X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Law
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by HWith View Post
    Are there any good online fabric stores based in Europe - something similar to moodfabrics.com? Most stores I have been able to find on google are crap, and moodfabrics has crazy overseas shipping prices.
    www.joelandsonsfabrics.com and www.topfabric.co.uk off the top of my head. Depends on what you're looking for.

Comment

• bukka
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Law View Post
      http://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/ and www.topfabric.co.uk off the top of my head. Depends on what you're looking for.
      fixed the first link. thanks for the info.
      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Law
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by bukka View Post
        fixed the first link. thanks for the info.
        Whoops, thanks.

Also another good one (albeit expensive) is www.bandjfabrics.com
        they're also in the US, in NY. Not sure how expensive their international shipping is though.

Comment

• eleven crows
          • Mar 2011

Carpe/Altieri sizing for jackets: does a 2 or 3 correspond to a small/46? It seems like it varies from piece to piece, with more leaning towards the 3.

Comment

• fromcolortoblack
            • Feb 2015

When is a boot or sneaker tuck appropriate with respect to making an outfit work (for example, what types of outfits, silhouettes, or styles look well/better with a tuck)?

Comment

• ian+
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by fromcolortoblack View Post
              When is a boot or sneaker tuck appropriate with respect to making an outfit work (for example, what types of outfits, silhouettes, or styles look well/better with a tuck)?
              there is no golden rule, it all depends on the pants, the boots and what you are after.
              ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fromcolortoblack View Post
                ALL OF EM

Except a suit.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

For the European members on here, I'm trying to understand the customs/VAT/import fees that may be levied by France when you ship something from Switzerland (as they are not in the EU).

Are there any shipping companies that would allow for my friend to pay all import fees/customs fees that France would levy so that everything is paid up front upon dropoff at the company (FedEx/DHL or otherwise?) so that the package would just be delivered with nothing for the recipient to do?
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Tiranis
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                    For the European members on here, I'm trying to understand the customs/VAT/import fees that may be levied by France when you ship something from Switzerland (as they are not in the EU).

Are there any shipping companies that would allow for my friend to pay all import fees/customs fees that France would levy so that everything is paid up front upon dropoff at the company (FedEx/DHL or otherwise?) so that the package would just be delivered with nothing for the recipient to do?
                    I don't have any experience in Europe but I assume it's the same as in the rest of the world: DHL, FedEx and UPS all offer the option to bill customs fees to the sender's account. You don't pay them upfront though, you're usually invoiced a few days after the customs broker finishes up the paperwork (and could be after the package is already in recipient's hands).

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

^ thank you sir!
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                        ALL OF EM

Except a suit.

i used to love tuck everything but now i believe it worsens an outfit most of the time.

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

Can't say I've known it to but I don't have a tremendous range in silhouettes day to day and really only wear high boots.

Comment

• fromcolortoblack
                            • Feb 2015

Haha thanks for the responses Arkady, PurpleJesuss, and ian+. I'm trying to understand tucks better so that I can incorporate them into my outfits without looking like a fool, but I'm pretty new to this.

ian+ could you elaborate more on the types of pants, boots, and outfits/silhouettes are usually improved by a tuck? I get that there's no golden rule of "when to tuck" and "when not to tuck", but as a newbie all I've got to work on are "rules" -- until I get more experience with it and can better understand what makes it look good and what doesn't make it look good.

PurpleJesuss, could you elaborate on why you think it worsens an outfit most of the time?

If you guys have any examples of fits that you like that incorporate a tuck, I'd love to see them as well

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                              • May 2014

I believe boot tucks can look sloppy a lot of the time. If the pants aren't tight enough, you can get mushroom top scenarios where a bunch of the fabric just breaks the line of the silhouette. This can also happen more frequently if the boot has a really tight shaft.
                              I also think boot tucks can break proportions by creating the illusion of shorter legs. You're then left with a stumpy and unflattering figure.

Of course there are some boots that should almost always be tucked(anything that resembles laced combats imo), but i don't think this means you should disregard the pants you pair with them.
                              On the other hand, i personally don't enjoy tucking on boots that have an upturn (recent lasts from ma+,a1923 and to some extent ccp are things that come to mind).
                              For this interaction, i'd say pants are equally as important.No tuck for anything with wider leg opening/raw hems. Tuck for pants with more volume like inaisce nasreddins or old DD.

These are just examples and there's countless scenarios. I'd suggest just lurking the waywt for good and bad examples.

Comment

• HugAndWug
                                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by PurpleJesuss View Post
                                For this interaction, i'd say pants are equally as important.No tuck for anything with wider leg opening/raw hems. Tuck for pants with more volume like inaisce nasreddins
                                Just to comment on this and how it applies to boot tucking in general using Nasreddins as an example, boot height/build is very important in this. Low boots have a much different look than taller boots with a tuck. Especially when using pants like Nasreddins/larger volume pants.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎