• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XSKY
    • Jun 2008

Re: How do you guys afford this shit?

student budget spending:

1st: KNOW your style!!!!

Then there truly will never be a case that monies were ill spent.

2nd: IMPULSE BUYING es no bueno... Definitely be feeling it 100%, and make sure it flows with all the kit, not just some of the kit!

* If you stick to this, you should be a happy student ( I am/was :)) )

Originally posted by Faust
    snafu, you are such a kunktease.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

i don't think it's a ridiculous question. i do double takes here and on sufu when people of about 20 are wearing 3-5k worth of outfit; even at 50% off that's some serious money.

I posed a similar question on sufu out of sheer curiosity being that i know my own financial circumstances but not other people's. and i'm 32 and have been in my career for quite a while. In college I was buying thrift only.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

I don't know... is it really that difficult?

Like a lot of people on here say... sales are where it is at... same goes with secondhand purchasing.

Yoox was my greatest friend in college. I outfitted myself with a whole bunch of Dior Homme my junior and senior year thanks to it. If you think about how brands like Polo are considered "average" in terms of pricing... you're talking coats that are easily $500+! And EVERYONE has that. Via Yoox, you can easily get some Rick outerwear for even cheaper than that.

It's about being resourceful.

Why don't people ask high school students where they're getting the $3k for a set of rims for their civic? Or... the new body kit? Paint job?

It's a hobby like any other... and people have made good points: Buy something really nice on sale at $400... wear it for a while and if you don't want it anymore throw it up for sale and maybe even part with it for $500. If anything, you're in the black then.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• sinnah
          • Feb 2007

Yoox still is my greatest friend haha...

I'd say most young
          adults like me, have most of their base living expenses covered from
          living under their parents roofs... thus whatever money we make is
          disposable.

I'm 23 and have just finished University, but
          during the past 4 years the only expenses I had to worry about were a
          monthly cell phone bill, transit pass, and leisure money (aka alcohol
          money haha). I held steady jobs, managed my money wisely, and was able
          to afford big ticket items every 2 and a half to 3 months. I'd buy only
          5 or 6 big ticket classic pieces every year. Reselling pieces to buy
          new pieces comes in handy too.

People often ask how I'm able to spend so much on clothes?
          Some say its ridiculous, but people often dont realize that fashion is
          my primary hobby. Clothes aren't something I just WEAR but also
          something I admire whereas to others it IS something they just wear so
          they can't justify the price. Instead they go out and buy a 15 grand
          car and spend 3K every year for insurance. They see value in the car,
          I see the value in the clothes. That's how it is.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
            • Jan 2008

I have a credit card that I use only for clothes. I go shopping with it only when it is totally paid off. It's a nice damage control measure.
            Originally posted by ddohnggo
            fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• siman
              • Jun 2008

Thanks for all the replies everyone I just really wanted to know how to put a reasonable wardrobe together. The first step I took was cutting out drugs in my life. Even though they are awesome they are the biggest waste of money and they don't stay with you like clothes do.

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

How do you put a reasonable wardrobe together?

[quote user="siman"]Thanks for all the replies everyone I just really wanted to know how to put a reasonable wardrobe together. The first step I took was cutting out drugs in my life. Even though they are awesome they are the biggest waste of money and they don't stay with you like clothes do.
                [/quote]
                Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="siman"]Thanks for all the replies everyone I just really wanted to know how to put a reasonable wardrobe together. The first step I took was cutting out drugs in my life. Even though they are awesome they are the biggest waste of money and they don't stay with you like clothes do.
                  [/quote]

Fucking monks.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• awlouie
                    • Sep 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"]

[/quote]

Fucking monks.

[/quote]

What do monks have to do with it? [:^)]

"Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
                    -Bruce Lee

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

[quote user="awlouie"]

[/quote]

Sorry, that was way too vague. It seemed like such an ascetic statement, and somehow that makes me think of monks.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• awlouie
                        • Sep 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"][quote user="awlouie"]

[/quote]

Sorry, that was way too vague. It seemed like such an ascetic statement, and somehow that makes me think of monks.

[/quote]

Thanks....I got it! [85]

"Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
                        -Bruce Lee

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

I'm an "atmosphere dancer" for old ladies. The pay is definitely worth the humiliation when you have no dignity; at least that's what my analyst says but maybe he's just making sure I keep being able to afford his bills.
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fade
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by siman View Post
                            I'm not looking for a justification at all I don't see a problem with spending alot on something you really enjoy. I just wanted to know if they sacrificed quality in stuff like rent and food to pay for clothes. I really love the clothes on this site and wish I could afford more pieces. I just want to know that if i wanna look like a balla when i start working what my living conditions will be like.
                            Well it'd be very hard for sure! But you know, you don't need to spend millions to look good, but it's also true that if you want to wear a particular kind of clothes and you ain't got so much money you must be very careful at what you buy and do some sacrifices!
                            For example, this summer i've worked for one week like a dog (oh if only my back could talk!) and i've sold a lot of my cd's only to buy a pair of Mykita sunglasses and a pair of Raf Simons's shoes, but hey! I was so satisfied that i forgot how much i've worked to buy them....

That's the point...i'm student like you and i understand what you mean, i live in a country (italy) where you got to be a bank robber if you want to buy some clothes like these....

Comment

• LEWisMe
                              • Jul 2007

I think XSKY nailed it. If you've got a tight budget but still want to get into high fashion, you really have to figure out your style and select pieces that are versatile and "classic" enough that you can wear them for a few seasons if not longer. That way you've got a foundation to build on.

I guess the keys to success in this game are:

Patience (waiting for sales)
                              Diligent research (to find your style and the sales)
                              Moderation (don't do any impulse buying)

I wish I put more focus into what style I wanted to end up with when I first picked up this addiction. I would have saved a lot of money.

Good luck and have fun!
                              "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Fade View Post
                                Well it'd be very hard for sure! But you know, you don't need to spend millions to look good, but it's also true that if you want to wear a particular kind of clothes and you ain't got so much money you must be very careful at what you buy and do some sacrifices!
                                For example, this summer i've worked for one week like a dog (oh if only my back could talk!) and i've sold a lot of my cd's only to buy a pair of Mykita sunglasses and a pair of Raf Simons's shoes, but hey! I was so satisfied that i forgot how much i've worked to buy them....

That's the point...i'm student like you and i understand what you mean, i live in a country (italy) where you got to be a bank robber if you want to buy some clothes like these....
                                wow...OT but this is first time in years i have encountered someone else with 'Fade' in their screen name. It's probably very common, but then again I think i've had this s/n for a bit too long (4 years now!)
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎