Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lost53
    • Dec 2010

We are, it was a (albeit piss poor) joke.

Comment

• pregnantbob
      • May 2011

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
      you must not travel much ...

“Each person who gets stuck in time gets stuck alone.”
      ― Alan Lightman, Einstein's Dreams
      I genuinely don't get the joke here...

where I live when you travel you get sales back on departure... so travelling for work meant I got a bit of spending money back from my IWC.

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
      5711. Then I'm done...for me it's the ultimate.
      my least favourite aesthetically, but a great watch nonetheless.

Faust look at the IWC 3717, 3777 and 3256. All within your price range, some you may have to haggle for, but it's like a car. Never pay sticker.

Be aware in that price range you won't get in house movements with IWC and those contain valjoux modifided by IWC or made to their specs.

Comment

• cmitso412
        • Feb 2010

You know that AMG supplies Horacio with the engines for his Paganis, but you think Ferrari produces everything in-house?

Since we're talking watch movements, I'll just say that Ferrari doesn't even produce all the major powertrain components in-house.

Edit: I was referring to the Getrag transmissions use by Ferrari for most of current production cars.

Originally posted by pregnantbob View Post
        The ferrari uses everything in house where as Pagani have always used an AMG engine... I.E. Non-inhouse engine (movement/complication).
        Last edited by cmitso412; 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• cmitso412
          • Feb 2010

For me, it'd have to be a rose 2499.

5711. Then I'm done...for me it's the ultimate.

Comment

• pregnantbob
            • May 2011

Originally posted by cmitso412 View Post
            You know that AMG supplies Horacio with the engines for his Paganis, but you think Ferrari produces everything in-house?

Since we're talking watch movements, I'll just say that Ferrari doesn't even produce all the major powertrain components in-house.
            Not really the point.

If you want to nitpick details then an analogy from a completely different industry will never hold up. Ferraris build their engines in house as far as I am aware.

Focus on what I mentioned about an outsourced engine having no detrimental effect on how awesome a Pagani is.

Comment

• pregnantbob
              • May 2011

Originally posted by cmitso412 View Post
              For me, it'd have to be a rose 2499.
              +1

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

+1
                Ummm. I always struggle with the concept of function vs use.
                As a previous owner of several daytonas (zenith, 116520 and 6263) I am partial to a chrono, but you pay a lot for something you ultimately don't use, and I personally find the dials make the face fussy. Even more the case with moon phases which IMO also make it look at bit dated.
                If I were to go for a chrono it would be the 5980 or 5960....but my wife would divorce me.
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• eton97
                  • Dec 2008

my least favourite aesthetically, but a great watch nonetheless
                  I used to feel the same way, but over the years and after trying it on numerous times, it's become an obsession. I find its simplicity striking. And I prefer the sportier look vs the more formal versions.

Comment

• pregnantbob
                    • May 2011

Ummm. I always struggle with the concept of function vs use.
                    As a previous owner of several daytonas (zenith, 116520 and 6263) I am partial to a chrono, but you pay a lot for something you ultimately don't use, and I personally find the dials make the face fussy. Even more the case with moon phases which IMO also make it look at bit dated.
                    If I were to go for a chrono it would be the 5980 or 5960....but my wife would divorce me.
                    I literally held the IWC3799 in one hand and the IWC5001 in the other for about 30 minutes before I decided that the 7 days would be more wearable... all my watches are "dress" and this should have been the time to grab a large chrono but I just prefer form.

Debated getting a seamaster for diving but then slapped myself and got a 400 dollar g shock

I never caught the Daytona bug, probably why I'm not that huge a fan of chronos in general... unless they look more formal

EDIT: just saw the earlier page with your watches Eton... wow. Just some great pieces there.
                    Last edited by pregnantbob; 10-09-2013, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• MrBushido
                      • Dec 2013

This thread should be revived.

There are many watches i would like to own but my current grail 'for the last 5 years...' is the Urwerk 103t, which i unfortunately cannot afford...

Comment

• returningson
                        • Aug 2012

the only watch I currently own and have owned is an Omega Seamaster. Never has it let me down and I believe that it never will!

Comment

• eton97
                          • Dec 2008

Couldn't resist

Last edited by eton97; 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

i'll probably get shot for saying this, but that bezel really annoys me. it's just so... uh.. non-commital. it's not angular, it's not round... it's both and neither. and that just bothers the hell out of me - i like things that are nice and tidy, where decisions have been made and followed through upon...

and the subtle intricacies of the movement are just lost on a farm boy like myself.

but congrats on what i understand to be a very fine piece of horology.

Comment

• returningson
                              • Aug 2012

Stop showcasing your fine piece and focus on monitoring that emergency exit! People's lives are in your hands! [LOL]

Comment

• MrBushido
                                • Dec 2013

Nice piece eton!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡