• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

Take it to the dry cleaner?
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

Was hoping for a DIY. I don't trust any of the local cleaners.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

I use this, and it works very well.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Is it okay on colors and sheer fabrics?

Comment

• copacetic
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
            Was hoping for a DIY. I don't trust any of the local cleaners.
            patroklus, aren't you in la, or am i mistaken?

margaret's cleaners in newport beach is a real dry cleaning service. none better on the west coast. (they have locations down here in san diego, too.)
            And "When the prince has gathered about him
            "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

i live far enough from LA proper that taking a shirt to a cleaners and picking it up is seriously inconvenient. I'm actually based in the suburbs to the east of the city, and the cleaners out here are suspicious.

Comment

• copacetic
                • Nov 2010

if you have something super nice that needs dry cleaning and you don't want ruined forever, you can ship the piece to them, and they'll ship it back to you.

i've had too many garments ruined by idiot dry cleaners that i only use margaret's now.

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

just an older ann tank. there's so many holes it in already that I might be trying to polish a turd here. Maybe I should just slam my face into the wall and put some really big, intense blood stains into it.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                    • Aug 2010

Due to my clumsiness my Jil Sander dress now sports several obvious food stains, which consists of chilli sauce and a bit of oil probably. There is no care tag nor indication of material, but I'm assuming it's 100% silk. Do I attempt to handwash it with ordinary soap to remove the stain, or send it straight to the dry cleaners? Honestly I don't know of any single reliable one in my area.
                    Originally posted by Patroklus
                    Better too adventurous than not enough
                    everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• copacetic
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post

Honestly I don't know of any single reliable one in my area.

i guess i'm the cleaning guru today...

so are you in singapore? if so, go to one of the high-end boutiques, dior, prada, something like that. it has to be a "real" boutique, i.e. they are selling clothing, not just accessories. ask them who dry cleans their clothes.

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• savant
                        • Jul 2011

Hi guys

Is there any way to clean/restore these pair of Guidi 995 back to close to original with the glossy sheen ?

These are not my boots. Just wondering if i am able to or is there no point since it should just be beaten up ?

Comment

• beardown
                          rekoner
                          • Feb 2009

Don't take offense to this because I know you're new and you're learning but that is the original 'sheen' on Guidi boots. Obviously there are different leathers and different treatments and processing to the leather but if that's not a type of patina/effect you're looking for, Guidi boots are probably not the best boots for you.

They are made by hand and the leather is wonderfully treated so each piece has its own characteristics. There are 'flaws' in some that add to the interesting nature. If you're looking for a high gloss boot with a very consistent leather, you're probably not going to find that in Guidi.

Those things are beautiful. And the more wear they get, the more beautiful they will become.

Some people use a leather conditioner on them to care for the wear of the leather but beyond that (and polishing is up to you) what you see is what you get with Guidi when they're at their best in my opinion.
                          Originally posted by mizzar
                          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Verdandi
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                            Due to my clumsiness my Jil Sander dress now sports several obvious food stains, which consists of chilli sauce and a bit of oil probably. There is no care tag nor indication of material, but I'm assuming it's 100% silk. Do I attempt to handwash it with ordinary soap to remove the stain, or send it straight to the dry cleaners? Honestly I don't know of any single reliable one in my area.
                            I would take it to the dry cleaners. Removing stains from (some) silks only works when the stains have not dried yet. I would never use regular soap on silk. Some people say backing soda works for fresh stains but I would not try this if you aren't sure about the fabric.

I would ask for recomendtations for a good dry cleaner.
                            lavender menace

Comment

• savant
                              • Jul 2011

oh not at all beardown, any advice appreciated

I do understand the whole more wear = nice patina look and I want that worn look.

These are not my boots but about to buy them.

I was just wondering if the seller of the boots worn them in rain or whatever which removed the sheen.

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                              Don't take offense to this because I know you're new and you're learning but that is the original 'sheen' on Guidi boots. Obviously there are different leathers and different treatments and processing to the leather but if that's not a type of patina/effect you're looking for, Guidi boots are probably not the best boots for you.

They are made by hand and the leather is wonderfully treated so each piece has its own characteristics. There are 'flaws' in some that add to the interesting nature. If you're looking for a high gloss boot with a very consistent leather, you're probably not going to find that in Guidi.

Those things are beautiful. And the more wear they get, the more beautiful they will become.

Some people use a leather conditioner on them to care for the wear of the leather but beyond that (and polishing is up to you) what you see is what you get with Guidi when they're at their best in my opinion.

Comment

• beardown
                                rekoner
                                • Feb 2009

Again, it depends on the treatment and the type of leather.

Also, lighting plays a big role in how 'shiny' they appear in photos. If they fit and you like them, try them out. If you want a very polished shine you can get that with any kind of non-reversed leather just by using the right polish and technique.
                                Originally posted by mizzar
                                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎