Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

with a little luck this jacket has become mine.

and its a pretty unique piece with a retail price tag to match, so i've decided to offer a little review.

firstly, this jkt may be in the same pricing realm as a ccp leather, but it is not a ccp leather. not at all. but the good news is it is not trying to be. and this is mainly evident in the leather itself. i am not knowledgeable enough to explain this in detail, but even though they both undergo a unique tanning and object dyeing process, the processes and results are very different. at first reaction the ccp leather seems nicer in my opinion, but thats probably because it just seems more "finished".

the BBS leather has a stiffness i have not experienced before. it seems more like a raw hide or a skin than a finished leather for use in clothing. it is very obvious that you are wearing an animal skin. and with the thickness of the horse leather it has the most "armor" like feel of anything i've ever worn. also, some object dyed leathers, like ccp, have a deep dark rich inky blackness. this jacket is just barely dyed. it is matte and there is slight variation in texture throughout the jacket and all the imperfections and markings of the original skin are easily seen. it is raw and rough and noisy like something you'd imagine out of some primitive hunter gatherer society or something lol.

that arm bulge that is so prevalent is there for a reason. without it you could not bend your arm. because not only is it stiff, it is very form fitting. because of the "body molding" i feel like it is supposed to fit you like it was molded on your body specifically. and over time, with a lot of wear, i think it will. it feels like it is going to give in and loosen up a bit. but the down side is that for now this jacket is shrinkwrap tight and stiff as hell. and i think most of the store photos i've seen reflect this. it is worn tight. if i had sized up i think it wouldn't look right. it would look body molded on a body bigger than mine. but for now it is a bit restricting in the shoulders and arms.

i'd like to hear what some of you think of the fit of the jacket on me, from the waywt and the 2 photos above...

curiously, the collar is kind of a non-issue. when zipped up all the way it looks a bit oversized, but unzipped it looks pretty normal to me. and i'll never wear this zipped up.

well thats my report. it is a very very nice jacket. is it worth full retail? i kind of think so. its tough and built to last, utterly unique, and likely to evolve with you into something very special. but it is not a ccp leather. if thats what you are looking for, you will be disappointed.
    Last edited by cjbreed; 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Sick C!

The jacket looks pretty damn awesome to me and the review adds some details for those of us that have never handled it in person.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• justinhere
        • Jan 2014

Nice buy,but let me tell you a little story about bbs in this year,BBS's leather jacket from 2012 is half made in China,maybe you can just call it almost done in China,so even it looks good ,i will not pay for the retail price for the bbs,cause it doesn't worth that,it become a luxury brand,just want the money,espicaily this year they place and add a lot of orders in China.It really don't deserve for it's retail price,like you know the line is easy too break,like it's pants. But anyway,if you like it,it will be a good buy.
        Originally posted by cjbreed View Post

DO NOT REPOST IMAGES ON THE SAME PAGE

and its a pretty unique piece with a retail price tag to match, so i've decided to offer a little review.

firstly, this jkt may be in the same pricing realm as a ccp leather, but it is not a ccp leather. not at all. but the good news is it is not trying to be. and this is mainly evident in the leather itself. i am not knowledgeable enough to explain this in detail, but even though they both undergo a unique tanning and object dyeing process, the processes and results are very different. at first reaction the ccp leather seems nicer in my opinion, but thats probably because it just seems more "finished".

the BBS leather has a stiffness i have not experienced before. it seems more like a raw hide or a skin than a finished leather for use in clothing. it is very obvious that you are wearing an animal skin. and with the thickness of the horse leather it has the most "armor" like feel of anything i've ever worn. also, some object dyed leathers, like ccp, have a deep dark rich inky blackness. this jacket is just barely dyed. it is matte and there is slight variation in texture throughout the jacket and all the imperfections and markings of the original skin are easily seen. it is raw and rough and noisy like something you'd imagine out of some primitive hunter gatherer society or something lol.

that arm bulge that is so prevalent is there for a reason. without it you could not bend your arm. because not only is it stiff, it is very form fitting. because of the "body molding" i feel like it is supposed to fit you like it was molded on your body specifically. and over time, with a lot of wear, i think it will. it feels like it is going to give in and loosen up a bit. but the down side is that for now this jacket is shrinkwrap tight and stiff as hell. and i think most of the store photos i've seen reflect this. it is worn tight. if i had sized up i think it wouldn't look right. it would look body molded on a body bigger than mine. but for now it is a bit restricting in the shoulders and arms.

i'd like to hear what some of you think of the fit of the jacket on me, from the waywt and the 2 photos above...

curiously, the collar is kind of a non-issue. when zipped up all the way it looks a bit oversized, but unzipped it looks pretty normal to me. and i'll never wear this zipped up.

well thats my report. is it worth full retail? not for me, but for the ballers among us i kind of think so. its tough and built to last, utterly unique, and likely to evolve with you into something very cool. but it is not a ccp leather. if thats what you are looking for, you will be disappointed.

Comment

• dunglan7
          • Sep 2010

^ Any proof that bbs is half made in China? If so then they sure as hell shouldn't be charging the prices they currently are.

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by justinhere View Post
            Nice buy,but let me tell you a little story about bbs in this year,BBS's leather jacket from 2012 is half made in China,maybe you can just call it almost done in China,so even it looks good ,i will not pay for the retail price for the bbs,cause it doesn't worth that,it become a luxury brand,just want the money,espicaily this year they place and add a lot of orders in China.It really don't deserve for it's retail price,like you know the line is easy too break,like it's pants. But anyway,if you like it,it will be a good buy.
            well....i'm not the authority on BBS but i own a few pieces and i have had the opposite experience. i find the quality to be excellent across the board. i have heard of the occasional busted seam on a pair of pants but to be fair they fit very tight across the knee and i can understand why it happens. and i have heard of some less than stellar leathers being used. but if this jacket was made in china i'll slather it in butter and eat the fucking thing. there's just no way. its handmade in spain without question, just like everything else from boris as far as i am aware...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by justinhere View Post
              You are full of shit. Stop spreading unfounded rumors or I will throw you out of here.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Wolfmechanic
                • Jul 2013

I just bought my first pieces a couple weeks ago! I was super stoked to get finally have a few of my favorite designers!

1. Ann D Tank in Ivory
                (Not sure the collection..I love the softness of it and the length is pretty awesome too)

2. MA Julius FW 13/14 Oversize Long Sleeve boatneck in Black
                (A little wider than expected but the sleeves are great +Cashmere blend)

3. Dries Van Noten Oversize Merino wool sweater in Evergreen.
                (Not sure the collection)

4. Silent Damir Doma Tee FW 13/14
                (It's in the mail right now..)

Any advice on care and washing would be welcome! I haven't decided whether to baby these or just wear the hell out of them.

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                  Ah good, now that you've gone back over to the darkside, you can give me all your PH!

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Too bad he's an XL so it's all going to me
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• en0rm
                      • May 2010

cjbreed good review ...it would be nice if people take their time and write a few impressions about special pieces they have purchased like this one
                      I have had the chance to see (not try on) this leather and it defiantly is something special...it has a certain feel to it, as if it had spent some time in the cooling ponds of chernobyl.
                      from what i can see it fits you perfectly, thats the way this leather should fit in my opinion ... as you mentioned a bigger size wouldn't look right. The stiffness is from the tanning process and the restrictiveness will get less after some breaking in i should think. Collar looks fine to me.
                      enjoy it...great piece

edit: Welcome back to the darkside :D

Comment

• chandler
                        • Jan 2011

not sure if this qualifies as a "rumor" because i imagine it's on the garment tag but I was told some of RO's leather jackets this Spring have leathers from Iraq. Personally, this doesn't bother me and I actually think it's kind of cool. I don't get caught up in the origin too much because so many games were being played anyway, e.g., "Made in Italy" but by chinese garment workers on contract, or mostly made elsewhere and just the last phase of manufacture was handled in Italy. (And it's not unique to clothing; olive oil has the same issue ) At the end of the day, you have to judge the quality of materials and workmanship for yourself. For example, I love ma+ but their wool coats and linen blazers intentionally have unfinished hems which cause the hem (and garment) to somewhat disintegrate with wear/time. I love that and it's clearly intended in the design, but others could judge that as poor quality. Who's right? High quality goods can be made in China (or sourced from Iraq) and poor quality may come from Italy

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

You really want to have this discussion? And in Recent Purchases?

I'd rather you post some olive oil and be on your way.

Originally posted by chandler View Post
                          not sure if this qualifies as a "rumor" because i imagine it's on the garment tag but I was told some of RO's leather jackets this Spring have leathers from Iraq. Personally, this doesn't bother me and I actually think it's kind of cool. I don't get caught up in the origin too much because so many games were being played anyway, e.g., "Made in Italy" but by chinese garment workers on contract, or mostly made elsewhere and just the last phase of manufacture was handled in Italy. (And it's not unique to clothing; olive oil has the same issue ) At the end of the day, you have to judge the quality of materials and workmanship for yourself. For example, I love ma+ but their wool coats and linen blazers intentionally have unfinished hems which cause the hem (and garment) to somewhat disintegrate with wear/time. I love that and it's clearly intended in the design, but others could judge that as poor quality. Who's right? High quality goods can be made in China (or sourced from Iraq) and poor quality may come from Italy
                          sain't

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                            Sick C!

The jacket looks pretty damn awesome to me ...
                            Originally posted by en0rm View Post
                            cjbreed ...
                            from what i can see it fits you perfectly, thats the way this leather should fit in my opinion ... as you mentioned a bigger size wouldn't look right. The stiffness is from the tanning process and the restrictiveness will get less after some breaking in i should think. Collar looks fine to me.
                            enjoy it...great piece

edit: Welcome back to the darkside :D
                            thank you for the input guys. i think i'm in agreement with you en0rm. it looks how it is supposed to and will definitely soften up.

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                            Ah good, now that you've gone back over to the darkside, you can give me all your PH!
                            well not so fast now....

the secret to any good relationship is an occasional affair. you know, a little something on the side now and then. keeps the itches nice and scratched...

by the way,
                            don't i spy with my little eye
                            mike nouveau sitting in the front row?

edit - its just a joke honey. i didn't mean it...love you!!

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

not as exciting as the BBS leather but thanks to Gallery Aesthete (via Farfetch) for the InAisce stacked hat.

Comment

• t-bone
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                                Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                                Too bad he's an XL so it's all going to me
                                Ahem, I'm now leaning more towards the XL myself, lemme get on that list...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎