Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

hahaha that was funny as hell. seems many of us are in the same boat.

i am at peace with our differing tastes. i never try to suggest anything to her anymore. its a waste of time.

but here is the issue that is harder for me. as a guy that shops 100% online, there are lots of times when i need a 2nd or 3rd opinion and i guarantee that 99% of the time, if i ask her what she thinks, she will hate it. no matter what it is. and if i tell her the price, then 100% of the time she will hate it.

we have had at least one genuine argument that was started over the merits of rick owens.

the icing on the cake here is that when i do buy the stuff and put it together and wear it, she can finally admit that it looks good.

well not all of it. rick trainers and drop crotch anything is strictly forbidden
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

Im lucky my girlfriend is totally on the same board as me in her ideas of clothes. She understands why things cost the price they do and what you are paying for when it comes to a designer and the product they produce.

she just wishes she could afford more of it: hence we are similar size 44 male 8-10 female (lucky for me she is 3 sizes smaller in shoes).
      But despite her loving MA+, label, cdiem she still will buy a balenciaga handbag which hey i don't mind nor care it must be a female status thing. These days she has 4-5 pairs of cdiem which she wears most of the time mixing it up with margiela, marni, yohji, dries, jil, some highstreet cos and muji. She takes the carol bits that don't fit me : its good for her but i aint wearing none of her dresses.

Before she met me she would wear all of the above known labels with ann sofie back, acne, and alexander wang even the odd bit of bless. She would oull these off in a really feminine but understated elegant way. Her closet stunned me from the YSL cage boots to mulberry bags to even the odd bit of hermes but it was never huge (far smaller than mine) yet mine is not even that big.

In many ways despite i love to see her in a linea dress and the pleates please skirts i bought her with cdiem clogs, along with sara lanzi etc, i feel its too much my style : if i was a girl this is what i would wear. I kinda got my way.... i pushed my style onto her and actually these days i prefer to see her in her old stuff.

Don't try and change your partner to much otherwise you will end up seeing too much of yourself in them. That doesn't mean i would be buying her an ma+ jacket for christmas though.

and bonus she does understand me and doesn't think what i pay is crazy ,..... she is buying me ccp for my birthday :)

Comment

• DmD
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by eton97 View Post

And got in trouble with her last night as i was on the phone to a certain store in the US till 1am discussing a pair of LUC paper j-pants.....DMD....i believe she wants to speak to you about the incident!
        Sorry to be an enabler, Eton.

I constantly lie about the cost of things anyway and she still gasps at my fake 50% prices

and thats why i never have a WAYWT pic....there is no way she will take a photo...she thinks I am strange enough discussing fashion on a forum
        Boy, can I relate to that.

This is all beginning to smack of a support group. Maybe the introductions should all begin with "Hi my name is... and I'm an fashion-holic.". Come to think of it, there has to already be a thread on this. Did I miss it?

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
          she really was being a fucking jerk too, said i got her something that was my style and not hers and therefore not thoughtful :/

I guess going to 6 stores to find it in a 34 was not thoughtful too. Oh well, return it and fund some ccp I guess.
          LMFAO!!

Sorry Kunk. Honestly, I only laugh because this seems to be an all to real commonality amongst many of us here.
          Last edited by DHC; 12-04-2010, 04:27 PM.
          Originally posted by Faust
          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• cuddly
            • Sep 2007

well atleast we all know we are not alone. we got a support group here at sz going through the same things. lol

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DmD View Post
              This is all beginning to smack of a support group. Maybe the introductions should all begin with "Hi my name is... and I'm an fashion-holic.". Come to think of it, there has to already be a thread on this. Did I miss it?
              I think you did. There was the enabler's thread in the past.
              Originally posted by Faust
              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

I think I'd rather have my girl in Ann and Balenciaga than Carpe and ma+

Comment

• kunk75
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

[I split all purchases between cash and amex so she never knows the costQUOTE=eton97;274980]100% the same experience.....my wife is also more conservative in her fashion...I bought her a stunning RO boiled wool jacket at L'ec last time we were there that she has worn once and always uses the excuse that its to0 hot to wear it etc etc...also took her to DSM and tried to talk her into a pair of PH shoes that were stunning, but she said she could buy 4 pairs for that price - we actually had an argument about it

And got in trouble with her last night as i was on the phone to a certain store in the US till 1am discussing a pair of LUC paper j-pants.....DMD....i believe she wants to speak to you about the incident!

I constantly lie about the cost of things anyway and she still gasps at my fake 50% prices

and thats why i never have a WAYWT pic....there is no way she will take a photo...she thinks I am strange enough discussing fashion on a forum

It funny that we get annoyed that they don't want an item even when we are willing to pay the $$ for it. I wish somebody wanted to spend their cash on me.

I wonder if we push our fashion tastes on our partner to make ourselves feel better about our purchases?

better go before i piss her off again, but she's watching 'strictly come dancing' so i have a good excuse[/QUOTE]

Comment

• kunk75
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

Haha, she said she wouldn't have bought j crew for me

QUOTE=sargon97;274978]^ I agree. My wife has a basically new MA+ pressed bag thats been worn like 2x. Every time I offer to sell it she says no and wears it once .

Oh well I guess it will be mine someday .

Lets see how this xmas gift goes, at least I got her a RO that she seemed to really like if it were not so, "overpriced".

I think with this sort of thing you have to be patient, offer to have her try on things, rather than push them.

Kunk its easy to get mad, esp when one puts such thought into things. I guess I try and think of it this way, I would not be happy being pushed into some item that could "color up" my wardrobe.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

I wonder if we push our fashion tastes on our partner to make ourselves feel better about our purchases?
                      Yes, indeed. You should see all the stuff I've bought her.
                      Christ, I'd be Snafu if I were single.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• neonrider
                        • Jan 2008

^lol, hilarious black comedy in this thread.

" My wife is much more conservative about fashion and has often rejected items that I would have loved to buy her. I learned long ago not to push my fashion tastes on her - and that it's a remarkably fine line between suggesting and pushing."

"I constantly lie about the cost of things anyway and she still gasps at my fake 50% prices"

"And got in trouble with her last night as i was on the phone to a certain store in the US till 1am discussing a pair of LUC paper j-pants"

i can relate. what's interesting to me is that she sees aggressive consumerism, but i often think her approach is more consumerist.

now, back to recent purchases (and their unintended consequences :)
                        ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DmD View Post
                          Interesting. I wonder what % on this site are in the same situation regarding their gf/bf/spouse? My wife is much more conservative about fashion and has often rejected items that I would have loved to buy her. I learned long ago not to push my fashion tastes on her - and that it's a remarkably fine line between suggesting and pushing.
                          so true
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

100% the same experience.....my wife is also more conservative in her fashion...I bought her a stunning RO boiled wool jacket at L'ec last time we were there that she has worn once and always uses the excuse that its to0 hot to wear it etc etc...also took her to DSM and tried to talk her into a pair of PH shoes that were stunning, but she said she could buy 4 pairs for that price - we actually had an argument about it

It funny that we get annoyed that they don't want an item even when we are willing to pay the $$ for it. I wish somebody wanted to spend their cash on me.

better go before i piss her off again, but she's watching 'strictly come dancing' so i have a good excuse
                            no, just want her to look fucking hot.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

God, guys I so enjoyed reading the last posts...it's hilarious...I think our style is so extreme that its hard to find a girl who can appreciate it...most good looking girls prefer the average shirt wearing guy who doesn't look to eccentric...ok gotta go and find a Rick girl now...
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• magic
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
                                its hard to find a girl who can appreciate it...most good looking girls prefer the average shirt wearing guy who doesn't look to eccentric
                                agree on this.
                                Focusing on object details

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎