X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newp
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
    best bet is probably to add a full length thin rubber. I would do it fast before it breaks any further.
    Thank you! Indeed I won't wear it any further.

I wonder if there are some soft rubber soles on the market for that purpose... adding a vibram sole on sneakers would be rather awkward.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

the thin ones (2-5mm) are pretty flexible, and a cobbler should be able to cut it neatly to match the original sole shape. if you want something even softer, I imagine it'd have to be pretty thick or otherwise it would wear very quickly.

brands like Topy and probably most other big names have either full soles or sheets that can be cut to shape, these come in several thicknesses with the thinnest ones around 2mm. these resemble the thickness of the piece that is usually put on the front of the sole.

from my experience 2mm will wear quite fast in the heel, so I would go with something like 4-5mm. it wont really be noticeable from the top or side if its black and cut neatly to shape.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• newp
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        the thin ones (2-5mm) are pretty flexible, and a cobbler should be able to cut it neatly to match the original sole shape. if you want something even softer, I imagine it'd have to be pretty thick or otherwise it would wear very quickly.

brands like Topy and probably most other big names have either full soles or sheets that can be cut to shape, these come in several thicknesses with the thinnest ones around 2mm. these resemble the thickness of the piece that is usually put on the front of the sole.

from my experience 2mm will wear quite fast in the heel, so I would go with something like 4-5mm. it wont really be noticeable from the top or side if its black and cut neatly to shape.
        Thanks again. I will check the local market/cobblers for 4-5 mm soles.

Comment

• drizzly
          Banned
          • Apr 2012

kinda want to moisturize my cordovan ccp, would using saphir renovator on them be bad?

Comment

• eleven crows
            • Mar 2011

They will literally burst into flames.

Comment

• drizzly
              Banned
              • Apr 2012

what a useless comment, why cant someone just answer the question without a sarcastic remark

Comment

• BBSCCP
                • Feb 2010

Saphire is fine. Just don't polish

Comment

• eleven crows
                  • Mar 2011

Well, it was a fairly stupid question. Renovateur is not recommended as it contains turpentine. There's a specific cordovan cream if you really want to use it.

Believe it or not, questions like this produce faithful results via google.

Comment

• drizzly
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by eleven crows View Post
                    Well, it was a fairly stupid question. Renovateur is not recommended as it contains turpentine. There's a specific cordovan cream if you really want to use it.

Believe it or not, questions like this produce faithful results via google.
                    elaborate? i asked a question in the correct forum that i did not know the answer to. why would i go to google when i have a forum with people that know the answer? Additionally, SZ members would know how to care for CCP while google may give me a general answer in regards to other shoes.

Really get off your high horse and stop being an ass. it is condescending that you give me snide remarks rather then just have a conversation and explain how to treat my ccp boots. In the end the dumbest question is the one not asked so you discouraging me to ask questions is a conflict of being on this forum to begin with. By doing this you make the forum worse. people should ask questions in the correct threads, nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: read in several places and have mixed answers on saphir cream and cordovan

Comment

• eleven crows
                      • Mar 2011

All right. There wasn't any malice intended.

Cordovan has the virtue of being an oily leather. You shouldn't need to moisturise it too much. Go ahead and use the renovateur. Just don't use too much. There's also a specific cordovan product from saphir you may want to consider, or another brand.

Personally I like my shoes a little beat up and only really wipe my cordovan shoes off with a cloth when dirty.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                        • Feb 2010

^it is correct that cordovan is quite oily but it won't stay like this forever. I apply a tiny amount of renovateur twice a year and all boots are fine.

Comment

• drizzly
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2012

thanks guys,

this is how the boots look right now, its a bit of a dull black and i thought it looked a bit dry, should i use any saphir cream on them or let them be?

Photo Aug 06, 10 44 39 AM

Photo Aug 06, 10 44 30 AM

Photo Aug 06, 10 44 08 AM

Photo Aug 06, 10 43 46 AM

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2009

^ it's not going to hurt man. i've used quite a few different products on my carol leather. i worked at a bar for a while and the alcohol used to really dry out the cuffs. i'd just put a leather conditioner all over it, no specific product, i've used otter wax, rm williams leather conditioner, and saphir, as well as a natural beeswax conditioner. they'll be fine.

btw, best way is to apply directly using your hands, the heat will help it absorb into the leather. with conditioners, i don't usually bother to buff/polish them after either. just rub it in and forget about it

Comment

• drizzly
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2012

thanks for tip, by small amount you still mean enough to cover the whole boot? Also very brave to wear CCP to a bar with all the alcohol splashing on it.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
                                Also very brave to wear CCP to a bar with all the alcohol splashing on it.
                                ^why? it's a leather jacket. and a pretty tough, heavy one at that. i think the idea of being precious with something just because it was expensive is absurd, to be honest. a good leather looks better with wear, it should definitely take the abuse of your lifestyle. i wouldn't treat my suit the same way but the whole reason i wear that leather jacket day after day is because it doesn't matter what kinda mess i'm gonna end up in.

i'd advise the same with your boots. they're cordovan, they can take a beating.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎