X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magic
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
    Due to my clumsiness my Jil Sander dress now sports several obvious food stains, which consists of chilli sauce and a bit of oil probably. There is no care tag nor indication of material, but I'm assuming it's 100% silk. Do I attempt to handwash it with ordinary soap to remove the stain, or send it straight to the dry cleaners? Honestly I don't know of any single reliable one in my area.
    i would go to a dry cleaners for spot cleaning, if it doesnt get better than i will dry clean them. i know one which were very helpful and if you need more info pm me.
    Focusing on object details

Comment

• Rosenrot
      • Aug 2010

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've called Club21 for a recommendation and just sent it to the drycleaner. Fingers crossed or there goes a beautiful dress.
      Originally posted by Patroklus
      Better too adventurous than not enough
      everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• avout
        • Nov 2011

So I washed my Geller flight pants without reading that they're dry clean only

As you'd expect, they faded quite a bit. I took them in to be re-dyed and the shop told me they can't be re-dyed because of the elastic hems. Would really appreciate any suggestions for what I might try.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

combo of synthetic dye and natural dye should work, i dont see why not

Comment

• shuit
            • Apr 2012

Poopbong, I have the exact same pair and is having the same idea with you at first. I want it shinier since the gloss is unbalance (left is matte while right is glossy) But as times goes, the leather for some reason balance itself. I however use leather conditioner and cleanser every once in a while though.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Ok, I dutifully managed through half of this thread, so if it's been covered before, mea culpa. How do you wash white shirts with prints? None of my shirts are exactly white anymore, but they are precious. Someone recommended Oxyclean. Anything else?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

how in the hell am i supposed to clean this thing

it weighs like, ten pounds dry. i don't think I could lift it out of the bucket if it got wet.

Comment

• KingJulien
                  • Oct 2011

Washing machine, hot water, make sure to tumble dry it on high.

Is there a care tag? I guess I'd handwash it like any other knit and probably rig some sort of contraption to dry it on.

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

it suggests handwashing and blocking out. i'm trying to figure out that logistics of this. A bathtub? Maybe a minitature crane to lift it out, and a hammock to dry it on.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                      • Feb 2012

1 litre of water = 1 kg. & water absorption varies greatly depending on the material; what's it made from? even if it's cotton i can't imagine it weighing so much that you couldn't lift it out of the tub.

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

50/50 wool/acrylic
                        i was joking about weight, the real logistical issue is that I don't really have the space to block it out for seven days and seven nights while it dries. plus i'm kind of worried that it won't dry quickly enough - might attract new smells y'know?
                        the original owner suggested steam cleaning it. I was also considering the possibility of spot washing with a cloth. It's not really soiled, just needs to be cleaned before I stow it away for summer. if moths touched it i would probably kill myself.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                          • Feb 2012

ah, fair enough; sleep deprivation is really messing with my ability to read the internet...

Ann D.?

you could always just drape it over your shower curtain and reek for the week.

Comment

• KingJulien
                            • Oct 2011

I think wool actually dries pretty quickly compared to cotton, it probably won't take that long. If it's not dirty I'd just store it in a bag with some cedar though, personally.

Comment

• Raw
                              • Oct 2009

Is there a better way to clean chewing gum off the bottom of vibram soles than just water and scrubbing? I found hot water softens the gum a bit which helps but the little grooves in the vibram is still very difficult. Why the hell do people spit out chewing gum on the ground

Comment

• kuugaia
                                • Feb 2010

^ Try a stiff toothbrush, or something from the hardware store + a detergent. I wouldn't worry about the parts in the grooves so much though, not going to dirty anything.

I can understand the laziness in spitting chewing gum on the ground, but putting chewing gum under tables and chairs? :\

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎