Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guardimp
    • Jun 2010

That is an easy diy fix if you have a needle and thread. Just restitch through the holes that are already there and good as new.

Comment

• blackfedora
      • Jan 2012

^ Easier said that done. Using a simple running stitch is not the most secure stitch. I've hand stitched leather a number of times with a running stitch and it is quite time consuming. Cobblers don't normally do that sort of repair by hand. They use a machine with a swing arm. I've blown out the stitching on the vamp portion of tornadoes and it took a little manipulation to get it under the machine. I've also blown out the stitching half way down the tongue of CCP drips and that required tedious hand stitching as the shoe does not open enough to get under the sewing machine properly. On the double zip boots, hopefully it can be opened enough to boot under the machine. Worse comes to worse, as Guardimp said, the boots can be repaired using a hand stitch, but it takes a while.
      Last edited by blackfedora; 02-16-2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• guardimp
        • Jun 2010

A while is an understatement. It could take half a day if you do it right.

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
          A while is an understatement. It could take half a day if you do it right.
          You got that right. I made a pair of shearling trigger mitts over the holidays this year and it took about > 50 hours of hand stitching to complete. Definitely worth it now, as it's been consistently -25 degrees Celsius over the last couple of weeks.
          Last edited by blackfedora; 02-21-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

Looked through the thread, but couldn't find much mention of shoelaces...

I need to replace the laces on some Julius combats. I found this site:
            Over 2000 high quality, low cost shoelaces and shoe lace products including Dress, Athletic, Boot, Hiking, and many more Laces. Shop for shoelaces online today!

It seems fairly thorough...but I have no idea of the style I'm looking for.

Give me a clue, please...

Comment

• jskidder1
              • Jan 2011

thanks for the feedback. as long as it can be repaired i'm happy.

Comment

• Denpatou
                • Jan 2010

moved to austin a little over a month ago--anyone know of a good cobbler?
                SEMI-SORTED. / DRUNKEN HEARTED

Comment

• mikko
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
                  i've experienced this before. as i understand it's not related to neglect, rather it was just a bad hide. i'd try contacting simone.
                  Is there any way to actually get a response from him?

Comment

• Marlon
                    • Sep 2011

Does anybody know a good dyer in Paris please ? I'd like to dye a pair of leather shoes. Thank you in advance.

Comment

• jskidder1
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mikko View Post
                      Is there any way to actually get a response from him?
                      no idea, but i'd try:

info@adiciannoveventitre.com

i've contacted guidi and bbs in a similar manner and got responses from both.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                        • Dec 2012

Question for the French / parisian members... any advice on a good shoe-repair / cobbler that would be able to get a decent job done on putting vibram soles on a pair of A1923 sneakers OTHER THAN ATELIER CATTELAN?
                        (A quick search on the forum hasn't given me any info other than cattelan)

I went to Atelier Cattelan, which is supposed to be one of the best around (if not the best? not sure) and the guy there was completely surprised by my request, seemed that he couldn't even conceive one would want to "extend life" on a pair of sneakers, which he thought were Converse.
                        They told me it wasn't possible, or at least they couldn't do it.

I also asked them to resole a pair of BBS bambas which have been little used but look like totally beat up (rusted eyelets, etc.), they thought I was crazy to want to spend "so much" money for what seemed like an old pair of beat up sneaks. (they didnt want to at first, they accepted to try when I showed them the bambas had already been resoled by a cobbler...)

least is to say I didn't expect that from what seems to be a super duper premium cobbler... (cf. their website). A "crappy" (probably self-taught) shoe-repair guy in Mexico city did an amazing job on resoling my bambas without all this fuss...

Comment

• bukka
                          • Sep 2011

Got the most annoying issue of salt on my black calf backzip guidi. I tried to wash it with hot water and cloth, then applying boot cream, brush them, polishing cloth, whatever, the damn white stain comes back on the sole after a day or so. Anyone with a miraculous solution? Thanks in advance.
                          Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Marlon
                            • Sep 2011

@Nomadic Planet : Try "A la ville A la montagne" near Bastille, he did a very good job on my Guidi boots. Also he has a large panel of vibram (size, colors etc..).

Already asked but, does anyone know a good dyer in Paris ?
                            Would like to dye a pair of cordovan derby black.

Comment

• SpaceCowboy
                              • Feb 2014

Just wondering how easy it would be getting a fix on the stitching around the sole of one of my RO ramones? I notice the stitching and skipped a hole and am thinking of getting it fixed, would a cobbler be able to do this better or would sending it to RO for repairs (assuming they do that) be more appropriate?
                              Any help is great, thanks folks

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
                                Just wondering how easy it would be getting a fix on the stitching around the sole of one of my RO ramones? I notice the stitching and skipped a hole and am thinking of getting it fixed, would a cobbler be able to do this better or would sending it to RO for repairs (assuming they do that) be more appropriate?
                                Any help is great, thanks folks
                                Should be an easy fix, assuming the stitching is real. The stitch issue is entirely aesthetic though.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎