Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaythejet
    • May 2011

I've been keeping my eye on BBS leathers for a while and they've been getting better every season. The tailoring and overall quality (treatment and leather itself) has gone a long way since the very first collection. But it seems like their prices have been progressing as rapidly as well, as I've seen some jackets retail near the 5k/6k mark. So what I'm getting at is has their leather quality increased to such an extent that they are on par with other leather jacket designers in their price bracket (CCP, M.A+)?

Comment

• diorowen
      • Aug 2010

^
      yes, in my personal opinion. I own the current season leather, and I can say that the quality is not any worse than CCP. if we compare the same leather of course.
      but its all depends on how do you define quality.
      still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• jaythejet
        • May 2011

I guess I meant in terms of how substantial it is and the treatment that goes into the leather. Looking at jackets like this make me feel like it's entered the top tier in terms of quality

Comment

• diorowen
          • Aug 2010

I cant really tell about substantiality, but since some season ago BBS leather also come with overlock stitch, moreover the pattern use for the leather jacket construction is also special, I'm not sure what does it called, semi raglan?, which I think play part in substantiality in overall. BBS treatment is indeed top tier. I read how he does the waxed pressed treatment, acid treatment, etc. Really interesting for me. Although I dont really like all the result, but I really appreciate his vision.

On another note,

Can anyone tell me what type of guidi is this, and the color code?
          Really love the color :) but not my size :(
          I've seen 4 holes as derbies, but never seen 4 holes as ankle boots before. Also if anyone know where to get this in size 43-44 let me know. Thx

Comment

• naturalalmonds
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by diorowen View Post
            I cant really tell about substantiality, but since some season ago BBS leather also come with overlock stitch, moreover the pattern use for the leather jacket construction is also special, I'm not sure what does it called, semi raglan?, which I think play part in substantiality in overall. BBS treatment is indeed top tier. I read how he does the waxed pressed treatment, acid treatment, etc. Really interesting for me. Although I dont really like all the result, but I really appreciate his vision.

On another note,

Can anyone tell me what type of guidi is this, and the color code?
            Really love the color :) but not my size :(
            I've seen 4 holes as derbies, but never seen 4 holes as ankle boots before. Also if anyone know where to get this in size 43-44 let me know. Thx
            Really tough to track down any info on those, but I did find this blog page: http://www.syuhari.com/news0810a/0810a.html though most of the text is an image, it was reposted here: http://lancah.exblog.jp/9520189/

Running that through a translator didn't yield any info, except the term "TUSCANY PROJECT", or something like that. The page also refers to them as "GUIDI ( ITALY ) WASHED COWHIDE TOSCANA BOOTS"
            I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• diorowen
              • Aug 2010

^
              thanks almond.
              I guess the term Tuscany is the Guidi itself is made in Tuscany.
              but looking at the date of the post its quite old already, 08-09.
              and as seller said, its totally sold out.
              maybe its time to move on ~_~

Comment

• upsilonkng
                • May 2010

Originally posted by jaythejet View Post
                I guess I meant in terms of how substantial it is and the treatment that goes into the leather. Looking at jackets like this make me feel like it's entered the top tier in terms of quality
                http://shop.hlorenzo.com/products/me.../j2_f-236_army
                I think it's certainly priced like top tier stuff, never had a bbs leather but some of his most interesting ideas yield the worst results, like the example u gave. not sure what he did to it but it definitely is not something I would ever consider buying. I would like a bbs leather one day but black and rad is good enough, don't want acid or translucent or whatever the hell this one is.

Comment

• jaythejet
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                  I think it's certainly priced like top tier stuff, never had a bbs leather but some of his most interesting ideas yield the worst results, like the example u gave. not sure what he did to it but it definitely is not something I would ever consider buying. I would like a bbs leather one day but black and rad is good enough, don't want acid or translucent or whatever the hell this one is.
                  I agree with you. The top priced pieces from BBS are the more outrageous pieces in terms of treatment and your mentioning of the translucent leather was the perfect example. That piece retailed for around 7k and hlorenzo was the only one to include it in their buy from what I can discern. Like the translucent piece, the jacket in the link was only bought in one size by hlorenzo. So it shows that although BBS may put forth the leathers to garner such a high price, not everyone is clamoring for it. What I'm more interested is if the quality of the leather itself (thickness, feel) would be similar to CCP, M.A+, etc.

Comment

• palgrave
                    • Jul 2013

I am thinking of buying this white top to a girl, what do you think?
                    I don't want it to be too conspicuous, so I thought this would be a nice top.

I appreciate other suggestions on some nice tops.

Last edited by palgrave; 10-11-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
                      looking around for long shirts, any suggestions? already had a look at current season ann/comme/yohji.
                      I wear *a lot* of dress shirts, and I like going the Saint Laurent, Celine, Margiela route in addition to what you've already looked at which, whose designs tend to be more idiosyncratic and seasonal. For inexpensive shirts, maybe Golden Goose (tux, which is what I typically wear.)

MBD
                      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Bson View Post
                        Just as I suspected! All that I have tried so far I would've needed to get altered– not that it's stopping me, though it would be nice to have some that have their own inherent cut.

Although I see you can get that from Julius-- thank you for the recommendation! A quick search and I've found a few amazing pairs. Maybe I'll wait until sales though.. (this boy would've had to save up for 4k+)

And yes you girls are overflowing with options for leather leggings/pants/cropped/et al.... I'm a bit jelly
                        M.A+ makes fitted leather pants whose quality I can speak for. I had a pair in size 42 that I sold to somewhere here (can't remember the name) when I found a pair in 40 that fit better. I have a lot of fitted leather pants and leggings so I was going for a less tight yet fitted look with these. Still, I always prefer sizing one down if I want a pair of really fitted leather pants. (You shouldn't be too jealous -- so much of what is available for women, particularly leggings are overpriced crap.)

I just noticed that I didn't post the M.A+ leathers in the garment archive, so I did. But here are some fit pics of them on me and on a smaller fellow (can't remember if I'm wearing the 40 or the 42 -- I would prefer 36 or 38 here, but they're fine and so comfortable...)

Mine aren't for sale, but perhaps the person to whom I sold my other pair will out themselves if his are...

Good luck,

MBD
                        "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                        It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                        My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• stemcell
                          • Jul 2011

I'm looking for some Ann Demeulemeester Mens retailers that have online stores and ship internationally. I know about most of the big ones in US and Uk. I am looking for ones I may have missed, especially in asia, and europe... smaller stores such as:

Darklands, Why-Lip, Railso, Shopnumber4, etc.

Sorry if this info is, or should have been posted elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Comment

• Bson
                            • May 2013

MBD, thank you for such a sweet, thoughtful reply! Those are definitely an incredible fit, even the more 'relaxed' on you, still. The sizing on your friend (I'm assuming friend LOL!) is just what I'm going for. I definitely know what I'm on the hunt for, now... Have a great weekend!

Comment

• Bson
                              • May 2013

Originally posted by stemcell View Post
                              I'm looking for some Ann Demeulemeester Mens retailers that have online stores and ship internationally. I know about most of the big ones in US and Uk. I am looking for ones I may have missed, especially in asia, and europe... smaller stores such as:

Darklands, Why-Lip, Railso, Shopnumber4, etc.

Sorry if this info is, or should have been posted elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any tips!
                              If you are looking for a particular runway item, I would call one of the flagships directly. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would need to look up every store in the world that carries Ann! I've had great experience with the SAs in Antwerp. Amazing people

Comment

• stemcell
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bson View Post
                                If you are looking for a particular runway item, I would call one of the flagships directly. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would need to look up every store in the world that carries Ann! I've had great experience with the SAs in Antwerp. Amazing people
                                The only reason is because of my OCD However, that's a really good idea also, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎