X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I am not saying their quality is terrible for everything. Like, I said - I think it's good for basic stuff, like jeans and tshirts (I have a couple of pairs of jeans, and people have their tees). But the discussion started off with a designer collab coat.

Laika, I thought we are here to discuss sartorial excellence, not sartorial mediocrity. And I get the eye-roll treatment!
    All of these opinions have been voiced in the +J thread--and elsewhere-- ad nauseam, so what was the point of re-stating them here so rudely? After she bought the thing? Why can't we stop with the trite and boring and oh-so-superior generalizations?
    and mikenouveau are you actually suggesting that Mona is a label whore?

***dbc, that's so nice to hear about the shorts. yay!
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
      Wrong thread, bring them over to WAYWT right now!
      Originally posted by cuddly View Post
      like what he said ^^
      Look at the background, does it really look like my place ?
      They'll be here in 3 days.
      More RO purchases to come.

I won't stop untill Pip comes back !

Comment

• merkuri
        • Sep 2009

she was undoubtedly label whoring when she said she likes and owns several h&m pieces, without an ounce of shame or apology.

Originally posted by laika View Post
        All of these opinions have been voiced in the +J thread--and elsewhere-- ad nauseam, so what was the point of re-stating them here so rudely? After she bought the thing? Why can't we stop with the trite and boring and oh-so-superior generalizations?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

They are not trite and boring - they open up room for discussion. It's not the first time we revisit a topic. Yes, I have a problem with "fast fashion," with consumers using stores like H&M and Uniqlo as closet carousels. I don't see what is so superior about this. I am not implying that Mona is that kind of a person, but many people are.

Anyway, since when saying "shit quality" has become rude? Isn't that Johnny's trademark phrase?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• marco-von
            • Feb 2009

yeh but johnny is english (i don't mean rowan atkinson), its in his nature to feel superior.

Comment

• DRRRK
              • Aug 2009

"Fast fashion" is the correct term for what I am complaining about most of the time. Instead of buying one thing which you sincerely love a lot of people buy a number of clothes which are replicated from the current designer shows or streetstyle blogs and will be forgotten about half a year later. There is nothing wrong with buying a few basics at H&M, Uniqlo or (in Germany) COS. I find it thrilling when these basics are mixed with expensive designer clothes. This mixture demands way more own style and creativity than wearing only one designer.

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                DBC and Servo, these one-off examples are fine and dandy, but I highly doubt that they reflect what happens en masse.
                Could be true amongst people who can also afford expensive designer garments so eventually the uniqo x whoever ones get faded out in favor of more pricey pieces. But what about for people - most people, probably - for whom dropping $160 on a Uniqlo collaboration is a significant and major seasonal purchase? They're people who probably have some knowledge of the mainline if they're willing to go through the hassle to even buy the uniqlo collaboration pieces. I don't think these people are any more interested in just buying the label for the sake of a label especially if it's a significant investment especially if it has to last you through a whole season / until you can afford to drop another $200 on a piece of clothing. Sure, fast fashion has 'issues' but I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with giving students and others on limited incomes a chance to occasionally indulge in something that for them might very well be more interesting, better designed, and probably of better quality than what they might get at the same cost elsewhere.
                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                  Could be true amongst people who can also afford expensive designer garments so eventually the uniqo x whoever ones get faded out in favor of more pricey pieces. But what about for people - most people, probably - for whom dropping $160 on a Uniqlo collaboration is a significant and major seasonal purchase? They're people who probably have some knowledge of the mainline if they're willing to go through the hassle to even buy the uniqlo collaboration pieces. I don't think these people are any more interested in just buying the label for the sake of a label especially if it's a significant investment especially if it has to last you through a whole season / until you can afford to drop another $200 on a piece of clothing. Sure, fast fashion has 'issues' but I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with giving students and others on limited incomes a chance to occasionally indulge in something that for them might very well be more interesting, better designed, and probably of better quality than what they might get at the same cost elsewhere.
                  Absolutely. At its best, this is the purpose of such stores, to give the masses affordable style. I am all for this. Only, this is not even an ostensible purpose of stores like that. In reality, many people use these stores as an excuse to buy things and then throw them out to buy more things. They drive trends the way no other stores do (Forever 21 is even more of an offender here). People buy stuff there and forget about it, don't even take off the tags and then throw them out. I am sure many people no people like that. Try throwing out a thousand dollar coat. In some perverse way high prices force you to pay more attention to the garment, to value it*. And if all of us would value things that surround us, this world would be a much better place.

*Yes, I realize there are people who can afford to do what fast fashion consumers do, but they are few and far between.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

I'm pretty much on the same line, I think the main concern here is the distinction between individual purchases and mindless mass consumption. I doubt anyone on SZ, including Mona, would be quilty of the latter.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                      Ok, let's me strike a blow.

Awesome, knew it would happen. I am in Paris in 2 weeks, let's meet and take pictures in our elephantbootz and skorts and look silly.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

I dunno, Faust, I find your logic too academic....a bit too pirsigian, if you will...

There will always be people who can't afford to spend 3-400, let alone
                        1000 on a winter coat. Where would you have them go? What's an aesthetically conscious student or mother of 4--i met one of the latter shopping the +j collection--supposed to do?
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by marco-von View Post
                          yeh but johnny is english (i don't mean rowan atkinson), its in his nature to feel superior.
                          i'm scottish actually :)

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                            Awesome, knew it would happen. I am in Paris in 2 weeks, let's meet and take pictures in our elephantbootz and skorts and look silly.
                            All right !

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I dunno, Faust, I find your logic too academic....a bit too pirsigian, if you will...

There will always be people who can't afford to spend 3-400, let alone
                              1000 on a winter coat. Where would you have them go? What's an aesthetically conscious student or mother of 4--i met one of the latter shopping the +j collection--supposed to do?
                              no need to show me your tongue, lady! As I said, at its best, that is the purpose of those stores. But I highly doubt that's how most people shop. What is so academic about my logic?

Nothing wrong with pirsig. If everyone thought like him, this world would be a better place.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dontbecruel View Post
                                Anyone prepared to spend £200 on a shirt is already thoroughly drunk on the ephemeral side of life.
                                fantastic. i would use it as my "sig" if "sig-ing" wasn't so wanky.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎