Clear All
  • Squeek
    • Jun 2009

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
      What are those gloves Fergie's wearing... Oi.

Incidentally...

It's not always the designer that inspires the musician; Sometimes the musician inspires the designer:

Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        I apologise for perpetuating the celebrity talk to those who find it objectionable, but I'll try to do so in a more general sense. I'll assume the stylist is not a total idiot and knows what kind of image and aesthetic these clothes convey. I'll also assume the stylist knows what kind of image the Black Eyed Peas convey, and, more importantly, is being honest with himself/herself. Assuming those two assumptions are correct, why would this person knowingly dress these people in clothing that is incongruous with their public image and the music they produce? I suppose the more general question is why anyone would knowingly wear (or have others wear) clothes that clearly don't suit them?
        I don't think it's a particularly complex question, just comes down to some people having an eye for things and most people not. A lot of people can fall in the latter category and still get by quite well despite the fact, the majority can't tell the damn difference anyway.

It's not so much a matter of honesty as much as awareness, insight and being able to connect the external world of clothes and information with something personal that's more specific, intuitive and harder to pinpoint. I always find it a real downer looking at 'style evolution' documents with somebody starting out wearing things that are quite pedestrian but spontaneous and natural to themselves, then along the line you can see them growing into a look that's very proportionate and expensive and all that, but utterly hollow.

i can see the attraction to both sides of the discussion...it's easy and fun to bitch and bash at people in the public eye, but i would hope that being able to dress alone isn't what pays their bills, so it's not that important...all these clothes and shit instill an illusion of human worth (or lack of) that doesn't really hold.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Stack
          • Jan 2008

^ I wanna drink with this guy
          once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
            how else can you explain this sort of thing:

Jesus, don't do this to me again, please!!!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I apologise for perpetuating the celebrity talk to those who find it objectionable, but I'll try to do so in a more general sense. I'll assume the stylist is not a total idiot and knows what kind of image and aesthetic these clothes convey. I'll also assume the stylist knows what kind of image the Black Eyed Peas convey, and, more importantly, is being honest with himself/herself. Assuming those two assumptions are correct, why would this person knowingly dress these people in clothing that is incongruous with their public image and the music they produce? I suppose the more general question is why anyone would knowingly wear (or have others wear) clothes that clearly don't suit them?
              Your assumptions precipitate a notion that both celebrities and their stylists possess cerebral abilities congruent with their actual cultural status. This is a popular myth waiting to be debunked. Too bad Barthes is dead.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• the breaks
                • Sep 2007

Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  I don't think it's a particularly complex question, just comes down to some people having an eye for things and most people not. A lot of people can fall in the latter category and still get by quite well despite the fact, the majority can't tell the damn difference anyway.

It's not so much a matter of honesty as much as awareness, insight and being able to connect the external world of clothes and information with something personal that's more specific, intuitive and harder to pinpoint. I always find it a real downer looking at 'style evolution' documents with somebody starting out wearing things that are quite pedestrian but spontaneous and natural to themselves, then along the line you can see them growing into a look that's very proportionate and expensive and all that, but utterly hollow.

i can see the attraction to both sides of the discussion...it's easy and fun to bitch and bash at people in the public eye, but i would hope that being able to dress alone isn't what pays their bills, so it's not that important...all these clothes and shit instill an illusion of human worth (or lack of) that doesn't really hold.
                  Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Your [SR's] assumptions precipitate a notion that both celebrities and their stylists possess cerebral abilities congruent with their actual cultural status. This is a popular myth waiting to be debunked. Too bad Barthes is dead.
                  FtB, what Faust said. I think I may have given these people more credit than you did, as I took it for granted that they fall into your first category, and by extension, have the awareness and the insight and can connect the external with the personal. Maybe that's giving them too much credit, but I assumed that those were the qualities one looked for in a stylist. But like you implied, maybe these people just want to look cool.

The argument that clothing should not be too important to people has irked me since I became interested in fashion. Admittedly, it's not the most important thing in my life, but it is still very valuable to me. I think it definitely gets a bad reputation because of the superficial majority, but the same things could be said about any hobby. Hunters can get a bad reputation because some think they don't protect the environment, but they may be hunting overpopulated species. Additionally, someone noted some time ago that some hunters are actually big environmentalists.
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• ardeetee
                    • Apr 2007

wow those semen explosion jeans are ridiculous, surely that was an accident seeing as there's a hole right in the front

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

The argument that clothing should not be too important to people has irked me since I became interested in fashion. Admittedly, it's not the most important thing in my life, but it is still very valuable to me. I think it definitely gets a bad reputation because of the superficial majority, but the same things could be said about any hobby. Hunters can get a bad reputation because some think they don't protect the environment, but they may be hunting overpopulated species. Additionally, someone noted some time ago that some hunters are actually big environmentalists.
                      i can see the validity in this perspective, and i would agree with it despite my occasionally outspoken reservations towards a lot of the generalized implications that clothes/"fashion" has. However it may be the case many more people just aren't plugged in that way, even if they work in something where visual presentation traditionally takes a front seat.

Stack - thanks, don't drink though.

edit - probably why i'm always feeling dark as fuck these days. oh well.
                      Last edited by Fade to Black; 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Stack
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                        Stack - thanks, don't drink though.
                        that's alright, i'll do it for you
                        once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• beardown
                          rekoner
                          • Feb 2009

"Looks like your jeans are having a really good time this evening."

Originally posted by mizzar
                          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• nickt
                            • May 2008

$700 RO MINK BUNNY!

"Crafted out of mink, the “Fur Monster” houses your keys and cash but will inevitably hinder your ability to pay rent."

Comment

• Lumina
                              • Dec 2009

It's a shame to see such thing associated with Yamamoto's name

Comment

• ironman
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
                                I thought they were like MAD expensive, and that 700 would be a good find. Using it as a wallet, can´t see how it´s worse than paying 600 usd for a piece of folded leather.
                                yeah i don't see anything too wtf about it. i think it's pretty awesome; only problem would be how to carry it around if you didn't have a bag. that fur monster doesn't exactly fit into pockets lol

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎