Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eton97
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PaintedBlack_7;289309. My all tiem dream watch would the this one from the ralph Lauren collection, i know he is hated here...[IMG
    http://www.acquiremag.com/2009/01/20/rlwatches.jpg[/IMG]
    I have been collecting watches for a long time, and whilst i don't 'hate' any designer, and i do stick to one or two brands, i do feel that if you are going to spend $15k on a watch, buy a watch that made by a watchmaker and has his stamp on it, rather than ralph laurens.....

My all time favourite watch is a 1978 rolex daytona 6263 with black face - they also came with a white face and the 'paul newman' face (but add another $30k for newman version...).

The 6263 is an iconic watch, that has the prefect mix of retro styling and classic sporty lines...is amazingly easy to wear, understated, sturdy and durable enough for everyday use......

Last edited by eton97; 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM.
    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• gnow
      • Jun 2010

^ wow. jesus. I'm not even gonna ask how much u spend on the 6263, but I would like know when u got your hands on it. During 1978? IMO, all 4 digits Daytonas are easily considered grails, and are probably top of the list for avid watch collectors. Nice piece you've got there.
      As for the 'paul newman' dial, it took me quite a fair amount of time to even tell the difference. It's obviously an addition only for collectors.

On a side note, I feel that the current Daytonas are probably one of the few Rolex watches which gives a positive return on investment.

Comment

• eton97
        • Dec 2008

I was 5 years old in 1978 . I got it in 1993 as a 30th birthday present to myself.
        The paul newmans are not worth the additional $30k as it is exactly the same watch as the standard 6263, just the face is different. So in effect you are spending shit loads extra for what is essentially a painted disk the size of a 10p coin.
        Completely agree on your comment on daytona's being a good investment. My curent day watches are a 2010 black stainless steel daytona and a 2009 green crystal milgauss (which I haven't taken off for the last 3 weeks.

Comment

• gnow
          • Jun 2010

You don't remove em even when you go for a shower?
          As for the 1978 comment, I was thinking that maybe your dad got it then, and gave it on to you or something.

Comment

• eton97
            • Dec 2008

always remove them.....
            and i wish my dad had bought it for me....

my current favourite:

Comment

• theaddict
              • Apr 2008

Fuck the 6232 is amazing mate...First Watch i have a plain date just with black dial...but I am hooked...
              I also want a Lange or glashutte. And my dream is a patek nautilus or a audemar piguet royal oak...shits so expensive though...
              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

This is my favorite watch face ever. No brand name, no clutter, nothing excessive, just a quality mechanism that tells the time. Obviously, I would use a different strap. I understand there are lots of extravagant, interesting, expensive watches, but every one I have ever seen is branded. I can't stand branding, and I don't like clutter.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                  I have been collecting watches for a long time, and whilst i don't 'hate' any designer, and i do stick to one or two brands, i do feel that if you are going to spend $15k on a watch, buy a watch that made by a watchmaker and has his stamp on it, rather than ralph laurens.....
                  the ralph Lauren watch uses a movement sourced by piaget, I'd love to have a patek phillipe 5119 Calatrava too (starts at 12k iirc) , but the RL one looks a little better.

Then again i only wear some cheap ass seikos, and that took me a while to read up on, pretty much one of the only houses that still make movements in house (along with citizen) everyone else out there recycles Swiss ETA movements (including replicas)

Comment

• michael_kard
                    • Oct 2010

/\ That looks very refined and subtle. After considering the reactions to what I wrote earlier I decided I should get a watch, and it's going to be that one but with the leather band. So thank you very much
                    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                      /\ That looks very refined and subtle. After considering the reactions to what I wrote earlier I decided I should get a watch, and it's going to be that one but with the leather band. So thank you very much
                      Glad you came around, i honestly think you will enjoy wearing a watch. and that is a great looking option. Enjoy.

Comment

• Atom
                        • Sep 2009

Nothing fancy here, I'm wearing Muji watches. No frills, no branding, but they do the job. Fairly priced as well.

Comment

• docus
                          • Dec 2010

^^^ That's a great suggestion Atom! I've been looking for something good value to replace my ancient Casio calculator watch! I like the first of the two you found, very clean - but unfortunately they don't have it on the Muji European site. Is it an old model?, or available elsewhere?

Comment

• Atom
                            • Sep 2009

The first one was purchased from Osaka last spring, the second one I bought from Muji in Shinjuku about 3-4 years ago.

Those should still be available at Japanese Mujis, as I stole the pictures from their website today.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                              • Jan 2007

I was 5 years old in 1978 . I got it in 1993 as a 30th birthday present to myself.
                              Originally posted by jogu
                              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• gnow
                                • Jun 2010

From your Daytona to your milgauss, it seems like you don't like watches with dates. For me, it's pretty much a must have. Love the Milgauss though!

always remove them.....
                                and i wish my dad had bought it for me....

my current favourite:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎