X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Icarium
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
    The other side of this coin is this: how else are you going to feed 200 million people? How? You can’t.
    Awesome post. Shared the contents on the facebook. It puts a lot of things into perspective and illuminates with regards to recycling, pork industry, hunger issues, etc. Thanks!

Comment

• pseudonym
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
      If you think guidis are hard to fit (and they are, generally speaking) try matching up to a one-size-fits all 1-4 in Julius boots. Or navigating the extra length on a CCP boot or derby. Truth is, nobody should really buy expensive shoes online where you can't try them on but most of us do anyway because it's our only option.

And most of us have bought, sold, resold just to find the right fit where we can't try them on. Measurements only give you so much information and usually don't reflect he insole. In short, it's part of the game, highly frustrating at times and maddening. I've settled for wearing boots that were too long, too narrow or too wide in my quest, as I'm sure others have.

With this most recent purchase, it kind of felt like it was all justified. And that's a pretty good feeling. Let the quest commence on the next grail...a process I'm sure that will never end. I can live with that. As pseudo put it, sometimes it's about the thrill of the hunt.
      Funny thing about my shoe buying experiences is, this only happens with derbies. I feel like 1 size up and I am walking out of them, but one size down and my toes are cramped.

This is probably because my feet are so narrow, and with derbies its nearly impossible to make up this gap with an insole (unless its really thin, which doesn't make up any gapping issues). With boots, the ability to wear any thickness of insole, and tie the laces much tighter around the upper foot/ankle allows for sizing to be less precise and still attain a good fit, or at least in my case.

Re: Chart, its hard to generalize based on a brand, to Oasis's point. I currently have Guidi in sizes 42.5 - 44, and I currently have Augusta in 41 (7) - 43 (9). I would describe all of these as fitting comparable to each other, different models within the same brand fit differently each season (or same season). All of these measure between 11.8-12.1 outsole, but actually what I have found is the height of the instep and the width matter much more than length to the overall fit.

Re: Online shopping for footwear, I never do it unless I can return or if I have tried them on before. However, buying on SZ/SUFU has been OK for me, 9/10 times the measurements given by other members are accurate, and as mentioned, boots can easily adjust to my size if they are a bit big. Its just those pesky derbies...

Comment

• several_girls
        • Nov 2010

Here are some logical fallacies for you.

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        we need to be more compassionate to the plants too, not because the cannot speak or make sounds doesn't mean they don't feel pain, and want to live as much as we do.......so we might as well extend our compassion to all kinds of life and just go on and die of hunger........nothing wrong with that, just one more species (human beings) going extinct, on a planet that is becoming grossly overpopulated anyways.
        Plants don't have a central nervous system. Empirically and biologically speaking, they do not suffer. You are welcome to make a religious or spiritual argument that plants suffer, just understand that your opinion or viewpoint on the matter does not have evidence to support it. And because there is no need for evidence to make that argument another person can make the opposite argument and have just as much authority on the matter as you have.

And while we are at it let us punish all the other animals who eat other animals to survive, after all, A Lion that kills a rabbit for food, is only murdering his fellow life form........
        The difference between this scenario and vegs shopping at the grocery store is that many of us have a choice as to whether or not to eat meat.

Listen man, there is Learning and the is learning......there is so much crap that is believed by intelligent people that its often mind boggling to me. we don't need big professors in high places and dumb scientist to tell us how this wold works, all we need to do is simply observe and we will learn a lot more than these sophist will always try to persuade us to believe......
        I have a respect for professors and scientists. Although I agree that science as an institution has justified and facilitated awful things and has in the past chased erroneous ideas, I don't think you can just dismiss all their work and deem yourself the ultimate authority. I think that is unreasonable.

I have no problem with people making a personal choice to become vegetarians/ vegans, as this is their prerogative and I comment that because no harm is done in being vegetarians/ vegans, but the idea that there is some Moral/ ethical undertone, that should spur others to become so is ridiculous
        However the idea that we need to be vegans to end suffering of animals is pure nonsense..........
        This is a strawman argument. No one has said we need vegans to end animal suffering. Nor has anyone said ending all animal suffering is the ultimate goal. I am explaining that vegans are motivated by a desire to reduce suffering because they have the ability to choose.

the fact of the matter is that we all have a brain, a mind, and an awareness that plants are living things (beings) too and as such who are we to say one kind of life, because it posses a nervous system and a brain and can feel pain is necessarily more valuable and is to be preserved more than the life that ( as far as we assume) doesn't?
        This is a logical fallacy called "moving the goal post". You shifted from concerns of pain to a question of "what is valuable?" It is not that one being is more or less valuable than another, it is just that we know certain animals feel pain. I understand you reject science and the idea of a central nervous system as a basis for comparison; I've already shared my thoughts with you on that matter.

since the vegan holds the position of not (un)necessarily destroying lifeforms he out to then be compelled by this moral condition to not eat at all, to sacrifice himself for the sake of others.........
        You're also "moving the goal post" here. The vegan does not hold the position of avoiding destroying any lifeforms. The vegan holds the position that human beings can survive without inflicting undue pain or taking the life of other animals that can experience pain.

there are many ways to live a sustainable caring life, than becoming a vegan/ vegetarian...........
        You're making a different argument here, one about sustainability and not ethics. Remember I mentioned that vegans/vegetarians can be motivated by sustainability and/or ethics. They are interrelated but distinct.

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
        some argue that humans make a conscience choice to eat animals and thereby cause them pain and suffering.
        I ask these people if animals in the wild make this same choice when hunting their prey? Should they be vegans? How does this fit in with that whole natural selection thing?
        Zamb asked a similar question above. They don't make the same choice, no. Animals in the wild 1. do not have the cognitive capacity to make such a choice about their diet and 2. do not have the resources/technology to make such a choice. I see what your question is getting at.

I don't think anyone is saying "everyone should be vegan."

I think the thought process is, "I'm aware that other animals can experience pain/suffering as I do. I wouldn't wish this kind of treatment for myself. So although I cannot end all animal pain/suffering, I have the resources available live a healthy life while minimizing my own impact."

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

So sorry to derail this thread...

Yesterday I finally received from the tailor my Helmut Lang coated biker trousers. Unlike his dressier designs and the women's version of the biker design (a 42 fits me, a 48, like a glove), the cut of the men's is ridiculously roomy on the thighs and the hem (see OG photo for reference here).

I first took them to my tailor to taper them, but the thigh problem was actually magnified from the really slim bottoms. So we decided to completely change the shape of the legs, from the top to the bottom and from both the exterior and the interior side seams. The result is great, as the jeans fit me perfectly in the slim way I prefer, but while also being somewhat relaxed and not skinny.

Can't wait to wear this with my perforated shirt, dress jacket and crocodile belt (which I have not received yet but will definitely write about when i get it.)
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

You claim the difference between a lion eating another animal and a human eating another animal is that we have a choice.

Certainly this notion of "choice" is central to philosophy and I don't think that this can take this for granted.

That being said, even if we grant that we in fact due have a choice the normative claim that we ought to not eat animals does not follow. It is this normative aspect that is central ethical theories.

Either way, at the rate we are going in a couple generations vegan may be the only choice we have...

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Seriously, the animal/plant shit has to end...

Here's the sustainable whatever thread:

Otherwise, someone please start a "meat is murder" or "ima kick you in the veggies wit ma guidiz" thread.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                Seriously, the animal/plant shit has to end...

Here's the sustainable whatever thread:

Otherwise, someone please start a "meat is murder" or "ima kick you in the veggies wit ma guidiz" thread.
                At last. Thank you
                Last edited by eton97; 01-12-2012, 12:02 AM.
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

I don't know why this talk should end, it's more interesting than anything posted previously in this thread.
                  In addition, Rilu asked many times to have the posts moved to the right thread, but nobody dit it.

Comment

• eleven crows
                    • Mar 2011

christian, are you trying to say you don't want a brief checklist of my latest parcel from hide? don't worry, i won't overdo it by accompanying pictures, details or impressions.

to contribute to the current conversation: i don't eat veal, it disgusts me. i wear calf leather shoes. does this make me a hypocrite of some degree? i know that feel.

Comment

• eton97
                      • Dec 2008

Christian. You may be right. Some people may well find this a fascinating topic.

But when I click on a 'recent purchases' thread it's because I'm interested (at that specific point in time) in seeing recent purchases, not a 5 page debate on wether plants have feelings.
                      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by eleven crows View Post
                        i know that feel.

love veal though. tasty.

Comment

• RCJEN
                          • Dec 2010

Label Under Construction Recycled Knit Handmade Scarf
                          As warm as than I thought, and it's just look great when it surround at neck. Love it.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Very beautiful...looks like it's made from remnants of the sweater I'm wearing today.
                            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• it reminds me of what comes out the other end of a dog when it eats something you normally wear, only, intentional... I don't mean it in a bad way...

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                                it reminds me of what comes out the other end of a dog when it eats something you normally wear, only, intentional... I don't mean it in a bad way...
                                lulz. i learned this lesson when I bought the dog a bone made from rope.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎