X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
    Liberty, there is an entire thread dedicated to that very topic where you can find opinions and other insight.

It is located here.
    i noticed the consensus in that thread is not to treat reversed (or sueded) leather with anything. but is that wise? i have a pair of reverse horse guidi's that are starting to show a bit of wear and even some change in color where my (seemingly 100% overdyed) pants rest on the shaft. what should be done? what is recommended to clean/treat this type of leather?
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

Yeah, I honestly don't see why you wouldn't vibram them. If you didn't they'd have a definite lifespan. I feel like a thin vibram sole won't detract from its aesthetic beauty at all. Just be sure you goto a trusted cobbler that won't shave an inch off of your heel. Also they are your boots so please be fickle about the job done to protect your investment. I have layer-0 black laceups that I had vibrammed and he put a brown heel on a black boot and I had him redo it. Make sure you see the sole they will be using and you are okay with it. After all is said and done wear them to death. Good luck!

Comment

• liberty_of_style
        • Aug 2011

Thank you Mess! I went to the best cobbler in our city and it was very funny when they saw my Guidis. They sad "Is this a new shoes?", "Ou, it must be polished!" OMG!!! I screamed "NO POLISHED!!!" And like you, i asked them do not do to the edge of the sole.
        So, tommorow i will get it back. And i will tell you the result.
        I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things...

Comment

• liberty_of_style
          • Aug 2011

Thank you for advice teacher! As you see this is my firt steps at this resource. Have a nice day!

Comment

• messenoire
            • Nov 2009

Its quite okay! Make sure you tell them not to polish or "brush them up" or whatever it is when they make them look like an old mans church shoes! SZ has been a valuable resource to everyone that posts here. I do hope you enjoy your stay!

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              i noticed the consensus in that thread is not to treat reversed (or sueded) leather with anything. but is that wise? i have a pair of reverse horse guidi's that are starting to show a bit of wear and even some change in color where my (seemingly 100% overdyed) pants rest on the shaft. what should be done? what is recommended to clean/treat this type of leather?

cj - i'm very careful - hardly ever clean reverse leather. first, try using some sort of suede rubber (can be bought in stores or at cobblers), to mechanically remove discoloring/dirt. if that don't work there are suede-cleaning foams that you can brush on and then pat dry. but be careful!

now my own question:

i'm doing some dyeing of various small leather goods i have (bottega veneta etc.), from brown to black. i've got the actual dyeing process down real well, and like the results. however, now i'm doing a wallet and a passport case and like many higher-end leather goods, they have a type of resin/wax/whatever on the sides of the leather. the acetone i use for cleaning the leather and the benzene base of the dye both melt this resin/wax so i need to replace it after i've finished the dye job.

can anyone please tell me more about this stuff? my local cobbler said it was a wax, but it seems more durable than that...? he said he might be able to try putting it back on if i come back to him when i finished the actual dyeing, but i kinda wanna do it myself!

please advise!

Last edited by Shucks; 03-20-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                • Aug 2011

Here are my Guidis after get vibramed. Your comments?

Comment

• oncebornyoucanthide
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

rubber used for the heel looks softer than the one for the sole...right?

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                    • Aug 2011

The cobbler didn't have that kind of leather for soles.
                    No, its soft too.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

looks fine to me
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• gavagai
                        • May 2010

I personally never like to go so thick on the heel. I usually go very thin and then do taps. That being said they look fine.

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                          I personally never like to go so thick on the heel. I usually go very thin and then do taps. That being said they look fine.
                          Agree, but here is no wide choice of vibram soles in my city unfortunately. I prefer thin soles too. And it was the lesser of evils
                          And to tell the truth i satisfied.

Comment

• voice_on_tape
                            • Jun 2011

so, i'm going to a party friday that is themed as 1960's Paris, looking for any recommendations on what would be appropriate to wear to this. thanks
                            -v_o_t
                            sale items

Comment

• liberty_of_style
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by voice_on_tape View Post
                              so, i'm going to a party friday that is themed as 1960's Paris, looking for any recommendations on what would be appropriate to wear to this. thanks

Try The Dreamers by Bertolucci for inspiration.

Comment

• Laconic
                                • Apr 2009

I know this wasn't a particularly notable piece, so I'm not sure anyone will remember. I'm considering buying a Plokhov crossover shirt (the button-down with the extra panel and belt) from his first eponymous collection. I have to buy it online--which I'm reluctant to do. If anyone could give me their thoughts on it (I know it fits almost a full size small) it would really help me out.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎