Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

fwiw, the few items i have in 'pony'skin (not rick stuff...) have held up real well - no hairs falling out or anything. but i would expect sneaks will scuff up a lot more and your shoes will end up looking like a mangy old horse after a while - i.e. awesome.

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TentacleMonster View Post
      May have found the answer to my own question:
      http://www.ioffer.com/i/rick-owens-s...5-46-535567392
      is this legit folks?

Comment

• MosesHerzog
        • Feb 2013

A1923 short jacket

I'm interested in buying an A1923 short jacket

can anyone help me understanding the difference between this model and this other one?

Thanks

Comment

• originalhead
          • Apr 2013

What s the difference between cordowan and shell cordovan?

Comment

• k3mist
            • Apr 2013

^ they are the same thing.

the cordovan comes from a part of a muscle on the horse or otherwise known as shell.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
              ^ they are the same thing.

the cordovan comes from a part of a muscle on the horse or otherwise known as shell.
              The term cordovan is thrown around very loosely especially in the realm of the leather-heavy brands we discuss on here. Just like "overlock" "cold dye" "object dye" etc. and is used as a marketing tool to open your wallets.

Shell cordovan is the specific layer on a horse butt and each animal has two shell cordovan "plates" that can be separated out and turned into true shell cordovan.

It has a distinct texture (no visible grain) and feel (smooth) and is very dense so the folds it generates when used for footwear is rounded and smooth.

Each shell cordovan plate by nature of what it is, cannot be more than about 2 ft x 1.5 ft and that is on the large side for these plates.

I see things called "cordovan leather jackets" etc. from various designers and boots with an obvious surface grain and even a sueded backside that are "cordovan" but these are different than shell cordovan. AFAIK only two tanneries in the world create true shell cordovan, while cordovan itself can be applied to hides tanned in that style but do not actually use shell. One of the tanneries is Horween in Chicago and the process of creating each plate of shell cordovan takes at least 6 months.

If it has a visible grain or a sueded surface, it is NOT shell cordovan. If it's a jacket or bag, it is NOT shell cordovan.

Shell cordovan is exponentially more expensive than even the most expensive horse/cow/goat/sheep/ostrich hide and sq ft to sq ft is more expensive than elephant leather.
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• originalhead
                • Apr 2013

Thank u guys. So the cordovan is just the horse leather with different names, isn't it?

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                The term cordovan is thrown around very

loosely especially in the realm of the leather-heavy brands we discuss on here. Just like "overlock" "cold dye" "object dye" etc. and is used as a marketing tool to open your wallets.

Shell cordovan is the specific layer on a horse butt and each animal has two shell cordovan "plates" that can be separated out and turned into true shell cordovan.

It has a distinct texture (no visible grain) and feel (smooth) and is very dense so the folds it generates when used for footwear is rounded and smooth.

Each shell cordovan plate by nature of what it is, cannot be more than about 2 ft x 1.5 ft and that is on the large side for these plates.

I see things called "cordovan leather jackets" etc. from various designers and boots with an obvious surface grain and even a sueded backside that are "cordovan" but these are different than shell cordovan. AFAIK only two tanneries in the world create true shell cordovan, while cordovan itself can be applied to hides tanned in that style but do not actually use shell. One of the tanneries is Horween in Chicago and the process of creating each plate of shell cordovan takes at least 6 months.

If it has a visible grain or a sueded surface, it is NOT shell cordovan. If it's a jacket or bag, it is NOT shell cordovan.

Shell cordovan is exponentially more expensive than even the most expensive horse/cow/goat/sheep/ostrich hide and sq ft to sq ft is more expensive than elephant leather.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by originalhead View Post
                  So the cordovan is just the horse leather with different names, isn't it?

did you read anything he wrote?
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• xeraphim
                      • Nov 2008

has anyone handled this devoa coat by any chance? curious about fabric weight and sizing.

Comment

• drizzly
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by originalhead View Post
                        Thank u guys. So the cordovan is just the horse leather with different names, isn't it?
                        No horse is horse leather, shell cordovan is the fibrous muscle from the horses butt. Chinorlz explained it very well. here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan

Chinorlz was saying that "cordovan" the name gets thrown around loosely for things that are not cordovan in reality. For example, there were some guidi a season or 2 ago that were labeled as reverse cordovan. But, guidi (the tannery) does not produce cordovan and after a lot of questions and debate on a forum everyone concluded the boots were horse. Now can that horse leather include the area from the horse's butt? the answer is yes but it wont be shell cordovan because of the treatment and the rest of the leather included that is not from the butt.

If Alden claims their shoes are shell cordovan there is usually no question about it because they are known for cordovan and you will pay a price premium.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• drizzly
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2012

reminds me of GNR's song civil war, it starts with that quote

Comment

• originalhead
                            • Apr 2013

I see, I will regard the cordovan as the horse leather except for the shell one. The name is a trap for the newbie. But anyway, thank u for your explaination.

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
                            No horse is horse leather, shell cordovan is the fibrous muscle from the horses butt. Chinorlz explained it very well. here is more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan

Chinorlz was saying that "cordovan" the name gets thrown around loosely for things that are not cordovan in reality. For example, there were some guidi a season or 2 ago that were labeled as reverse cordovan. But, guidi (the tannery) does not produce cordovan and after a lot of questions and debate on a forum everyone concluded the boots were horse. Now can that horse leather include the area from the horse's butt? the answer is yes but it wont be shell cordovan because of the treatment and the rest of the leather included that is not from the butt.

If Alden claims their shoes are shell cordovan there is usually no question about it because they are known for cordovan and you will pay a price premium.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• teddybonkers
                              • Jan 2013

i just bought the aw13 all white ann d sneakers and they don't come with white laces. Does anyone know if the rick owens laces are the same, or even better where i can buy similar ones.

Comment

• ibringdoom98
                                • May 2013

Try http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/cottonlaces.asp. Not sure what the length of the laces are on the ann d sneakers, but you can order lengths up to 72".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎