X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

bought this in '79 after saving up for months. my first gig in the "fashion" bus paid this exuberant and eager to learn trainee a whopping $150/wk . I bought it with a leather strap cuz I couldn't afford the bracelet.. bought that about 1/2 year later . I've beaten the shit out of it (only watch I wear) and haven't gotten it cleaned or serviced in over 10 years and it needs it desperately

on that note, can anyone recommend a good watch repair/ service in NYC that isn't Rolex? They take forever and want your first born

as you can see, it's a 3/4 (I'm a small dude) gold/ stainless datejust with the old non quick set movement

*EDIT* I took and uploaded the pic via iPhone and it appears that the image may be oversized. I can't really tell on my phone and my puter, well the only 1 that boots at the moment, is in my car. I apologize if the pic us too big

Comment

• skinfade
      • Jul 2010

Sargon the pilot chrono looks great with this strap.

Comment

• chomeo
        • Mar 2010

Sargon - i had that watch and sold it for the newer version. i've regret it ever since. great watch and band!

Comment

• arc
          • Mar 2011

black or white

Comment

• eton97
            • Dec 2008

I have the black face daytona and I far prefer it.

IMO it gives the watch a sportier look than the more formal look of the white face
            you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• skinfade
              • Jul 2010

I prefer the black dial but it will be nice to have a leather strap.

Comment

• chomeo
                • Mar 2010

Black. You so lucky!

Comment

• arc
                  • Mar 2011

I think white could go really well with suit.

And yes black is sportier.

Comment

• mw000
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                    Interesting to hear about the PVD treatment. I appreciate the heads up.

I've been looking around for a 1981 SS datejust. Just something to match my birth year :) Simple and classic... goes with everything.

Totally agree with the PVD aspect. I have a PVD watch that I rarely wear for that exact reason.

Consider a ceramic case. They are matte black and scratch resistant. You can even key the hell out of it with no damage but it is game over for the case if you drop it.

If anyone is in the market for a Panerai, I highly recommend the 292 Black Seal Ceramic. I picked one up recently and love it. The only thing that sucks on Radiomirs is strap changes

Also for any of the 44mm polished luminors, have a look at aftermarket bead blasting of the case. It makes a beautiful matte grey color if you don't like a watch that is too shiny.

For AgentL, have you ever considered the DSSD on a green 4 ring Zulu? Looks great IMO

Comment

• Agent L
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sargon97 View Post
                      Had this for about 10 years now, just starting to take on a bit of patina. Currently on horween bund strap.

Dig the Fliegerchronograph! Looks great with the bund strap. The Flieger was my first IWC with German days like yours. It rides on my nephew's wrist now.

Comment

• Agent L
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mw000 View Post
                        For AgentL, have you ever considered the DSSD on a green 4 ring Zulu? Looks great IMO
                        No but I have considered a black NATO strap ; )

Comment

• mixmaster7_91
                          • Oct 2010

I personally don't reckon large watches look stupid on small wrists. I have a really small wrist and I quite like the look of Pams and even the Rolex DSSD on my wrist. I've seen heaps of girls rocking 44mm Panerais and I reckon they look sick. Even my girlfriend wants one haha.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Abliss
                            Must admit, never been a fan of that exact IWC, or in fact any larger watches. Might be my small wrists that make them look stupid on me :)
                            IWC did not used to look like that. Must be the Panerai effect.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sargon97
                              • Jan 2009

Yup, watches have been getting bigger and bigger. My Fliger above is 39mm, which is a girls watch by todays standards (and thats the older smaller chrono). If one wants a big watch, just get a speedmaster 125 and be done with it.

Comment

• mixmaster7_91
                                • Oct 2010

So my mum came back from Singapore yesterday, and with my lightly used Prohunter Double Red Deep Sea Seadweller

I actually really like this watch. The matt black bracelet contrasting with the ceramic bezel is actually really nice. My only complain is it is quite heavy. While I had tried on the DSSD previously in a shop, the weight factor only really becomes apparent with extended wear. While it wasn't particularly one of the watches I was after, this was sourced for me from my uncle who is a watch dealer and he sold it to me at his cost and said I'd have no problem recovering my money when I decide to sell it. So planning to wear it till July then flip it for a Panerai when I'm over in Hong Kong .

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎