Once the collective hypnosis that TB is good at wears off, how will you feel? Duped. Swindled. You will lose all respect for your mental abilities. You will feel like a domesticated animal that's always led by its leash.

3) Think about your other passion, whatever it is, and how far $4k will go there.

PM Sent.

[/quote]

Allow me to address the points you've raised.

1) While I prefer to buy from small boutiques it is by no way necessary to do to to access some tastefully designed labels and pieces, Barneys stand as a shining example of what a department store can attain. It appears ISuck (hahaha) patronize places where he appreciate the salespeople, this sounds like a good strategy to me and I don't see why he could be faulted for that. I thought the people at the TB store were knowledgeable, helpful and had a lot of enthusiasm for the product and fashion in general (that guy could easily move from discussing my carpe leather shirt to handmade buttonholes on the TB suits) but my personal experiences are not the be all, end all of shopping.

2) I appreciate a 60s approach to suits and it fits my body and personal style quite well. If I don't go overboard with the short sleeves and pants you must admit the TB suits I tried on had a nice fit and allure on me. It can be the same for many client. Fads quickly move around in fashion, the brooding look favoured around here was the flavor of the month just a few seasons ago and this hasn't stopped people from being taken with it before, during and after it flashed into the collective fashion consciousness. Coming back to my own opinion of TB, I must say the limiting factor would be that it might end up being too structured for my tastes, although it went very well with some fabrics, and that I definitely don't want my look to be evocative of Americana, especially when it comes to suiting.

3) I believe that in this specific case IS can have his cake and eat it too. This has its upsides and downsides IMHO but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

[/quote]

Allow me to retort;

Disclaimer: my tirade was aimed at xadam :-) As you remember, iSuck is exempt from en-/disabling due to lack of financial constraints.

1. I was talking about Bergdorf Goodman. I love Barneys, but the clientele is absolutely different from BG, and so are the stores.

2. He was going for the wholesale look, I believe. Indeed, the suits you've tried on looked classic on you, but that's absolutely not the look xadam posted for reference.

3. Don't know how to address that. I was just thinking about myself, actually - $4k could get me a dream speaker system or a third bookcase, which I sorely need. I don't know what else xadam into, besides clothes.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

for me this would be like asking if i wanted the stormtrooper or luke in hoth gear figure as a kid.

in other words, this is the crack rock.

these shirts somehow tap into the best moments of my childhood. honestly. buy these. i have two from last season and plan to get the white l/s.

sorry to enable, but i can't lie about my [64]

[/quote]

wow, you fail at RSG. What's up with that?!

Uparmoured, I second Casius's comments. I've always felt that people who buy the most basic things from certain designers, are really just buying into the brand. Kinda like those people who want to be seen with a Marc Jacobs shopping bag, so they buy a pair of flip-flops. If at least there was some interesting details or amazing fabric that would make it very different, I could understand, but it's just light jersey. I would honestly take that money and buy the glued CCP turtleneck from this season, that thing is amazing...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

hmm faust that comment about buying basics for buying into the brand, i would agree for certain brands, and not so much for others. Someone buying a CdG "Play" tee or maybe an Undercover, Number (N)ine plain or printed t-shirt I would agree with since the quality of the item is disproportionate to other items in the line. But with the likes of CCP and Yohji who still do basic items, I think maybe it is out of a genuine appreciation of the designer's craftsmanship. At least speaking from experience, Yohji does a DAMN good white t-shirt, for a few thousand yen more than a Gap I don't see why one who loves Yohji's work and wants to look consistent with his proposed look can't buy it for the sake of the quality.

Something like a basic white cotton Avantindietro button down shirt that goes for over 100,000 yen is a bit ridiculous to me though, and I feel would fit into the former category of above paragraph rather than the latter.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

^^ i agree. however, faust, might be writing that to dissuade uparmoured though.
                            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

yea, Matt - it's RSG, hello!!! [86]. If I was a baller, I would buy plain CCP dress shirts and Jil Sander tees (s(he) does a perfect tee), but this is Recession Group Support. If you want to pay, pay for something unique or a signature piece.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

Yea, this is RSG!

Also, those MA+ shirts tend to make it to sale as well (there's 2 on sale right now on select shop core!). I like them but I just don't see the appeal...especially for close to 5 bills...because when it comes down to it, it's still a t-shirt, with a cross...

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎