Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hysterichostile
    • Dec 2009

Wore these marsells for about 10 times now, and today i realized this tear along the inside of the right shoe

Not to sound stupid, i assume this is fairly extensive damage, but they are Marsells after all, seriously? They break apart like this easily?

Is this 'fatal'.. Anything i can do to save these boots?

Thanks for any help!

Comment

• liberty_of_style
      • Aug 2011

Glue, hand stitch and...hope
      I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things...

Comment

• coro
        • Dec 2008

Why dont you write an email directly to Marsells? or contact the store where you bought them

Comment

• hurhur
          • Jan 2011

my RO combats had the same problem. leather ripped from the sole. took it to a cobbler and what he did was to stitch the torn area to another piece of leather which he then stitched to the sole. quite well done imo.

Comment

• beardown
            rekoner
            • Feb 2009

A) It definitely shouldn't happen. I would write to the company.

B) Even if they are unsympathetic, it's an easy enough fix by any skilled cobbler. By no means are they 'ruined.' They just need repaired if Marsell won't replace them.
            Originally posted by mizzar
            Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• shuit
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by hurhur View Post
              my RO combats had the same problem. leather ripped from the sole. took it to a cobbler and what he did was to stitch the torn area to another piece of leather which he then stitched to the sole. quite well done imo.
              RO combats are so well known for that.. A friend of mine do have the exact problem and have to stitch it from the side which leave the scar on the leather. I wonder why it is not as strong as it should be.. It is a combat boot for crying out loud.

Comment

• KM80
                • Mar 2008

Yeah but it's a fashion combat boot, you're not going to be fighting any wars with this one. Mine now have so many stitches they look like Frankenstein.

Comment

• shuit
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by KM80 View Post
                  Yeah but it's a fashion combat boot, you're not going to be fighting any wars with this one. Mine now have so many stitches they look like Frankenstein.
                  I was thinking of same thing too, until my friend told me that he only wore them indoor, less than 15 times. No extreme movement or whatsoever, just regular walking. And the next thing he knew is the stitch around the sole is loose and torn.

Comment

• Avantster
                    ¤¤¤
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ares View Post

6) Seasonal maintenance
                    Big maintenance comes once a season. Do this even if you did not wear them at all the previous season - they need to be moisturized or they will dry out and crack.
                    First wipe the shoes/boots with a damp cloth.
                    Then use an in-depth leather cleaning product. I strongly recommend Saphir Reno'Mat for normal leather or a saddle soap for oily leathers. Use it to strip all the layers of wax, cream or settled dirt accumulated over the season. You can use it to periodically clean your brushes as well.
                    Then use any good leather renovating cream or lotion (I recommend Saphir Renovateur). Apply it in a generous amount with a chamois cloth. Leave it to dry and after 30 min polish with a soft brush. You need to use a separate renovator for greased leather (with more than 15% oil content), as well as for reptile and delicate leather. Never brush reptile and delicate leather too hard. Be very gentle.
                    Use a special cleaner for suede and nubuck leather. Let it dry for a day and then treat it with a waterproofing/recolouring spray. Let it dry for an hour and use a special brush afterwards if you need to get rid of the “shine”.

[...]

8) Exposition
                    Never leave them under direct sunlight or near any source of heat. The UV light and the heat is going to destroy the leather.
                    For rainy days use a special product made for waterproofing. Do not use it too often as it will clog the pores of the leather. If that happens use a in-depth leather cleaner. If the shoes get wet, wipe them with a clean cloth, put the shoe trees inside and fill the rest with newspaper. Do not be tempted to artificially dry them. Absolutely avoid rain if the shoes have a painted finish or very delicate leather and soles (there is a saying in Paris - "bad time to leave in a Berluti").
                    This is good advice for shoe care in general. Properly dealing with exposure to rain/water can make a substantial difference to the longevity of your shoes.

Even if you dislike the aesthetics or connotations of mirror polished shoes, doing a seasonal/yearly maintenance is a good idea - cleaning the leather, the welt and moisturizing the leather if need be. Saphir Renovateur is an excellent leather conditioner and I use it on my Carpe boots.
                    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• shuit
                      • Apr 2012

My cobbler did a pretty nice job fixing the used sole on the trainers.

The new rubbers sole are weaker than I thought..
                      Last edited by shuit; 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM. Reason: resize.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                        This is good advice for shoe care in general. Properly dealing with exposure to rain/water can make a substantial difference to the longevity of your shoes.

Even if you dislike the aesthetics or connotations of mirror polished shoes, doing a seasonal/yearly maintenance is a good idea - cleaning the leather, the welt and moisturizing the leather if need be. Saphir Renovateur is an excellent leather conditioner and I use it on my Carpe boots.
                        Exactly ; Ares certainly knows his stuff. And some basic maintenance is probably a good thing when it comes to designer work/combat boots, which are not exactly as sturdy as their models despite the way they look. For what I have seen, Guidis or MA+ treated according to the "beat them up and never care" recipe are very likely to end up looking like crap more than anything. Using shoehorns and even shoetrees is not such a bad idea, especially in the case of shoes/boots devoid of any reinforcement in the rear part, otherwise it may completely lose its shape and be crushed against the heel.
                        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• bestial
                          • Jun 2008

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Is there any way to dye rubber soles black or will it just rub off or not stick? Thinking of dying a pair of Augusta sneakers (first iteration with white soles).

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by hysterichostile View Post

Not to sound stupid, i assume this is fairly extensive damage, but they are Marsells after all, seriously? They break apart like this easily?

Is this 'fatal'.. Anything i can do to save these boots?
                            It looks like the upper is glued onto the sole, not stitched. Which means this is something that can happen quite easily, and be fixed quite easily.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• beardown
                              rekoner
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bestial View Post
                              Sorry if this has already been asked.

Is there any way to dye rubber soles black or will it just rub off or not stick? Thinking of dying a pair of Augusta sneakers (first iteration with white soles).
                              I'm going to be honest here and say that it's probably a bad idea. 'Dyeing' rubber would involve a chemical process that would change the properties of the rubber and make it less able to flex and probably cause it to dry.

I looked into rubber dyeing before and there's only one real manufacturer that I could find that claims to be able to do it but I've never read reviews. Dyeing rubber is pretty common in the auto industry but these are rubbers more like hard trim that aren't flexed. And most of the products sold have really bad/mixed reviews.

Here is a link to the only rubber dye I could find and it's expensive.

Having said that, you could try to 'paint' the sides of the sole using one of these suggestions.

Tire paint is an option but you need to chemically treat the surface prior to painting. You can check that out here in the questions section.

I think the nature of those sneakers would lend itself to having some of it rubbed off, kind of like the Augustas that were designed to peel. A good flat exterior latex would (as mentioned in the article) flex enough to where it wouldn't crack but it would definitely rub off if it was scraped hard enough.

But as far as a straight up dye job on rubber, again, I believe the properties of rubber chemically don't lend themselves to the dyeing process very well and you'd end up with more trouble/cost than it would be worth.
                              Originally posted by mizzar
                              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• bestial
                                • Jun 2008

Thanks for the answer!

And yeah, I was 98% sure it wouldn't be that easy, as rubber probably (always?) is colored while it's in liquid form, hence the only way to actually doing it after its molded would be to paint it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎