• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LelandJ
    Banned
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
    Ah hell, maybe it's not such a bad thing, being forced to act how you would if any moment could be played out repeatedly for all practical eternity. It almost sounds Nietzschean.
    Stockholm syndrome much?

Comment

• stagename
      • Oct 2011

Ripped from le21e. Those boots.

Comment

• Icarium
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        Ah hell, maybe it's not such a bad thing, being forced to act how you would if any moment could be played out repeatedly for all practical eternity. It almost sounds Nietzschean.
        Or people will get over the fact that we all are weird and imperfect and people will be less self conscious and just are themselves. I'm an optimist though ;p

I do think once its all out there though I feel like people will stop investing so much in perception management... once it becomes clear that the house always wins in the sense that unless you are 100% perfect in covering your tracks and building your persona some automated system is going to find the inconsistency and point it out to the general public and all that work will be for nothing.

The RoI on perception management will just be less and less and at some point just not worth it to anyone that isn't going to be a President or something and even maybe not possible even with a team of technologically-savvy/assisted people hiding your past.

Comment

• apathy!
          • Jan 2014

I think those boots are pretty cool, actually.

It's not an aesthetic I'm really into. But I think Raf does it the best.

Comment

• drizzly
            Banned
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
            yeah that happened. and google glass is banned in several bars/restaurants in SF. there's a pretty strong general hostility towards tech companies building in the city, due them parasitizing on infrastructure (google buses etc), due to rents spiraling out of control from gentrification (techies moving in), and due to massive ellis act evictions in order to rent housing out through airbnb etc.
            I am not a huge fan of all the gentrification happening in sf. But, one has to think of all the good its done over the years. SF is getting built up more, there are a lot more artisan stores, small business popping up everywhere. My favorite is that some neighborhoods became more accessible due to the gentrification providing a safe environment.

Main thing i hate in SF is the traffic and that its a 7X7 mile city that takes 30 minutes or more to cross.

RE google glass, definitely inevitable, i wonder when will manufacturers start making the glasses less noticeable. Then people will be wearing them all the time and others won't know.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
              I am not a huge fan of all the gentrification happening in sf. But, one has to think of all the good its done over the years. SF is getting built up more, there are a lot more artisan stores, small business popping up everywhere. My favorite is that some neighborhoods became more accessible due to the gentrification providing a safe environment.

Main thing i hate in SF is the traffic and that its a 7X7 mile city that takes 30 minutes or more to cross.

RE google glass, definitely inevitable, i wonder when will manufacturers start making the glasses less noticeable. Then people will be wearing them all the time and others won't know.
              I think people are blowing up Google Glass way too much. It's ridiculously easy to record someone already. In fact, GG makes it more difficult because it's obvious when the screen is on (user can't focus on person as well). Furthermore, there's obvious suspicion.

It's easier to just stick a recording device in my pocket, or even my phone. If my phone peeks out of my pocket, nobody is going to think something is weird, just small pockets. Audio recording is even easier.

Comment

• apathy!
                • Jan 2014

It's not the invasion of privacy (although that sucks too).

It's the digitilisation of human interaction.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
                  It's not the invasion of privacy (although that sucks too).

It's the digitilisation of human interaction.
                  Oh. Meh. I don't mind that at all. I feel like we get more done digitally than not. Beyond the emotional (and the manipulation thereof), I find that writing gets more done.

Comment

• LelandJ
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2014

Apple just has to release their version of glassholes and it'll be as cool as facebook. The youth will hypebeast and pay good money to have 1984 come full fruition. They'll even be relieved when facial gesture algorithms can detect terrorist minds and keep pre-criminals in secret prisons before another 9/11 can happen, no intelligent man wants to have to hear official stories defy physical laws.

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

iEye or iI or iSpy?

Comment

• LelandJ
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2014

iSee

Comment

• apathy!
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                          Oh. Meh. I don't mind that at all. I feel like we get more done digitally than not. Beyond the emotional (and the manipulation thereof), I find that writing gets more done.
                          Sorry. I honestly don't understand this post at all. My point is that our addiction to being instantly gratified by and abosrbed in our digital devices is to the detriment of other aspects of life.

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                          Apple just has to release their version of glassholes and it'll be as cool as facebook. The youth will hypebeast and pay good money to have 1984 come full fruition. They'll even be relieved when facial gesture algorithms can detect terrorist minds and keep pre-criminals in secret prisons before another 9/11 can happen, no intelligent man wants to have to hear official stories defy physical laws.
                          Please don't stop posting.

Comment

• Icarium
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                            you don't work for google, do you?

techcrunch aren't exactly unbiased on this issue...
                            Whoops missed this. I used to yes and am at a startup now so definitely on the tech side of the fence of the issue. I'm not really a rah rah party-line kind of person, but do think the lash out against tech is misplaced and not helpful in any way. Fundamentally I believe the tech scene here has brought vastly more value to the area/community than it's taken away.

It sucks that what makes SF is being slowly gentrified out and replaced with us tech bros, but even without tech I think SF as an inherently awesome place to live, foreign money and the appeal of urban living eclipsing surban appeal would have led to the current situation as well due to supply and demand.

I do find the abuse/use of the Ellis Act to be scummy.

Everyone who cares is biased on this issue I'm sure :) That said, I found the techcrunch article to be very comprehensive and filled with illuminating facts. If you disagree I'd love to see counter examples just to better educate myself on the issue. Honestly haven't followed it closely until the techcrunch article so most of my knowledge stems from it so if its only telling a biased version of part of the picture would love to remedy that.

Oh yeah, I'm also born/raised in silicon valley so strong Californian biases as well.

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Woman fastens newborn to her wedding train…

Explains that baby was perfectly safe because it was "covered by Christ"

sain't

Comment

• LelandJ
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2014

^
                                good find

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰