• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yan
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
    watch that's supposedly made with parts of the titanic

I wonder if you can feel the spirits of those who died. Sounds a bit sick to me.

Comment

• droogist
      • Sep 2006

I think Manufactum has a very nice selection right now that won't break the bank (relatively speaking, of course):

Mühle

Ole Mathiesen

Nomos

Stowa

Sinn

Comment

• williamorales
        • Sep 2008

Holiday watch shopping help

i'm thinking of getting a lip Diode led watch and an issey miyake To watch. which do you like better among the 2 since i will give 1 as a present to my little brother? i'm thinking of giving the To since it's automatic and probablly his first.

links to the 2 watches mentioned above.
        Kenmar Watches knows how to treat its customers. We search the market for fashion forward brands that will enhance your personal fashion statement.

Your daily guide to all things hip, retro and vintage, from design and interiors through to fashion and style plus everything in-between

i'd also love some help on picking watch straps from ABP for both watches. what do you think about gray elephant for the To and forest green stingray for a gold Diode. Or perhaps an aqua stingray strap for a silver Diode.

link to abp.

Comment

• unmetro
          • Sep 2006

as watches go...i understand most would consider a Patek Philippe (http://www.patek.com/) to be the highest of the high...and appreciates well.

a more affordable watch which appeals to me are those by Zeno Watch Basel (http://www.zenousa.com/index.htm), those should hold their value well too.

Comment

• D_S
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
            This is one of my favorite Breguets, a white gold 5140 with an enamel dial. The numbers and tick-marks are hand-painted onto the dial. I really like the off-center seconds dial. The movement (like most Breguet Classiques) is also engraved beautifully. You can't see the movement, because the watch has a solid back, but in a way, I like that more - the watchmaker spent an exceptional amount of time decorating a movement that the customer is never going to see, just because that's the way they do things.

Yes thats my favorite looking simple Breguet as well. Im not sure what movement they are using now that theyre manufacture-ish but durability was quite a problem when I was looking into one a few years back.

If I was an uber baller I would rock the skeleton toubrillion

Sadly im too practical for something like that. When it comes time to pull the trigger on a Breguet it'll be the Reveil Du Tsar. About as useful as a mechanical watch could ever hope to be with my lifestyle.

Comment

• D_S
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Real Real, what is the rate of failure on these premium mechanical watches? I would imagine not big, and that they are not very expensive to fix? I would entertain the idea of buying from timezone.
              Of course a simple piece will be easier/cheaper but if you get into the perpetual repeating flying grand complication scene you can be looking at the price of a volkswagen for repair.

The timezone guys are knowledgeable and helpful. Also there are plenty of online Swiss dealers that do way less than msrp and if you go retail just asking will often knock a decent chunk off the price.

Comment

• D_S
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                my dream watches

lange 1

&

f.p. journe octa calendrier
                A lange & Sohne makes some beautiful watches. My all time favorite is the 1815 Moonphase http://marina.fortunecity.com/westin...k/1815moon.jpg
                :)

Comment

• D_S
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                  [quote user="rn28"] knock-off???

YES!11!"1

personally, I'd rather spend $300 on a decent quality automaticreplica, that to melooks betterthan the real thing,as I prefer the cleaner look without any excess dials and such.

[/QUOTE]

Although I could never buy a replica myself, with a watch like the Panerai....... Not too much of a difference between a model with an ETA movement and a high quality knock off with the same movement!

I kid, I kid (kind of).

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Avyer View Post

Really liking these from Denis Guidone.
                    Hm, interesting. I like the minimalist modernist feel.
                    Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• khiev
                      • Nov 2006

Diego, did you get the Hublot? I am thinking of getting the Hublot Aero Big Bang in Ceramic. The Hublot Big Bang All Black may be more of an limited edition but I prefer the skeleton look of the Aero Bang. It's honestly hard to find a quality watch with a skeleton dial w/o going over 25K so I think this is one of the better ones. Not to mention that the Aero Bang isnt nearly as marked up as the Big Bang All Black. The Aero Bang is actually cheaper than the BBAB considering that the suggested retail price for the latter is $12k vs. $17k for the ABB.

Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Tungsten

Real, I think that the PAM 317 is also very desirable although the waiting list is fairly long. My favorite Panerai by far.

Another pretty sweet watch by Frank Vila. The Chronograph Grand Date Black Diehard Extreme Steel.

Last edited by khiev; 01-22-2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Diego
                        • Aug 2007

Khiev, I did get the big bang all black (#190 of 250) and it is great but the aero bang in ceramic is beautiful, you should go for it!

For my next watch, I'm very interested in the new Romain Jerome moon dust-dna series, I'll have to wait and see the prices for all models but this looks good:

Comment

• khiev
                          • Nov 2006

ah yes that one, I guess we'll have to wait till basel/SIHH 09. Like the pam 317, I expect a crazy bidding war over the probably extremely limited editions. Officially starting at 15k but it is more likely to be insanely marked up in retail shops just like the titanic dna, probably way more seeing how this is otherworldly material picked up from the original landing. I mean, damn, they're already $35 million backordered for only a specific series, imagine how much more craze they'll get over this one.

Comment

• mw000
                            • Jan 2009

Pam 317 is amazing!

I think the Titanic DNA would feel cursed. I am fairly certain the Chinese market for that would be 0.0

I am currently wearing the Pam 111 along a few vintage pieces. Here is a shot of a few of my pieces

Left (Vintage Breitling Chronomatic 46mm - now sold)
                            Middle (U-boat Chronograph 53mm)
                            Right (Panerai 111i 44mm)
                            ________
                            Harley-Davidson 8 Valve
                            Last edited by mw000; 01-22-2011, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Real Real
                              • Feb 2007

Not a fan of the Hublots.

Here's a beautiful Vacheron Constantin:

Comment

• maldoror
                                • Jun 2007

^gorgeous. what model is that?

Comment

Working...
                                X