Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

tylerpatrickbrand well, i think it's also a matter of perspective. i've come to accept the rather provocative nature of avant-garde clothing, both intrinsic and compared to other styles of clothing more common in the culture i'm in. canada is still a haven for me, though, because in spite of it being somewhat judgemental, especially in rural places (red deer, surrey, and the like especially), i find it to be generally more accepting than, say, alabama, or even a place like sri lanka, where i often got really weird looks and comments.

i'm in ottawa, and attract some looks, but haven't ever really been called anything, though that may be because i don't often go all out when im just around town.

i get a fair few compliments and questions as well, as i know a lot of people on here do, as well, and i think those don't really get brought to the fore like the derision does.

i do agree that canada has a reputation as more accepting than it really is. nothing less accepting than a suburban hockey teenager

Comment

• tylerpatrickbrand
      • Sep 2015

Gregor, I feel you on that totally. It's almost come to be expected. Place yourself away from the pack, aesthetically, and it is fairly obvious. People will say what they want. Can't stop that.

My girlfriend was from Ottawa and I found it very hard to shop for things I enjoyed there. Are there any shops there you dig, or do you mostly shop online then? Of course NRML is there for streetwear and sneaker shit but otherwise I felt very bored shopping in that city.

Comment

• gregor
        • Oct 2014

there's actually a store here bringing in drkshdw, a lot of it, actually. it's just down elgin right above el camino, if you've ever been there.

there's really nothing here, though, i only shop online, and try my best to stay away from nrml whenever possible

do let me know if you're ever in town, though, there is a small community for likeminded people here, even if there isn't really any infrastructure for it.

Comment

• gregor
          • Oct 2014

also, figure i'll throw this in while i'm here; had a great conversation the other day with a super conservative girl about fashion, where i somehow worked in the sentence "ccp is a hell of a drug" and was berated for a good ten minutes about how drugs are bad and addiction is a serious issue.

needless to say, i got a good laugh.

Comment

• Lex1017
            • Jul 2015

I keep to myself in class and usually sit at the front because I am actually trying to learn. I was approached the first day and told my sock sneakers were "dope" to which I was caught off guard and responded with a quick thank you... 3 classes later, the same student approached me and said the same thing about the same pair of shoes. Could he have forgot?
            Or would he think I would be impressed that he knew what I was wearing? Although I love clothes, I am an appreciator from a far. I get no pleasure in making sure people know I "know about shit". To that end, I don't "know about shit". I am constantly learning. Do other people get this?

Comment

• SafetyKat
              • Aug 2014

Maybe he thinks you're in a cult. Next time he approaches you, be sure to offer him a copy of your manifesto.

Got the classic "queer sneer" at a bar over the weekend. always fun. For some reason I get bashed for wearing "queer shit" by women, rarely guys. Maybe this is a Scranton thing?

Comment

• Yuriii
                • Dec 2012

I went to Middle Branch for drinks with a friend and after 3 cocktails we started walking around midtown NYC. I was wearing CCP tornadoes and saw another guy wearing tornadoes. I went up to him, turned my shoe over and said "ha! I bet you didn't think you'd run into someone with the same pair of boots!"

I guess I was the stranger with the strange reaction in this case.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

What did he say?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gregor
                    • Oct 2014

i hope said stranger is on this site...

Comment

• Vervain
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by SafetyKat View Post
                      Maybe he thinks you're in a cult. Next time he approaches you, be sure to offer him a copy of your manifesto.

Got the classic "queer sneer" at a bar over the weekend. always fun. For some reason I get bashed for wearing "queer shit" by women, rarely guys. Maybe this is a Scranton thing?
                      Wow I wasn't sure Scranton actually existed in real life and not only in The Office. I feel stupid for having to google it haha.

Comment

• LOVE
                        • Dec 2007

lmao does this count? received as a PM here

Originally posted by Jbravo
                        My post count does not allow me to address you in the WAYWT thread, hence this PM. You're really an insecure little bitch that takes herself so fucking seriously. And that fit of yours was nothing but mediocre. And talking about contributions: if you actually think that those ugly fit pics that you post here equal to a valid contribution, you gotta be seriously ill. You really need to get a fucking life, twat!
                        what happened to this person in their childhood lol

Comment

• neongud
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by LOVE View Post
                          lmao does this count? received as a PM here

what happened to this person in their childhood lol
                          What the fuck is going on? It's like some sort of critical mass of hate for women right there.

Comment

• Law
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by neongud View Post
                            What the fuck is going on? It's like some sort of critical mass of hate for women right there.
                            Yes, especially since he's a dude

Comment

• neongud
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Law View Post
                              Yes, especially since he's a dude
                              Oh man, sorry, I confused the user name with someone else.

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

I think it's even more insulting to women BECAUSE it's directed at a dude. I'm far from being a full fledged feminist, but I really hate it when men insult other men with feminine pronouns, as if it made the insult worse somehow. I think I hate it so much because it's a mostly sports / jock / military thing, and I hate that whole mentality with a burning passion

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎