X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nqth
    • Sep 2006

Re: Your recent purchases

Faust, be sure to checkthe Concentrée version which is more intense.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="nqth"]Faust, be sure to checkthe Concentrée version which is more intense.[/quote]

All right [Y]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

Yes - agree with nqth get the concentree version. It is the most incredible burnt orange smell stright out of the bottle!

Got the jacket from lazzarri, other CCPs from Leclaireur. The jacket I got is the grey/green one from this summer, so the stitching is tonal not contrasting. It's a beautiful thing, although i can hardly breathe when i have it fully zipped up!

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

Yes - agree with nqth get the concentree version. It is the most incredible burnt orange smell stright out of the bottle!

Got the jacket from lazzarri, other CCPs from Leclaireur. The jacket I got is the grey/green one from this summer, so the stitching is tonal not contrasting. It's a beautiful thing, although i can hardly breathe when i have it fully zipped up!

[/quote]

Don't wear it out to dinner, then :-). That's cool, I'm glad you got it. I really like the net lining, nice touch.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

BTW, what's Lazzarri's link? I can't find it. [*-)]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jorge Hache
              • Sep 2006

http://www.lazzariweb.it/shop/

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="gutpocho"]

http://www.lazzariweb.it/shop/

[/quote]

thanks!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Speaking of books, I need to buy some Benjamin translations. I almost pulled the trigger on a few volumes from the Harvard Selected Writings series, but then I read an Amazon review that said the translation is inaccurate, so I got scared. Any recommendations? I hate buying translations...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Speaking of books, I need to buy some Benjamin translations. I almost pulled the trigger on a few volumes from the Harvard Selected Writings series, but then I read an Amazon review that said the translation is inaccurate, so I got scared. Any recommendations? I hate buying translations...
                    [/quote]

Anytime there is translation, there will inevitably be someone whining about inaccuracy. [|-)] It's especially idiotic in the case of WB, because his concepts are so cryptic and elliptical in the first place. Those translations are absolutely fine, they have been compiled by (and are used by) the best scholars and editors out there.

I wonder if this critical person has read Benjamin's essay on translation...[^o)]

Anyway, if you are a first timer, I would start with Reflections and Illuminations rather than the collected writings. Also, Susan Buck-Morss' Dialectics of Seeing is a fantastically helpful secondary source. [51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks, laika. Some inaccuracies are granted, of course - but what made me frown is that the reviewer claimed that in one places the translation stated the opposite of what Benjamin actually said in the German text.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jj.still
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

some recent stuff

CCP overlock leather jacket

CCP slightly twisted trousers in light grey ramie

CCP reversible ramie long sleeved tee with taped seems (the one from A's website, but the other way around)

Navy suaede Lanvin trainers with navy leather patent toe

Navy Kilgour suit

Black Grenson oxford shoes

Bright yellow silk scarft from Cambodian artgallery in the Rue de Seine

Editions Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentrate from the Dries store in Paris

Books: Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee, Bit of a Blur by Alex James, OnChesil Beach by Ian McEwan

Disgusting really, although it has been over a few months.......

[/quote]

Editions Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentrate - [Y] one of my favs

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

Nice haul Johnny. I'm curious about those twisted trousers in light grey, they sound great.
                          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Thanks, laika. Some inaccuracies are granted, of course - but what made me frown is that the reviewer claimed that in one places the translation stated the opposite of what Benjamin actually said in the German text.
                            [/quote]

I would love to know what "denti alligator's" credentials for making such claims are. Why on earth would you trust an amazon reviewer? [*-)]

It is entirely possible that he misread the German. Reading (and translating) Benjamin demands a great deal of careful interpretation and there is naturally a lot of controversy about what exactly he *means" when he says things like "While content and language form a certain unity in the original, like a fruit and its skin, the language of the translation envelops its content like a royal robe with ample folds." [H]

It's also possible (although less likely) that there are indeed mistakes in the book. But I promise, if you read "The Task of the Translator," you will find other, more important things to be concerned about. [G]

Sorry for the little rant, but people who make sweeping criticisms after spending "a few hours" with a book and do not accompany these criticisms with any sort of evidence....these people suck. [58]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

BTW, Faust, in my ranting I neglected to mention the most practical reason for reading that translation. It's the only one. [61]

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]BTW, Faust, in my ranting I neglected to mention the most practical reason for reading that translation. It's the only one. [61]
                                [/quote]

Hahaha, all right all right. [51]

I just bought two books.

Michael Foucault - Power (for me)

Azar Nafisi - Reading Lolita in Tehran (for Mrs. Faust, cause she's reading Lolita in New York)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎