X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussy
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Couldn't be bothered to get it done by a cobbler (since mine didnt have clear heel taps), so added them myself. Have been wearing them for about three weeks with the taps and are they still on.
    Thanks! Just had them put in today, might have them redone soon with a larger size though. They sit a bit awkwardly and I feel that a larger size might better fit the curve of the heel.

Comment

• morsto
      • Nov 2008

went to the cobbler with my guidi 995 recently, to get protection under the heel. I asked for taps but he said that the right thing would be to replace the bottom heel "layer" -- any of you guys had the same done? I just said sure but now I'm gettin nervous since it seems everyone has gets heel taps done
      I do not recognise the vessel,
      but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• GlassOrganelle
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by morsto View Post
        went to the cobbler with my guidi 995 recently, to get protection under the heel. I asked for taps but he said that the right thing would be to replace the bottom heel "layer" -- any of you guys had the same done? I just said sure but now I'm gettin nervous since it seems everyone has gets heel taps done
        I never get taps - I had a rubber layer placed on the heel and it's fine!

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by morsto View Post
          I do both with my boots. Typically, the bottom layer of the leather heel is removed and replaced with a thicker rubber vibram layer (4-5mm) than that of the front piece of rubber vibram (1-2mm) because the boots need to be properly balanced after the two different thickness' of rubber are affixed. If not, the boot tends to see-saw on the front edge of the heel and cause distress to the arch of the foot as well as destabilize the gait. I use a heel tap as well, because like many folks, I overpronate (plant with the outer portion of my heels and push off with my big toe) and wear down the rubber disproportionately at the outer edge of my heels. A new set of rubber heels costs $30-45 depending on your cobbler and location, while a new set of heels taps costs~$5. I let my heel taps disintegrate just before winter because they are really slippery on ice compared to plain rubber heels. Also during the winter, the pavement/concrete is covered with ice/snow thus I wear the rubber heels down much more slowly than in the summer when the walking surfaces are much more abrasive.

Comment

• okayvin
            • Sep 2013

i'm getting a pair of officine creative as winter boots (i expect salt damage but not heavy rain so it doesn't have to be waterproof).

it has a rubber half sole stitched on but I want to add a Topy because that would be cheaper than having to replace the stitched half sole.

does anybody here have experience with Topying a rubber half sole?

Comment

• savant
              • Jul 2011

Hey guys, where can I get cream/off-white lace replacement for Geobasket/Ramones ?

Comment

• gawkrodger
                • Jun 2013

Recommendations for a decent London cobbler - Need to re-heel a pair of Layer-0 boots

Comment

• Extreme Mildness
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by okayvin View Post
                  i'm getting a pair of officine creative as winter boots (i expect salt damage but not heavy rain so it doesn't have to be waterproof).

it has a rubber half sole stitched on but I want to add a Topy because that would be cheaper than having to replace the stitched half sole.

I had something similar with my TLC boots. They came with a hard rubber insert on the sole (didn't reach the edges though). My cobbler told me the glue wouldn't stick to the existing rubber properly, so he first had to shave off that layer (costed about an extra 15$). I can't quite picture what your boots look like, but I'd imagine a similar procedure would be your safest bet.

Comment

• okayvin
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Extreme Mildness View Post
                    I had something similar with my TLC boots. They came with a hard rubber insert on the sole (didn't reach the edges though). My cobbler told me the glue wouldn't stick to the existing rubber properly, so he first had to shave off that layer (costed about an extra 15$). I can't quite picture what your boots look like, but I'd imagine a similar procedure would be your safest bet.
                    it's the same type of sole as pictured here:

or this one

I'm not sure if the rubber could be shaved off since it is stitched on. And I'm not sure if it needs to be shaved off since it is a half-sole rather than an insert.

Comment

• yubbermax
                      • Jun 2014

Just wear down the rubber half sole

Comment

• okayvin
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by yubbermax View Post
                        Just wear down the rubber half sole
                        and what happens when I have to replace it? is there potential to damage the shoe?
                        it looks like some variant of Blake stitching. if they restitch the sole for each resole, the insole is gonna feel weird with new holes and stitches
                        I want a Topy because its safer and cheaper
                        Last edited by okayvin; 11-29-2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• sshum88
                          • Dec 2007

Ask your cobbler
                          and what happens when I have to replace it? is there potential to damage the shoe?
                          Originally posted by eat me
                          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• okayvin
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by sshum88 View Post
                            Ask your cobbler
                            /thread i guess

Comment

• savant
                              • Jul 2011

Shoegoo, anyone using them ?

I'm about to receive a brand new pair of leather Ramones and sorta want to preserve the heel from any sort of drag etc

Friend suggested Shoegoo but i've seen people on SZ add heeltaps

Thoughts?

Comment

• okayvin
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by savant View Post
                                Shoegoo, anyone using them ?

I'm about to receive a brand new pair of leather Ramones and sorta want to preserve the heel from any sort of drag etc

Friend suggested Shoegoo but i've seen people on SZ add heeltaps

Thoughts?
                                its cheap and it can be peeled off the rubber sole; no harm in trying. i use it to glue on heel taps . i also put some (shoegoo, not heel taps) on the toe area once and it lasted quite a long time. but it looks kind of plasticky so it won't blend. they make clear and black shoe goo.

edit: I used it on a Topy sole. idk how it will work on sneaker soles
                                Last edited by okayvin; 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎