X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arby2001
    • Jan 2011

just a couple of quick quirky questions

who was the first designer to make/popularise curved-seam tees, to the best of your knowledge?

is there any practical reason why rick shoes have staples in the back when others don't?

ty
    too skinny for rick

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
      • Oct 2009

Didnt know where to ask and dont wanna start a new thread.

Does anybody have shopping recommendations for Bangkok?

Thanks
      "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT View Post
        Didnt know where to ask and dont wanna start a new thread.

Does anybody have shopping recommendations for Bangkok?

Thanks
        Isetan I guess and across the street there's Club 21 that has some interesting stuff.

edit: oh and I liked Greyhound as well, personally
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post
          just a couple of quick quirky questions

who was the first designer to make/popularise curved-seam tees, to the best of your knowledge?

is there any practical reason why rick shoes have staples in the back when others don't?

ty

second one I cannot address, nor can I say specifically which designer first made curved seams, but something to ponder..........

A lot of times interesting design comes from unintentional errors in the construction. garment process..........eg. LUC's broken needle and wrong tension seams.

Overlock stitching has been around forever as a way of finishing garment seams, but Carol made them into an art form.

I could easily see curves seam tees coming from the twisting of seams on regularly made tees after they are washed, his could have possibly inspired the idea..........as to who is first I cannot say
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Rick's sneakers no longer have the staples in the back. I'm guessing the initial decision to place them there was for visual interest, but practical reasons (falling out, etc.) probably changed that decision. Just speculating though.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by other_animals View Post
              ^split my time between LA and Hawaii growing up, IDGAF about weather at this point. I'm just gonna wear whatever i feel like, weather be damned. (but srsly, layers are key)
              He'e Nalu brah...

Layers are the way for sure. Learned my lesson the hard way after spending the day up in North Malibu in shorts and a tank and having the temp drop almost 20 degrees come sundown...
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                second one I cannot address, nor can I say specifically which designer first made curved seams, but something to ponder..........

A lot of times interesting design comes from unintentional errors in the construction. garment process..........eg. LUC's broken needle and wrong tension seams.

Overlock stitching has been around forever as a way of finishing garment seams, but Carol made them into an art form.

I could easily see curves seam tees coming from the twisting of seams on regularly made tees after they are washed, his could have possibly inspired the idea..........as to who is first I cannot say
                The earliest example of curved seams (on jersey fabric) that I know of is HL SS03. I'm pretty sure Ann did them at that point or shortly after.
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Atom
                  • Sep 2009

Levi's did curved seam jeans in the late 90's under their Engineered collection, inspired by vintage jeans. I don't remember but I suppose there could have been some curved shirts as well back then.

Comment

• other_animals
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                    He'e Nalu brah...

Layers are the way for sure. Learned my lesson the hard way after spending the day up in North Malibu in shorts and a tank and having the temp drop almost 20 degrees come sundown...
                    Yeah, I've been there too many times, and I would much rather be too hot, than too cold. And if wearing fur to the ocean is good enough for Nalu, then its good enough for me, though much prefer black. obviously.

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post
                      not Ts, but afaik Madeleine Vionnet pioneered it as a result of her bias-cutting techniques; the seams are actually straight along the gainline and it's the fabric that was curved.

i'm kind of sick of seeing seams curved alongside straight grain cutting.

Comment

• messenoire
                        • Nov 2009

a friend of mine is opening up a new space and really likes the luxurious stark white parisian atelier look for the interiors. i know givenchy and even acne have shot on locations like this so would anyone be able to provide me with a resource of that type of interior design? i looked up the personal estate of hubert de givenchy and couldnt find too much. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

• spacetaekwon
                          • Jan 2011

Have a couple questions about bbs jackets...

-What's the difference between the J1-F242 and J1-F211? (different leathers/treatments?)
                          -Would the wrinkles in the F242 smooth out with wear?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Castor
                            • Nov 2009

Got a good price on the Rick Scuba in the smooth lambskin for A/W '12 (RU9766/LMO), the same leather used in the MA-1 bomber. However, it is crazy tight. Does anyone think it will stretch like half a size so it won't look like a sausage casing?
                            Originally posted by DRRRK
                            The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• fncyths
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                              a friend of mine is opening up a new space and really likes the luxurious stark white parisian atelier look for the interiors. i know givenchy and even acne have shot on locations like this so would anyone be able to provide me with a resource of that type of interior design? i looked up the personal estate of hubert de givenchy and couldnt find too much. any help would be greatly appreciated!
                              It's a mix of stark modernism, with decadent deco.

I could rattle off references but then that would take the fun out of it....

If said friend is looking to "hire" someone to rattle off references, then well we might have ourselves a win-win situation here

Originally posted by Shucks
                              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                              Originally posted by interest1
                              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                                Got a good price on the Rick Scuba in the smooth lambskin for A/W '12 (RU9766/LMO), the same leather used in the MA-1 bomber. However, it is crazy tight. Does anyone think it will stretch like half a size so it won't look like a sausage casing?
                                yes. esp. sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎