X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BECOMING-INTENSE
    • Jan 2008

Re: dilemna

[quote user="laika"][quote user="kira"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

Hmmmm! I used to play basketball when I was younger, after eight years I quit,
    I guess I was tired bouncing balls with a group of men ... One day half asleep,
    I stumbled into a dancestudio ... ballet class ... a quite stunnig sight met me, I was
    right awake ... a space full of female bodies, moving, in skintight fabrics, revealing
    every line and curve of these beautiful bodies ... I have never left ... hmmm, what was
    it I wanted to say? I think I lost track ... Ahhh yes! Style philosophy! [51]

[/quote]

The question is, are they interested? Especially with the pervasive gay stereotype in dance.

[/quote]

true. the stereotype is there for sure. but in my experience not as predominant as one tends to think.

[/quote]

ah, but this what makes becoming-intense's strategy so brilliant....[79]

[/quote]

Clever girl you are! Don't tell [79] ...

London-Copenhagen-Berlin-Copenhagen-London

Auf Wiedersehen [51]

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• iSuck
      • Mar 2008

My personal motto...

Clothing Optional

Comment

• mamaboy
        • Mar 2008

Re: My personal motto...

i d like to live (and dress) like a poor man with alot of money

somehow this quote is soooo appealing to me....

but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• cpaik
          • Nov 2007

Comment

• TypicalFashion
            • Mar 2007

haha, looks like the brand mood board i was reviewing for a DeBeers pitch i am working on!

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

[quote user="kira"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

I stumbled into a dancestudio ... ballet class ... a quite stunnig sight met me, I was
              right awake ... a space full of female bodies, moving, in skintight fabrics, revealing
              every line and curve of these beautiful bodies
              ... I have never left ... hmmm, what was

[/quote]

never understood why more men did not come for that reason alone...[^o)]

I too used to dribble a bit with basketball. was short so i could very easily sneak in and out for the lay-up. I never got tired of *&^*%$*^# with the men.[83] But I too happened into a dance class one day, it was a stunning experience for sure. Not quite for the same reasons as you, but have never left permanently myself either, been a part of my life for many many years. just got back into it after a bit of a hiatus.

back to style philosophy [51]

do you find that dance has influenced the type of clothing that you wear? fabric, style, fit, etc.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I've left your question hang there for so long, but I just returned back from
              my nomadic wanderings[64] ...

As I do think clothing has very much to do with bodily expression, movement, intensities,
              lines, postures, shapes, matter, etc. I can only say yes. I have studied contemporary dance
              and ballet and worked in dance for now 10 years, and it becomes very much your life, it's all
              consuming in every aspect of your life, especially in the study years, where you're stuck in a
              dance studio everyday and all day. If you watch most dancer dabble slowly into dance class or
              rehearsals you would noticed layesr upon layers of material, draping down their bodies. As they
              progress into the class and the movement intense in speed and physicality and are lifted into the air,
              they start to peal of those layers down to skin tight fabrics that reveals every part of their bodies.
              This has of course much to do with functionality, as to keep the body warm and comfortable, for
              then to free the body, its movements and visibility for any restriction. In contrast, not as opposing,
              the perfomance space, as also showed in the beautiful photos of Lamentation you posted, the restriction
              of fabric can very much open up possibilities for "new" kind of movement, intensities and expressiveness.
              I think theses aspects has very much influenced the way I dress and sense clothing.
              They are closely connected [51]

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

This has of course much to do with functionality, as to keep the body warm and comfortable, for
                then to free the body, its movements and visibility for any restriction. In contrast, not as opposing,
                the perfomance space, as also showed in the beautiful photos of Lamentation you posted, the restriction
                of fabric can very much open up possibilities for "new" kind of movement, intensities and expressiveness.

[/quote]

I think this contrast is also part of what makes Martha Graham's "modernist" project different from Loie's baroque expressiveness.....but we can talk about this in the other thread, of course. Lovely post. [64]

So glad you are back, my dear, Iwas afraidI had been auf'd for good this time! [79]

[74]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

[/quote]

I think this contrast is also part of what makes Martha Graham's "modernist" project different from Loie's baroque expressiveness.....but we can talk about this in the other thread, of course. Lovely post. [64]

So glad you are back, my dear, Iwas afraidI had been auf'd for good this time! [79]

[74]

[/quote]

No, no [86] ... it was a full circle wandering(see the post prior!) I'm glad to be back too dearest![79] [51] ...

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• kira
                    • Mar 2008

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"][quote user="kira"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

every line and curve of these beautiful bodies
                    ... I have never left ... hmmm, what was

[/quote]

never understood why more men did not come for that reason alone...[^o)]

I too used to dribble a bit with basketball. was short so i could very easily sneak in and out for the lay-up. I never got tired of *&^*%$*^# with the men.[83] But I too happened into a dance class one day, it was a stunning experience for sure. Not quite for the same reasons as you, but have never left permanently myself either, been a part of my life for many many years. just got back into it after a bit of a hiatus.

back to style philosophy [51]

do you find that dance has influenced the type of clothing that you wear? fabric, style, fit, etc.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I've left your question hang there for so long, but I just returned back from
                    my nomadic wanderings[64] ...

As I do think clothing has very much to do with bodily expression, movement, intensities,
                    lines, postures, shapes, matter, etc. I can only say yes. I have studied contemporary dance
                    and ballet and worked in dance for now 10 years, and it becomes very much your life, it's all
                    consuming in every aspect of your life, especially in the study years, where you're stuck in a
                    dance studio everyday and all day. If you watch most dancer dabble slowly into dance class or
                    rehearsals you would noticed layesr upon layers of material, draping down their bodies. As they
                    progress into the class and the movement intense in speed and physicality and are lifted into the air,
                    they start to peal of those layers down to skin tight fabrics that reveals every part of their bodies.
                    then to free the body, its movements and visibility for any restriction
                    . In contrast, not as opposing,
                    I think theses aspects has very much influenced the way I dress and sense clothing.
                    They are closely connected [51]

[/quote]

nomadic wandering...sounds interesting. more elaboration?

I think this articulates perfectly why i choose to wear what I do. it does transfer out of the studio. I am not living in the studio all day right now, but my mind is there. I have always adopted the layering and now more drapery at times. But at the same time i have very tight close layers to my skin as well. i think it provides the warmth as you say, but it also provide some thing more. I think you almost become dependent on the layers, it becomes more of an emotional necessity. It becomes interconnected with your action in the studio and out. It has become integral to my everyday existence. Perhaps this is because when you dance at some point there is a transcendence or realization that the expression of dance/movement is your entire being.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

A lot of new members ...
                      Not enough "philosophy."

Share your thoughts!

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                        A lot of new members ...
                        Not enough "philosophy."

Share your thoughts!

Let me spare you some effort, "Where2kop?"
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• what_counts
                          • Mar 2008

don't really have much to add here but I just wanted to say this is probably my favorite thread to read lol
                          as for my philosophy, I'm broke so I save what little money i have and visit AB once every once in a while

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Let me spare you some effort, "Where2kop?"
                            Yes I know, it seems like some people are utterly afraid of investing more than money into their clothing ...

But I wont start to cry as of yet!
                            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• davo10375
                              • Nov 2008

I'll make my first post in this thread, just to get started and to prove new members can contribute. I'd also like to state that im never this serious and this post may be edited and re-written in a manner than reflects this post-exams :)

Where2kop?

Seriously though, while I don't follow the typical aesthetic of this forum to the nth degree I believe this forum represents an overall philosophy towards clothing. I think to a certain degree this forum does see fashion as one of the arts, in a similar category to actual art, music, architecture and so on. The way members speak about enjoying the designer loves what they do and that they connect to this is parallel to the way many feel about music and art.

Id say I am slowly gravitating to a similar philosophy, in that I can like certain pieces without seeing wearability for myself; I can look at some pieces and admire them in the same way an art-lover can visit an art gallery and stare at the painting. At the same time, I strongly believe style shouldn't be taken too seriously and is something to have fun with; I personally would never want to dress head to toe in black, drapeing clothes. This probably reflects my age, and thus my need to sex women (this post was never going to be that serious) or the fact that I don't see the "fun" or attraction in it. I think one thing i would like to achieve is the ability to feel 100% comfortable in what I'm wearing, in a way which makes me look good.

In terms of a more specific way of dressing, I'm still trying to define my still. One idea or way of dressing I'd like to pursue further is what I'm going to claim is called "disturbed prep/classic" dressing. Kind of a rich harvard law student forced to fight zombies in a post-apocalyptic world, with his only allies being jessica alba clones. I don't want to dress head to toe in black, and I want to try layer where possible. One thing that sort of prevents me from "dressing-up" each day is practicality in terms of both the weather (im in australia, not going to be wearing leather jackets with 3 layers underneath) and my actions. I'm still a normal guy; I love the beach, play a lot of sport and like going out clubbing. Sometimes I'll chuck on a singlet, short board shorts and thongs (flip-flops) if i'm just going to a mate's house or to the beach. To me this is practical and the way in which I feel comfortable in these situations.

I promise that all of my future posts will end at where2kop :\

(apologies for lack of coherence, sense isn't my first language during exams)
                              Last edited by davo10375; 11-17-2008, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

^Thank you Davo for being brave, it is tears of joy!

I do somehow agree with you in seeing clothing as pieces of art, or as our new alley cat puts it "I think fashion is part of art, people dressing up nicely everyday is like making an art work of their own.."

Now i don't see this as something that is entirely inherent to depth and seriousness, we could operate with and on surfaces, but of course it could be ...
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍